30 knot winds & a Biscayne Red!!

Got a late start with a buddy, Hai. Today's target was to find some calm, fishable waters. Trolling motor wasn't working, so I had to pole all afternoon. Basically, we were targeting reds, snook, and maybe a bonefish. Had a few shots at snook, and Hai had the hook pull on a 35"+/- redfish earlier on. Saw a few more reds, but didn't quite get the right shot at them. I pulled up to another spot, I spotted a nice red immediately and Hai got the right shot on this one, and landed a fat 29"er. First Biscayne red for him, and his biggest so far.

7619C72E-9F64-4DAB-A62B-52E30B56F93B-26737-000002EACF81DA23.jpg

After landing the red, I wanted to look for that bonefish, so we crossed over some flats to get across the bay. Boy, did we get pounded! After all that, we never did see a bonefish, but Hai spotted a pair of lobster that were out for an afternoon walk. I poled the boat up to them, Hai gets the landing net, and scoops not one, but both lobsters. So, no bonefish, but a heck of a trade-off! I'll take it any day.

200635FC-DA63-49FF-9C5F-548AE27C6F4A-26737-000002EAD5EA3086.jpg

We had also scooped up a couple blue crabs earlier, so between that, the lobster, and the left-over live shrimp, dinner wasn't too bad.

Replies

• ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    How do those shrimp taste? Nice bugs
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Gettin' Jiggy!Gettin' Jiggy! Posts: 203 Officer
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    How do those shrimp taste? Nice bugs

Lol, not bad with a little home-made cocktail sauce. There was a few nice ones in the well, but some of them weren't worth peeling cuz they were tiny. I wouldn't buy them from the bait store and take them straight home to eat, but after flushing out in the well for 5 hours, I just give myself a false sense that they're ok then. Whateva, they good! Lol
  • Marker954Marker954 Posts: 404 Officer
    Nice day even with all the wind.
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Nice . But isn't most of biscayne bay a lobster sanctuary? Also, it looks more like 3 kt winds than 30 in the picture.
    abovebored wrote: »
    Nice . But isn't most of biscayne bay a lobster sanctuary? Also, it looks more like 3 kt winds than 30 in the picture.

Yes, BB is a lobster sanctuary...we were outside the boundaries when we were fishing for bonefish and ran into these guys. Yes, it looks like 3 knots when you find protection from shorelines. That's what we did all afternoon, is fish the calmer waters, despite the conditions. I always find a spot to fish! The bay was pretty bad crossing, even over shallow flats. If we had crossed over the middle of the bay, I probably wouldn't had made it back to write this report. It was brutal!
  • BonesBones Posts: 171 Officer
    Nice! Hardcore pays off.
  • flatsstalkerflatsstalker Posts: 469 Officer
    nice job where by did you spot the reds ,passing turkey point or closer to black point.
    09 Beavertail BTX
    1999 18 Dolphin backcountry
    nice job where by did you spot the reds ,passing turkey point or closer to black point.

We fished a lot of spots. I really don't remember...
    It happens to me all the time.
  • marvin1156marvin1156 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Thats imposible water looks too calm for 30 kts winds .
    marvin1156 wrote: »
    Thats imposible water looks too calm for 30 kts winds i was on the área and the bay was bad .

Ok, I give up....Don't read my reports, please!
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,601 Officer
    some of you guys are ridiculous. I fished Saturday in the gusty winds in my KAYAK! remember the winds were from the west. remember the land, trees, etc blocks the wind at the shoreline and several yards out from there. **** what a bunch of googans. the guy is showing you a fish and you're worried about what wind he fished in.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • Captain BackyardCaptain Backyard Posts: 427 Officer
    agreed...lots of fuctards on here!
  • flatsstalkerflatsstalker Posts: 469 Officer
    Lol those are the non fisherman, posing who cares bout the wind or not ,appreciate the fishing reports
    09 Beavertail BTX
    1999 18 Dolphin backcountry
  • UrbanAnglerMiamiUrbanAnglerMiami Posts: 448 Officer
    Wow... Not sure what to say except, lol. Hard core angling at its best with Capt Rob in BB, wind or no wind, this guy can find fish! By the way Rob, great game plan. WNW winds worked out very well and good job finding those reds in the calm stuff. Wish the hook didn't pull on that 1st monster but that's why they call it fishing & not catching. We'll upgrade my BB 29" again very soon I'm sure. I still can't believe I got both of those lobsters at once. Maybe next time we'll go for lobster & find the elusive "silver ghost". Dinner wasn't too shabby that night either. Chef Rob made pan seared redfish from an earlier trip to Flamingo as all BB reds get released, grilled lobster, fresh peel & eat shrimp, & the blue crabs... Good Times & Tight lines! "There's nothing to see here..."
    "Exploring the Sublime of the Angling Worlds." HT
  • OviVOviV Posts: 229 Officer
    Winds are not 30knts and you are obviously fishing in Okeechobee. ;)
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Nice bb red!!
    marvin1156 wrote: »
    Thats imposible water looks too calm for 30 kts winds .

Lol, please read the report... I think its in the first few sentences...
    lol
  • QuiksilverIHBQuiksilverIHB Posts: 467 Officer
    Nice ones.

High quality vinyl stickers representing your fishing lifestyle.
    H2O Vinyl Designs
    Check Out My Fishing/Diving Videos

• Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 610 Officer
    Wind is the Enemy!! Therefore why would they be out in the middle of the bay getting pounded? fish the islands that offer protection, and find fish in the calmer waters. Its a different world behind those islands. If you have never poled in the wind, it makes sense why youd question it.

Great BB Red!! Need to catch me one of those & friggin nice Lobster Hai!!
    Reel Tease wrote: »
    Wind is the Enemy!! Therefore why would they be out in the middle of the bay getting pounded? fish the islands that offer protection, and find fish in the calmer waters. Its a different world behind those islands. If you have never poled in the wind, it makes sense why youd question it.

Great BB Red!! Need to catch me one of those & friggin nice Lobster Hai!!

Lol, thanks Capt! Dinner was great that night. Got lucky on those lobsters!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file