Biscayne Bay Smörgåsbord

Hit North Biscayne Bay about 0800 looking for whatever. Tried the trout flats for an hour and a half with nothing to show for it but some pinfish-chewed up soft baits. Since bluefish and mackerel had been showing up lately, I headed to the deep channel and tossed on a refurbished crystal minnow. Quickly hook up with a nice Spanish Mack, followed a few minutes later by a nice bluefish. The bite died again, so I paddled south of the causeway and got a just keeper size trout and another bluefish. Not exactly what I was expecting for the day, but it filled up the fish-bag and got a bend in the rod. All the fish were caught trolling today, even the trash fish.

r103.jpg

r116.jpg

r110.jpg

r112.jpg
Gotta get a lizardfish in the mix.

r118.jpg
bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info

Replies

• frankthetankfrankthetank Posts: 863 Officer
    looks like you were the only smart one went out in the boat offshore instead of the yak. caught nothing but ballyhoo for the next trip. all the captains were complaneing on the radio
    :fishing
    OCEAN KAYAK: PROWLER 13
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Nice work Roger. Looks like ur the only one who had a productive day.
    It's been a long time since I got a chance to play with some blue's, had work today if not I would of been deep offshore.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,211 Moderator
    You did better than most Roger, congrats.
    Loki and I were a bit south of you but all I got was undersized trout, a houndfish and a very determined baby barracuda :rotflmao
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,618 Captain
    Nice catch. Good to see fish in the north bay.
  • No tarpon around? Been planning to head down that way since offshore has been a bust lately and I'm reluctant to drop the money driving to ENP.
  • 1OzLead1OzLead Posts: 352 Officer
    Nice Haul Roger. It's good to see you on the water!
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Tight work Bugsy :)
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    I thought about going offshore since the weather was perfect, but I'm glad I decided to take it easy and stay in the bay since that's where the fish were. Other than the trout, the other fish were all in deeper water over bare bottom. Did not see any tarpon rolling about. Back in the old days the Spanish Macs would run through Rickenbacker and Bear Cut bridges from time to time, so those areas are worth a troll if you're in the vicinity.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • Jim720Jim720 Posts: 93 Deckhand
    nice work!!
  • Gauz ManGauz Man Posts: 45 Deckhand
    Nice catch, I fish the same area and usually do best with soft plastics but lately most of my fish have been trolled up too.
    Ocean Kayak Pro Staff - Member of Team Ocean Kayak Florida

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file