Flounder gigging?

So, of the searches I've made on the forum it seems as if NE Fl is the place to gig flounder. Where along the Horseshoe beach to Crystal river might I find a good place to go gigging. I've just started out fishing and have never gigged but I can borrow some stuff from friends and build my own lights. I have a 15.5' bass boat so I can float in pretty shallow water. I could even take a kayak and just walk around. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Adam

Replies

• Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Posts: 1,037 Officer
    We gig in YT (Withlacoochee River & Barge Canal) and I have heard of some gigging in CR. By far, from growing up in Jax, it is best in the NE. That being said, we always did well here growing up. Not too many flounderr, but they are there. Be careful in the FG boat. The oysters will tear you a new one if you're not careful. I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly.
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,190 Admiral
    Used to gig a lot of redfish in CR, not to many flounder though.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Corporate JetCorporate Jet Posts: 32 Deckhand
    I know some people that gig flounder and sheepshead around the islands off Cedar Key. I've heard there are some huge flounder that can be found there.
  • adam90xjadam90xj Posts: 37 Deckhand
    So there is some hope!
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,672 Captain
    Cedar Key, all around the big island...
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • tommyr904tommyr904 Posts: 574 Officer
    here are some from horseshoe this past Christmas.that was the best I have ever done on the est coast.the norm is 8-10 flounder and more sheephead and drum than anything else.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Used to gig a lot of redfish in CR, not to many flounder though.

I hope your joking
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,783 Captain
    Adam I think we'd have some luck in/around the Steinhatchee area. Lots of shallow water with sandy bottom there. That's where I caught the only one I've caught so far, right at Hagen's Cove. We could easily put in at Keaton Beach and run there I think.
    tommyr904 wrote: »
    I hope your joking
    No, I'm not. I gigged redfish from the late 60's up until Mid to late 80's when gigging was outlawed as a way of harvest. Under 2lbs was for the table and anything bigger was for crab bait, same thing for big trout.
    You must be young or perhaps was raised Nawth of the Mason-Dixon line and only recently relocated here.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    you made it sound as though it was recent,hell we use to net them also.and no south my whole life
    tommyr904 wrote: »
    you made it sound as though it was recent,hell we use to net them also.and no south my whole life
    K. I've netted a few too, with a #246 bearsack.
  • Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Posts: 1,037 Officer
    We gigged reds when I was a kid...back when #1 was doing it. Never gigged HSB. Might try it this T'giving.
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file