Winchester Ranger .30-30

monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
Hey guys i just got a Winchester ranger 30-30 from my dad but he didnt have any of the paper work like manuals and that stuff. after looking online i cant find one for a ranger but i keep finding a bunch for a model 94 does any one happen to have a manual for this rifle. also how can you date a Winchester rifle by the serial number. also he says it is registered to my mom from when they were married any way i can look up to see if it is actually registered to her and if so switch the registration to my name. one last question i will probably use this rifle for hog hunting can any one recommend a decent scope for it i dont want to break the bank on a scope if i dont have to but i also dont want one that sucks. sorry for all the questions but i figured it would be easier to ask them all in one topic then make a few posts for each question
ted.gif
ted.gif

Replies

• anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    they were made between 1985 and 2006 try ebay
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    i know when they were made but im wondering if there is a way to date this rifle its self.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
    whats the s #
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
    my time line ends at 5mm but i found this sorrry cant give u a solid year.Your serial number is higher than the list I use. It stops at 5 million one hundred thousand, with 1983. For the ten years before that, they were making about 100,000 a year. With yours being 5 million 4, I'd guess 1985 or 6.

When costs started to get too high, Winchester looked for a way to lower them. They wanted to still be able to sell the 94 for 150 dollars or so. So they came up with the Ranger. Instead of having walnut stocks, it has walnut-stained birch. Bluing wasn't as shiny, as they didn't spend as much time polishing the steel first. The gun worked the same, it just was not quite as pretty. They started making them in '85, so yours is one of the first ones. In '03, they were a hundred dollars less than the regular 94. MSRP was 371, vs. 477.
    i found a owners manual for the model 94 and it shows a safety right where the hammer is this one has no safety that i can see. sorry for the stupid questions i have never owned a lever action rifle
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • spfldbowhunterspfldbowhunter Posts: 889 Officer
    Find a Nikon Prostaff on sale this weekend. As for registering the gun in your name?!? There's no such thing bro, enjoy it and be glad you live in a country where such things aren't required.
    Eph. 3:20
  • sls321sls321 Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Find a Nikon Prostaff on sale this weekend. As for registering the gun in your name?!? There's no such thing bro, enjoy it and be glad you live in a country where such things aren't required.

Great scope for the money. Works well in low light.
    ok. thanks ill check it out. what is a good round for this gun i heard i cant shoot pointed tip rounds since the recoil could set off the other rounds in the tube.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • sls321sls321 Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    You can use a Hornady Leverelvolution. They use a flexible tip pointed tip that give you better accuracy. The cost is a little more if you prefer a pointed bullet.
    What would be a good round for target shooting and a good round for hogs. I will most likely sight in with the round for hogs
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,170 Admiral
    You don't have to register a firearm in FL.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    Ok that's good.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • spfldbowhunterspfldbowhunter Posts: 889 Officer
    x2 on the LeverEvolutions, if your gun likes them. I've seen a few barrels that won't pattern them. They're a good hog round and i use them in my Marlin. Use your hunting round to sight in and for target practice.
    Eph. 3:20
    my buddy is picking me up a box or 2 of ammo to pay off this rod i built for him maybe i can con him into getting me the leverevolutions
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • JesseJamesJesseJames Posts: 2,408 Officer
    X3 On the Hornady Lever Evolution Ammo.

I have a Marlin Model 1894 in the .44 Mag. I looked at a lot of different scope options but settled on a Leupold VXI 2x7x33. Anything bigger is too much scope for your LA. Even with the Hornady LE ammo you've got about a 100yd +/- gun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
    Ill check that scope out. I still have to find the mount for this gun since it has to be mounted off to the side
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • slayer 52slayer 52 Posts: 176 Officer
    I have an older Winchester lever action also. It's only safety is that you have to squeeze the lever or the trigger won't move. Is yours a top eject?
    No angle eject.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,234 Officer
    The angle eject rifles were made for mounting a scope on top instead of side mount like the older M94s. The only "safety" you have is the half-**** position on the hammer, and that can be unreliable if the gun has seen a lot of use or abuse. Carry the rifle with an empty chamber and quietly load a round when ready to fire. If you're going to use the half-**** hammer as a safety PLEASE PRACTICE with an empty magazine until you can reliably lower the hammer to the half **** position. I would only use the half-**** hammer when sitting in a stand with the rifle pointed in a safe direction, ie the ground. As mentioned above, the lever has to be squeezed to fire the rifle but this is not a safety and is completed by simply placing your fingers in the lever bow in the normal position for firing. For deer and hogs the standard 150 grain roundnose bullets work just fine. This is a 150 yard gun and has killed millions of deer, hogs, black bears and even moose with that bullet. Beyond 150 yards there is just not enough energy left to reliably expand the bullet. I've always used mine with open sights and it makes a nice light, easy-to-carry little rifle for tree stand or walking. If you don't like the open sights look into a Ghost Ring setup with fiber optic front sight. www.xssights.com is one good example.
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    I have an old 94 top eject neat gun I like the standard 150gr jacketed soft points remington core lokt I have never personally played with the leverevolution rounds but would be better for a scoped gun
  • JesseJamesJesseJames Posts: 2,408 Officer
    fish_stix wrote: »
    The angle eject rifles were made for mounting a scope on top instead of side mount like the older M94s. The only "safety" you have is the half-**** position on the hammer, and that can be unreliable if the gun has seen a lot of use or abuse. Carry the rifle with an empty chamber and quietly load a round when ready to fire. If you're going to use the half-**** hammer as a safety PLEASE PRACTICE with an empty magazine until you can reliably lower the hammer to the half **** position. I would only use the half-**** hammer when sitting in a stand with the rifle pointed in a safe direction, ie the ground. As mentioned above, the lever has to be squeezed to fire the rifle but this is not a safety and is completed by simply placing your fingers in the lever bow in the normal position for firing. For deer and hogs the standard 150 grain roundnose bullets work just fine. This is a 150 yard gun and has killed millions of deer, hogs, black bears and even moose with that bullet. Beyond 150 yards there is just not enough energy left to reliably expand the bullet. I've always used mine with open sights and it makes a nice light, easy-to-carry little rifle for tree stand or walking. If you don't like the open sights look into a Ghost Ring setup with fiber optic front sight. www.xssights.com is one good example.

Definitely agree with everything posted here. Half-cocked is for sitting still. I thought about staying with the open sights or a going with ghost rings, but decided to go with a scope because I felt like I was losing shooting light on both sides of the day. Totally a personal choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
  • dannosdoormatsdannosdoormats Posts: 161 Deckhand
    Fish Stix got it right! Just keep it simple. If you have to have a scope, just get a cheap 4x, thats all you need 100-150yd gun.
  • red owlred owl Posts: 639 Officer
    If the gun is not an angle eject then the scope mounted on the side is sort of a less than ideal situation as your head cannot be kept on the stock in a normal position. If you are going to use it for hog hunting why do you want a scope? I used to hunt black bears up in Canada and never used a scope and at 40 yards could usually get a heart shot that would drop the bear in about 20 yards. On a hog you have to track down you are far better off without a scope.
    The main advantage of a scope is that just about anyone can take the rifle without any practice and knock down any critter within 100 yards, the open sights require a little more practice but once you get good I think they are far superior for hunting at 50 yards or less. On longer ranges (150 yards) the open sights are usually inadequate.
    On the cartridge, I'd go with the 170 grain bullet, it will drive deeper into the hog and it was the 170 grain cartridge that made the 30-30 famous. Try several different brands of ammo- it makes a difference. In my case I tried remington and could only get 4-5" groups at around 50 yards but with Winchester silver tips the holes were just about cutting each other.
    Nowadays I load with Hornaday 170 grain flat points. The rubber tips spire bullets were designed for long range shooting.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 2,976 Captain
    I have a sense I will eventually "go back" to my Winchester 30/30 Trapper with Leupold Compact scope.
    Inside a quarter at fifty yards/rest/common inexpensive Core-Loct ammo.
    So compact.Trim,multiple shots,no machinery protrusions/magazine."One Piece" tube feed. Great in the hand,on the shoulder,at the side.
    The original 'assault' rifle,least likely to show up in the news.So far.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • red owlred owl Posts: 639 Officer
    Actually I think The ideal Florida set up would be a 2 1/2x fixed power scope with quick detached rings. If you were on a tree stand you could use the spire type lever-ution type bullets and sight in for the long range. If you had to follow up a wounded hog in the thickets you could take off the scope and use 170 grain flat points, at close range the accuracy isn't that much a factor. Has anyone set up like this?
  • KRUSTYKRUSTY Posts: 96 Deckhand
    I use a 30-30 marlin stainless with 3x9-40 leupold and use Rem Core lokt 170g. Bullseye at 50 yards and 2" groups with warm barrel at 100 yards. I tried out all kind of fancy expensive ammo but always came back to the 170 core lokt, most consistent results IMO. The added speed of the leverevolution is only marginal due to the lighter weight of the projectile (-10 grains)not worth the cost for a brush gun.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 2,976 Captain
    Winchester 30/30 "Trapper" with low fixed power Leopold "Compact" scope has produced excellent accuracy with Remington Core Loct.Funky trigger creep but I am used to it .Trim, lightweight and ideal in all respects.
    I had an experienced gunsmith mount the scope. At the time he had not seen the Leupold "Compact" scope and he was very impressed with the rig. Real impressed, not just giving compliments. Also replaced the original plastic butt plate with quality rubber and ordered and affixed a barrel band with sling attachment rather than attaching a sling to the tube.
    The Trapper spoiled me and when I moved "up" it was to a compact Ruger single shot.
    I now have the Trapper set up with peep sight, the original front sight blade has been replaced with a post.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file