Offshore Variety with a Bonus Sighting

With the recent winds, we wanted to wait a few days until the water cleared up. My cousin Tan wanted to show some east coast friends what it was like to fish on our side of the state. We loaded up with lots of live shrimp, white bait, and frozen sardines. Great day to be out on the water...overcast clouds, slight breeze, small chop. Mystery sighting of the day: As we were going out, Tan spotted a sailfish...he said it popped its bill and sail out of the water while chasing bait. That would have been a cool sight, considering we were only in about 50-60' and 20 mi out. We got to our first spot in 65'. Gene was the first to drop down a shrimp and gets railed on his light tackle setup. The fish kept digging and running all over the boat. After a tough fight, we netted a nice 35" cobia. I had to rerig so many types as I was getting torn apart from some toothy critters. Eventually, we were able to start landing them...nice sized Spanish macks (our underwater footage showed a huge school below us). Tan got hammered...and his rod/reel were put through the test with a 25-30# smoker king. It ran him ragged and he needed a beer after it beat him up a bit. haha

Rich and I started to fill the fish bag with delicious mangoes and mackerals. Once the current shifted, we decided to hit another spot that normally had hogs. No luck this time...but we did manage some nice African Pompanos and my 2nd ever flag yellowtail. Rich and Gene were really impressed with all the types of fish we caught. Thank goodness! haha

body bag count: 20 mango snappers, 15 spanish macks, 1 king, 1 cobia, 1 yellowtail, 1 bar jack...released tons of grouper (gag, red, scamp), triggers, african pomps

Equipment:
Reels: 4000 - 5000 spinning reels
Rod: 7' Med Light - Med - Heavy
Line: 20# braid line, 14-20# leader
Bait: live shrimp, white bait, frozen sardines

Bottom: rock piles

Weather:
Seas: 1-2'
Wind: 7-10 kt West
Air Temp: 74
Water Temp: 70
Clarity: 20'

Replies

• SalmonHawkSalmonHawk Posts: 86 Deckhand
    Nicely done! What does PAG stand for?
  • HognockerHognocker Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    PAG = Pass-A-Grille
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,790 Captain
    My buddy said they saw a sailfish out near the whistler during KOTB this weekend as well. Good job on getting out and catching 'm up...
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • PIERCINLIPSPIERCINLIPS Posts: 191 Officer
    Nice Mix
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,858 Moderator
    What a great mixed bag, nice job on the snaps.
  • the butcherthe butcher Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Great catch guys. Way to show those east coast fellows how we do it. Why didn't you keep any red grp? or scamps?
  • yelladevil17yelladevil17 Posts: 153 Officer
    Thanks guys! Out of all the groupers we had, all were short but one 24" gag. I wish I had a look at the sail. I wasn't paying attention and missed out. That woulda been a cool sight to see.
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Nice African Pompano, too bad it was too small, that is a GREAT tasting fish...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
  • SwamiSwami Posts: 51 Deckhand
    Nicely done guys! That's a great mixed bag there (literally).
  • jewfish7jewfish7 Posts: 517 Officer
    About time you posted a report and a great report at that...congrats on making the front page.
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 651 Officer
    nice - love the light tackle action!
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,558 Officer
    :applause
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • yelladevil17yelladevil17 Posts: 153 Officer
    Thanks man! I learned the secret technique from going out with you. Even had to do the Rich Snapper shuffle on some of the bigger mangs. Haha good luck with AA.
    jewfish7 wrote: »
    About time you posted a report and a great report at that...congrats on making the front page.
  • LilcthefishslayerLilcthefishslayer Posts: 605 Officer
    Looks like a good all around trip!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file