Mendy's first Red Fish(50" Bull)

The NE Florida Red Fish Migration is in full swing. My buddy and i have been discussing the idea of putting his wife Mendy on some fish for a while now. Shes never caught a Red before so we thought "why not make her first a Bull?" We made it happen. Got out bright and early and hit up B&M for some tackle and frozen Mullet. Hit the boat launch and made wakes to our first stop in Mill Cove. Was a slow start with a few pecker fish. As the tide change hit, so did the first PIG. Mendy is hooked up to what we have no idea at this point was the biggest Red any of us have ever seen. This guy was a savage! 30 Minutes later a giant mass appears and our jaws land in the water! This thing was 50+ inches long and somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-70lbs. We did manage about 4 more Bulls in the 40" class as well. Was a slower day but we had quality over quantity. Mendy and Jay had a blast. What an insane thought, First Red ever at 50".... Hows that even happen?
Way to go Mendy!:cool

[video=youtube_share;6bDqNxu4Yqw]

092112Fishing02_zpsa7097447.jpg
092112Fishing04_zps18db33f9.jpg
092112Fishing03_zps4dd6d7e1.jpg
092112Fishing05_zps67229797.jpg
092112Fishing07_zps39700b22.jpg
092112Fishing08_zps086c4c0b.jpg
092112Fishing09_zpsf74d8727.jpg
092112Fishing12_zpsba189998.jpg
092112Fishing13_zps25f12b8b.jpg
092112Fishing14_zpsffd3211b.jpg
092112Fishing17_zps4b4caf2e.jpg
092112Fishing10_zpsd48c3675.jpg

Replies

• pilingjunkypilingjunky Posts: 2,044 Officer
    Woooooooooooooo, horsey! My gawd, that's a slob!
    :beer
  • BadfishBadfish Posts: 1,067 Officer
    nice mug shot!! that thing is a beast
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,015 Officer
    State record is 51.8lbs BTW...
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,705 Captain
    No kidding? We both had to grab a hold of this thing to lift it. Joker was massive. The pic does him no justice.
    Here's a pic of an 82lb red from North Carolina. Doesn't look like it but they can be very heavy.

http://www.addictivefishing.com/NewGallery/ViewPhoto.aspx?photo=1549
  • arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Officer
    Steve, you guys might have dropped the ball on this one. You probably failed to record the correct weight on a possible state record fish! Awesome bull! You need to carry a bathroom weight scale in your boat so you can do the your weight + fish weight minus your weight technique.
  • ton_e_montanaton_e_montana Posts: 468 Officer
    NIce job! Great fish. I gave it a shot yesterday with no takers on cut lady and crabs.
    NIce job! Great fish. I gave it a shot yesterday with no takers on cut lady and crabs.

Wow, that's strange..
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Officer
    WOW!!!! Now, thats a BULL RED!!!
  • gsxraddictgsxraddict Posts: 103 Officer
    how do you post an official weight for the state record since you can't keep them?
    Slug-O wrote: »
    Wow, that's strange..

I was at Dames Pt. I think these were at a different spot??
  • M4-TUNAM4-TUNA Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Wish we ( Slug-O and I) could have landed that monster I had on that day. tHE BEAST ATE A LIVE POGY WHEN i WAS ABOUT TO RECAST . That is one big momma for sure u guys landed.
    M4-TUNA wrote: »
    Wish we ( Slug-O and I) could have landed that monster I had on that day. tHE BEAST ATE A LIVE POGY WHEN i WAS ABOUT TO RECAST . That is one big momma for sure u guys landed.

That red looked like a bull shark it was so big!!!
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,070 Admiral
    Great job as always on the bulls! Thats a stud for sure, though I would say 40-45lbs tops. Awesome fish regardless! We had a blast on these fish yesterday, we got one around that size Im about to post pics of. You guys always score!
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
    Great job as always on the bulls! Thats a stud for sure, though I would say 40-45lbs tops. Awesome fish regardless! We had a blast on these fish yesterday, we got one around that size Im about to post pics of. You guys always score!

That's an incorrect estimate but opinion away. Held more large Reds than Ill ever be able to count. 35-40lb Reds are a dime a dozen right now. This boy was closer to 65lb.
    BIG bruiser!
  • kajokajo Posts: 4,619 Moderator
    Some big boys there. The one I got in the surf using the calculations weighted 63 lbs so there are some monsters roaming around.
    That was at the end of October
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com
    The 51lb state record is pretty sad. That's been shattered a hundred times over. I'm picking up a scale just to make sure not to pass up on the opportunity break that in the future. Speaking of which, anyone have a scale to recommend that would be capable of weighing a fish in the 50-75lb range? Buying one tomorrow...
    I was just trying to spark friendly coversation, Steve I hope you know I mean no disrespect in any way and commend your bull skills! Not trying to start anything bro! That fish is a beast, no doubt!

Here is some food for thought, again, just friendly conversation. Yes, the state record has been 51lbs for many years. Yes, many folks have caught these fish and weighed them over 50lbs, no doubt there are some monsters lurking around! Last year, 121 anglers fished our river in the bull tourney, around 400 fish measured I believe. They measure these fish at the fork of the tail. As proven two years in a row, a 41" fish (at the fork) will put you at the top of the list. I believe it was 41 that got us second the first year, if I remember right a 41.5 took it. Last year that was smashed by a whole 2", with a 43" monster! Yesterday we weighed a fish that was nearly 40" at the fork. Guess what it weighed? 27lbs! I think you will be surprised when you put these fish on a scale, looks can be decieving as they have large air bladders and seem to be light fish for thier size. I probably have over 300 bulls on my photobucket account alone, but have never seen a 50lb fish that I know of.

Yours may have very well been 65lbs as you said! What do I know, I wasnt there. Just trying to give some perspective on my friendly opinion, that I only formed from looking at a pic. Again, congrats on another monster!
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • lost1317lost1317 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Nice!!! Some pigs!!
    so with tonys logic (makes sense) using the math calculations really wont work with a bull red because of the air bladder and void of space in its belly..makes sense.

i wish i had a scale to weigh the 58"er i got..i always wondered what the true weight was on that fish.

www.jccarpetcare.com
    Most all fish have an air bladder, Im sure those calcs are close..... just think reds seem to be lighter than most other species at the same length. 58"?????? I would freak out!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    I did. It hit a 12" mullet. Thought it was a **** at first

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • Brother DaveBrother Dave Posts: 595 Officer
    To officially weigh a fish for the records it has to be weighed on land....which would be illegal if caught in a boat. moving the fish to land for weighing would be considered a harvest I believe....but from the beach?? that's a different story...
    Boattronics its all good man. I do think this Red was over 50lbs But whether it was or not doesn't even matter. Even if it were its a lost cause now lol. You guys had a good day yesterday. Nice Reds dude.
  • Brother DaveBrother Dave Posts: 595 Officer
    He looked over 50 to me....easily. Look what black drum weigh and they aren't that long....just fat! That sucker had a serious head on him...nice fish..
    Boattronics its all good man. I do think this Red was over 50lbs But whether it was or not doesn't even matter. Even if it were its a lost cause now lol. You guys had a good day yesterday. Nice Reds dude.
    In the 70's Reds were fished nearly to extinction. Regulations got passed and the numbers have been getting better yearly ever since. In the late 70's(not based on my personal experience, too young), you could only find Rat Reds in our water ways. Larger Bulls were considered rare to most people. 40 years pass and we are getting a lot of good numbers now on the Bulls. Based on common sense, if we know these animals have a life span of 50-60 years, and they have recently gotten numbers back up, we will have started to see sizes not common for our area. So yes, in the past a 50-70lb Red was unheard of in these parts. Based on the calculation i just broke down, we will have no choice but to see even larger Reds in the next 10 years. This is why North and South Carolinas see 100+ LBs Reds. They didn't hurt their stocks nearly as bad as we did. This isn't a pissing contest attempt by any means, just an outside the box view of whats taking place within our Redfish stock. You can ask anyone that fished Jacksonville water in the 70's and they will tell you the species was nearly wiped out. The result was an unusual number of juvenile fish. Jacksonville Snook are another good example, although they were crippled by freezes and not so much by over fishing.
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Officer
    If you're gonna weigh them, it might be less traumatic to the fish to rig a sling.. Just my .02.....

Again, one heck of a Bull!!! Very nice!
    samsiam74 wrote: »
    If you're gonna weigh them, it might be less traumatic to the fish to rig a sling.. Just my .02.....

Again, one heck of a Bull!!! Very nice!

That's my idea too..
    Here's the finished Video of Mendy's Pig. Sorry i took so long.
    [video=youtube_share;6bDqNxu4Yqw]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file