Gator hunting in Wakulla County

My buddy bought 2 tags today for Wakulla county. I agreed to take him if he would pay for the tag.

I was thinking of the Ochlockonee river as being a good place to try. Any others?

I'm sure Sopchoppy Adam would have some good advice. Anybody got one on private property and would like to participate in the hunt?

Replies

• capt roncapt ron Posts: 137 Deckhand
    Here's a Franklin County gator.

s--6.jpg
  • TheGentlemanTheGentleman Posts: 228 Officer
    Careful Gents! You can rest assured, an alligator is no gentleman.

Good Day Sirs
    Jameson Atwater III
    Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.
    Theodore Roosevelt

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    The wakulla river has it's share. If yall aren't only giant hunting there's a 6-8 footer that is usually within 200 yards of the docks at Shell Island around sunset every evening.
  • bbbbbb Posts: 955 Officer
    I might would go 8. I know fine colonel would be ok with 8 considering he can't swim and he thought this was a daylight activity. He's darker skin than I.

Is the wakulla river open from the fence down to the refuge?
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 11,958 AG
    I wish the tags were for Miccosukee. While fishing yesterday morning I had 5 different gators between 8-10' get 20 yds from me in the gheenoe. One of them even charged me and got to within 5' of the boat (and coming full speed) before I kicked the trolling motor in high gear. I've never seen them act like this in the past????
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • line dancerline dancer Posts: 233 Officer
    maybe the are still mating tommy
  • IAMIAM Posts: 234 Officer
    I've seen some 4-6ft'ers in the mid section of Ock, but the ones in Wakulla river (that I've seen) are usually really small.
    12ft'ers all day long in the Everglades.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 11,958 AG
    maybe the are still mating tommy

I still hear a couple sounding off but not like in April and early May. This one particular gator followed me for 200 yds before it got aggressive. All of the others would stay close but wasn't a threat like the one was. Sorry for the derail, cary on.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • line dancerline dancer Posts: 233 Officer
    thats what I mean he was just lonly looking for some lovin tommy
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,094 Admiral
    Just where do you stick them with that gig Dale?
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,100 Captain
    bbb wrote: »
    Is the wakulla river open from the fence down to the refuge?

To answer the question, yes, it looks like it is. Wakulla County is its own Management Unit. I don't see anything separate for the Ochlocknee River or Wakulla River so that makes it fair game. Also, I think they've changed some of the rules for this season and you might be able to do it during daylight hours. Not 100% on that though.

The only areas around here (although I know they're outside Wakulla County) that don't fall under the County Management Unit are the Wacissa River, Lake Iamonia, Lake Miccosukee, Lake Talquin, and Lake Seminole
  • TheGentlemanTheGentleman Posts: 228 Officer
    Ah. Teeth. Troy, Jacob, Tommy and Willie would love to meet him.

Good Day Sirs
    Jameson Atwater III
    Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.
    Theodore Roosevelt

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file