Fly Reel Build

Replies

• irishff727irishff727 Posts: 939 Officer
    Right on man. Looks sweet can't wait to hear some performance reports

Time enjoyed wasted usually means I've been fishing
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time
  • NaClH20NaClH20 Posts: 78 Deckhand
    I think a wood handle would add a nice look. I had often thought about machining one myself, just never could get past how long it would take. Good for you for putting in the effort and time, certainly looks worth it.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    I still say, it looks like something a high school kid made in metal shop
  • FreeflyFreefly Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    I still say, it looks like something a high school kid made in metal shop

Oh stop it, you're too flattering.

Got it finished, lined, and tested it this past weekend. I don't have pics, but the only issue I had was the clearance between the lower frame "ear" and spool is too great and the fly line can slip through the gap. Also the dimensions of the spool didn't leave much spare room for line volume. I've remedied both of these on the second design. I had no luck drawing any strikes from reds or trout on the flats, so I can't comment on the drag performance.

I learned quite a bit on this first attempt; got ideas on the amount of acceptable clearances, figured out how to reduce axial shifting of the spool in the frame, got a better idea of how thin I can make the material before key features get too flimsy, and many more. There's a lot of effort that goes into manufacturing these little reels that people wouldn't realize unless they've tried. I have a genuine appreciation for the professionally made reels out there now. I'm working on making some fixturing to speed up the machining. I'll try to get some pics by the weekend.
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    I think it's a great project! Look forward to seeing more pics. And I'm just down the road from you, would like to see the finished project first hand.
    Hey Blackledge, he's not trying to compete with Abel, although if he gets it refined, he may give them a run for their money..
    FYIWFG
    Pics pics pics

really? really?
    Acesover,

I never said the guy was competing with Abel. Now after that being said, wouldn't you think the moron would look at a few fly reels and try and get some ideal what a quality reel should look like, and also how much it should weight? and the biggest aspect how it should work? That bearing size is just a joke.

Carl Blackledge
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,558 Captain
    Bragledge, build something better and show it to us since you seem to be or at least profess to be the greatest authority on everything on the forum. That is if you have time to come down off your high throne.

AND really, calling Freefly a moron just shows your real classless character.
    saltybum wrote: »
    Bragledge, build something better and show it to us since you seem to be or at least profess to be the greatest authority on everything on the forum. That is if you have time to come down off your high throne.

AND really, calling Freefly a moron just shows your real classless character.

I agree with the above, and the build it a lot of fun to watch and see the progress. And of course, it really was crass of Blackledge to post what he did, it was uncalled for.
    FYIWFG
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,745 Captain
    Freefly I have enjoyed following your work & applaud your curiosity to say nothing of your skill which astounds me. Please keep us informed of your progress.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • LeeHLeeH Posts: 121 Officer
    "Actually I expect this first reel just to be a proof of concept that will get butchered a few times to work out the bugs."

You've done an excellent job, very admirable learning experiance!

I've anodized small parts before and it's really not that difficult or exspensive a process look into it a bit and give it a shot. Best way to learn is by doing it!
    Acesover,

I never said the guy was competing with Abel. Now after that being said, wouldn't you think the moron would look at a few fly reels and try and get some ideal what a quality reel should look like, and also how much it should weight? and the biggest aspect how it should work? That bearing size is just a joke.

Carl Blackledge

29zctav.gif

Sorry to put your panties in a wad. I didn't realize this learning venture was so offensive. I should probably just copy other company's reel designs like the Chinese.

The objective here was to design, build, test, determine what worked, and what didn't. From this, improve the original design, optimize performance, and improve manufacturing quality. I don't think you are grasping the amount of work that companies put into their products. This is the biggest realization that I've learned in this endeavor. Hopefully others will and in return support the companies out there rather than buying some budget, cookie cutter, bass pro special.

I'll try to get some pics tonight for you guys that appreciate them. Thanks!
    To Hell with him, it looks great and as always it is a work in profess I doubt abel or nautilus came out looking much better than polished turds

really? really?
    Hey bum,

I don't build reels, However I do have common sense in everyday life. That alone puts me a head of you, plus I do have a few things to brag about. I wasn't picking on the guy, I just call them like I see them. That reel is a joke, and should be mounted on the front of a 4x4 jeep.

Why not say how you really feel and just MAYBE guide the guy to the right path? He might be a great with machines, however pretty clueless when it comes to reels.

Carl Blackledge
    haters-gonna-hate-comb.gif
  • nicknick Posts: 4,434 Captain
    Lmfao
    Hey bum,

I don't build reels, However I do have common sense in everyday life. That alone puts me a head of you, plus I do have a few things to brag about. I wasn't picking on the guy, I just call them like I see them. That reel is a joke, and should be mounted on the front of a 4x4 jeep.

Why not say how you really feel and just MAYBE guide the guy to the right path? He might be a great with machines, however pretty clueless when it comes to reels.

Carl Blackledge

As clueless as you are with common courtesy.
    Like irish said, abels didn't start out looking great, nor did nautilus, but they had to start somewhere. You really don't see the point of what he's doing, it an exercise in what it takes to build a reel.
    And I don't see what you have to brag about, except an extreme lack of tact. I can see why there were not alot of takers when you asked for people to fish in Mexico with you....
    FYIWFG
    Avesover,

You can try and disrespect me all you want, however that would like throwing spite balls at a battleship, the real issue is the ugly reel and all of you fools saying how cool it is, after you folks learn how to count your election votes, then try again :) have a great day

PS the reel is still a joke and still ugly
  • nicknick Posts: 4,434 Captain
    Avesover,

You can try and disrespect me all you want, however that would like throwing spite balls at a battleship, the real issue is the ugly reel and all of you fools saying how cool it is, after you folks learn how to count your election votes, then try again :) have a great day

PS the reel is still a joke and still ugly

Have you ever built a reel?
    Here's the first reel mounted on a Temple Fork Outfitters 9' 6Wt rod. The goldish color is from treating the parts with Alodine 1201, chromate conversion coating used to inhibit corrosion. It's not intended for aesthetic purposes. One would typically apply another coating or paint afterwards.

FlyReel16.jpg

Here's the gap between the frame "ear" and the spool. When I was casting or stripping line, it slipped through this gap a few times. I've corrected this issue on the second design.

FlyReel17.jpg

The mounting foot fit nice and snug, no issues here. Next time I'm going to reduce the height as much as possible though.

FlyReel18.jpg

Drag side of the reel. I'm not a fan of how far the drag knob protrudes, so the second design I tapered the frame and used internal threads so that it will help conceal the drag features.

FlyReel19.jpg

Been working on the second design so I took some pics of that as well. Here's the tapered frame drawing and rough machined piece.

FlyReel21.jpg

I added this narrow lip to ride in a groove of the spool in order to eliminate the air gap where the line could slip through.

FlyReel22.jpg

Groove in the lip of the spool.

FlyReel23.jpg

The spool assembled with the frame. No air gap between the parts now.

FlyReel24.jpg

Here's a little fixture I came up with to hold the mounting foot when I cut the frame's radius.

FlyReel26.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully I can't catch something with it this weekend.
    LeeH wrote: »
    "Actually I expect this first reel just to be a proof of concept that will get butchered a few times to work out the bugs."

You've done an excellent job, very admirable learning experiance!

I've anodized small parts before and it's really not that difficult or exspensive a process look into it a bit and give it a shot. Best way to learn is by doing it!

Thanks! Definitely would like to learn how to anodize. I could also have the local trophy shop do some laser engraving too.
    Looks great, it seems that you are refining it down to a real nice product. Don't let the troll discourage you, his opinion is the minority here.
    What weight fly line are you building the reel for? 8-9 weight? And if you are going to paint it, what paint are you going to use? With the tighter tolerance you put on the spool/frame, I would think that you would have to use something very thin.
    FYIWFG
  • linhlinh Posts: 327 Officer
    Very cool. Do you have a machine shop at home?
    The first reel was designed for 5-6 wt, the second reel is slightly larger in diameter (3.75" OD and 2.00" arbor dia.) and width so it should work with 7-8 wt. line. I'm not going to paint the original, just leave it as is since I might modify/machine it later. The second one I might try to anodize. Anodizing only changes the dimensions by 0.001" or less so its really negligible.

I wouldn't call it a machine shop, haha. I first started fabricating metal for a project truck about 5 years ago and my tool collection began to grow. I eventually bought a lathe and mill, but I learned to operate them at the Society of Automotive Engineers club at UCF. I've learned a lot about fixturing and the chronological dependency of machining operations from the older machinists at work. There's still a couple of machines I'd like to learn and add to my little shop.
  • silvergsilverg Posts: 1,449 Officer
    Cool project. Be careful with the tight tolerance. Any torque from a heavy drag will cause friction there. Look forward to watching this evolve to a great product!
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,325 Moderator
    FreeFly, I like the reel. The mods for number two look even better.
    kudos to you also for your civility towards CB.
    It seem we had similar upbringing, My father always told me, "Its better to not argue with an Idiot, someone listening might not be able to tell the difference!"
    Thanks for sharing, I hope you will share #2 with us as well.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • JWTJWT Posts: 324 Deckhand
    i guess i am a fool cause i think this is cool!!...... building your own fly reel & figuring it out as you go. you have already picked up on a lot of things that go into a good reel. i feel good if i just get a few flies tied!

great job & keep us posted on the progress.....
    Any updates?
    FYIWFG
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    Sick
    acesover wrote: »
    Any updates?

I haven't made much progress over the holidays; been trying to catch up with family, friends, and duck hunting. Hopefully I can finish machining the second one this week. If the weather is good this weekend I'll be chasing pompano up and down the beach!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file