Does anyone use the Yellow Pages anymore?

Just looking for opinions. I personally haven't picked one up in years and our business adds are up soon. We may cut them way back or altogether. Thanks for any input.

Skip

Replies

• ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    They sent me a CD with last years (?) book. I saved it to my laptop in case I got stuck somewhere without internet access.
  • camgcicamgci Posts: 185 Deckhand
    Research shows people over 40 still use the yellow pages. Under 40-google.
  • divn4$divn4$ Posts: 1,528 Captain
    Nope,I dropped my adds a year ago even grabbed my ATT number and put it as my cell.Saved a bunch of money and business is still growing.
    1376843400_20_1_USD_6.25_default.png

Go Navy.....
  • ReaperReaper Posts: 486 Officer
    hell no
    tumblr_lesrrtx1Hc1qe0eclo1_r1_500.gif
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,037 Captain
    Just looking for opinions. I personally haven't picked one up in years and our business adds are up soon. We may cut them way back or altogether. Thanks for any input.

Skip

I prefer regular toilet paper. The yellow pages are just too rough. :grin
    NOTHING IS POLITICALLY RIGHT THAT IS MORALLY WRONG
    ___Abraham Lincoln
  • divn4$divn4$ Posts: 1,528 Captain
    double post please delete
    1376843400_20_1_USD_6.25_default.png

Go Navy.....
  • MoondawgMoondawg Posts: 214 Officer
    Negative..
    Just 'cause the sun don't shine, doesn't mean you can't go fishin'..
    http://www.sixwavelures.com
    100% Handcrafted Wooden Lures & Jig Heads
  • GregHGregH Posts: 241 Deckhand
    Soon as I get it, goes right in the recycle bin.
  • spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Officer
    Skip, while I don't use them at all, and can't think of anybody that does, let me tell you this (and this is only my opinion)....

If you're talking ads for charters, I would renew or cut back on them

But if you're talking about ads for the head boats, I think it might be worth keeping them. Well, at least if you want tourist business, which I'm sure a decent part of your head boat business is. When I go on vacation to someplace I'm not familiar with, one of the first things I like doing is looking through the yellow pages in the hotel room. There's just way too much information on the Internet to try to sort through, and when I'm on vacation, and my time is valuable to me. I want a pizza? I look in the phone book. If I want to go on a head boat, if I didn't already do my research ahead of time, I'm going to look in the phone book to see what boats are around. I'd have to imagine that the majority of tourists decide out of the blue that they want to go on a headboat trip. And if they do like me, they're going to reach for that big yellow book

I hope this tidbit proves valuable to you, and I don't wind up losing you unnecessary money no matter which way you go

But if it's good info, you can always reciprocate with a trip on the Helen S for me, my girl, and my bro. I kid, I kid. Lol. But I do have to get back out there with ya, as it's been probably a year or so since my last trip with you :beer
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
  • JagerschnappsJagerschnapps Posts: 102 Officer
    I partially agree with spinfreak. I know someone who owned a local ac company who used a new phone number for the yellow page add in order to track the amount of calls. The calls generated did not come anywhere close to justify renewing the add. So for locals I would say no. However for tourists I would say maybe, but it seems to me the hotel phone books are a different condensed book then what the residential homes get. Even then for what they want to charge you it may pay to dump more of that money into the pamphlets that sit at the front of the hotels or into the magazines that cater to tourists.
    Hobie Revolution, PA12
  • dive4fooddive4food Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    I haven't looked at the yellow pages in realistically 5 years. The last time I remember looking through them was only because it was thrown on my doorstep. I looked at the tiny print for 2 seconds and it went in the recycling. With the ability to use your phone, laptop or tablet to find businesses either locally (gps and directions provided) or search them in any location, I am surprised yellow pages are still in business.
  • Capt. Skip DanaCapt. Skip Dana Posts: 253 Officer
    The yellow pages knows they are a dying brand and are trying just about anything to get you to renew and push you towards yellowpages.com. I'm with everyone else is goes right in the recycle bin when it gets here. Thanks for all the input guys my mind was made up before but this just helped push me over the edge.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    I would spend the extra $$ on a better web site and pay someone to boost your google rankings.I think advertising agencies can so this..
    Do ya'll keep a facebook account ? That might help.
  • ScottKScottK Posts: 214 Officer
    camgci wrote: »
    Research shows people over 40 still use the yellow pages. Under 40-google.

I'm over 40 and I don't use the Yellow Pages. In fact the phone book goes from the front porch to the recycling bin the same day it arrives.
  • Anonymous 1Anonymous 1 Posts: 51 Deckhand
    GregH wrote: »

This goes for me as well. It shows up and gets promptly delivered to the yellow bin.
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,399 Captain
    ScottK wrote: »
    I'm over 40 and I don't use the Yellow Pages. In fact the phone book goes from the front porch to the recycling bin the same day it arrives.

same here...
  • gdholbrookgdholbrook Posts: 480 Deckhand
    Have used yellowpages.com, but mostly when directed through a search engine. My bro-in-law does accounts for yellowpages.com...e-mail me at [email protected] if you want me to forward you his info and see if he can get you a better deal.

I also second the Google or Yahoo advertising route which you pay a certain amount that you pick, which dictates the order of when you are listed on a search and how much you pay for each time a person clicks on your site from the search engine.
  • FritzFritz Posts: 253 Officer
    I use the yellow pages regularly, I find it as effective or better for fining local business then the internet. I'd love to pitch the books, but they are a valuable resource for me.

On a side note, the last time I used the yellow pages the business man I contacted asked me where I got his name, I told him, he sounded surprised, indicated that he was about to quite advertising in the yellow pages.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,860 Captain
    I probably know less about advertising than most in spite of paying for ads for more than fifteen years in one magazine or other. The one valuable thing I have learned is to always ask a new contact..."Where did you hear about me?" Finding out which (if any) ads actually work is pretty important in my book. By the way the only ad that ever paid off consistently for me has been the one in Florida Sportsman... I've never had a Yellow Pages ad but if I was involved with a drift boat I'd always want one for those folks who are on their first visit to this area.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Officer
    GregH wrote: »

X5
  • Capt. Skip DanaCapt. Skip Dana Posts: 253 Officer
    The majority of our new tourist customers come frome either relationships we have with concierges, brochures in hotels, and great locations which is by far our best advertising tool and easy to track because customers bring a coupon with them from the magazine. I specifically put in our yellow page adds for this year to ask for the special yellow page discount and to date I've only had one person ask for it. It's alot of jingle to put out for what seems like not alot of return.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,434 AG
    Al Gore invented the interweb so we wouldn't have to deal with those stupid yellow books anymore.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file