Pics / Review of new grill and 1st meal. Weber E-330 in NG... pretty nice!

Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,799 Moderator
So, after much research and soul searching in terms of how much money I was willing to part with in exchange for a new grill, I finally decided on the Weber E-330 in natural gas.

I picked her up Monday and yesterday afternoon I got everything hooked up and running.

On Monday I was not entirely thrilled with the unit. The construction of the doors is okay, but nothing to write home about. The SS stiles and rails are just kind of crimped on, no real welding or anything there. The gap between the two on my grill is also abnormally large (if you want the doors level, which I do) and looks somewhat awkward. The magenet that keeps the right hand door closed was broken and fell out. The rotisserie bracket is rather cheap and cumbersome. It bolts into the grill and takes up a lot of the left hand prep area. So, rather than being able to just hang the motor / bracket on WHEN you need it, you either bolt the bracket on each time, or leave it on grill and deal with ugly look and lack of space. So, on Monday I would have given it about a 7.5 / 10.

Last night I cooked on it. Performance... 10.0 / 10.0

Here she sits while I do a burn in.

Set%20up_zpscd3a0a5a.jpg?t=1348065922

After no more than 5 or 6 minutes the temp is what you see below. I realize that these thermos are often off by quite a bit, but it was still dang sure hot. Every bit as hot as a charcoal grill, which had me excited. My biggest concern with a gas grill was having those perpetually tan colored steaks. Barf! I can't stand a tan colored "Longhorns / Outback / etc" steak.
HOT_zpsd0c64f35.jpg?t=1348065917

Now we're cooking. The side burner works great... almost too great. I initially bough the 330 just to have the side burner so that I could do mushrooms when it was time. Before I was grilling on a kettle under the house and communicating with the wife as to when to put the mushrooms on the house was a pain. Now it's all right in front of me. Little did I know, that the "sear burner" (nothing more than a 4th burner in between the two primary ones which must makes a TON of heat on the left side of the grill) would work like a champ as well. So, I'm happy that I upgraded to the 330. Anyway, the side burner gets hot... real hot. On low it was just abot to burn the butter that I had the mushrooms in. It worked fine, though.
cookin'_zps2cb9635e.jpg?t=1348065922

On the grill we did two ribeyes and some grilled zuchini. I put the veggies on a little to soon, so they got a bit mushy, but not bad for a first run on a new grill. Besides, I was much more concerned with meat and mushrooms.

No tan steak here! Granted, it's missing some of that pink / purple look that you get from smoke, but this here ain't bad. The sear burner is the ticket. I think the steaks took about 6 minutes start to finish. Pretty awesome.

First pic is pretty sorry in terms of picture quality. I was hungry. Regardless you can see the color of the steak. Not bad. Also, you can't tell in the second pic because the flash washed things out pretty badly, but the steak was very pink in the middle. Pretty much perfect, actually. Much more rare than it appears to be in the picture, and we had color / crunch / caramelized exterior.
spread_zps5b94c0eb.jpg?t=1348065917
color_zps796f36cf.jpg?t=1348065917

So, suffice it to say, I'm a much happier customer right now than I was 24 hours ago.
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,348 Admiral
    wow 700 degrees. Wish mine got that hot!
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,351 Officer
    I am hungry now.Thanks
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,558 Officer
    It didn't have that new grill taste to the meat. I hate that, I usually will sacrafice a bag of chicken on a new grill to get that taste out of it.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,799 Moderator
    Yeah, it gets hot, and hot in a HURRY. Pretty freakin' awesome. Not only this, but at 700 I could put my hand on the lid. Now, I cna't leave it there, but I can touch it. I bet at 450 or less you could leave your hand on it for a pretty good spell.

Can't wait to get home and cook something else tonight.
    It didn't have that new grill taste to the meat. I hate that, I usually will sacrafice a bag of chicken on a new grill to get that taste out of it.

No new grill taste on this one. I had her at 700 for about ten minutes and then between 500 adn 600 for a solid half hour.

So much for the ol' "Natural gas doesn't get as hot" argument. I guess a NG not set up properly dosn't get hot, but this son-of-a-gun darn sure did!
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 Officer
    Do you eat sitting in front of the TV?
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer

Celcius?
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 7,969 Admiral
    With a pillow on his lap as well.
    got ants? wrote: »
    Celcius?

I believe that would be about 1,300 F.

Oh, and yes... like the true rednecks that we are, we plopped our fat butts right in front of the television and ate on the couch. Hey, it is what it is. ;-)
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 Officer

Oh, and yes... like the true rednecks that we are, we plopped our fat butts right in front of the television and ate on the couch. Hey, it is what it is. ;-)

:rotflmao I recognized the "set up". That's me! I refuse to get TV tray because I don't want to go full trailer park! It would probably work better but I refuse to do it!
    pupraiser wrote: »
    :rotflmao I recognized the "set up". That's me! I refuse to get TV tray because I don't want to go full trailer park! It would probably work better but I refuse to do it!

Hahaha. Well, in true FTP fashsion, guess where I slept after dinner...
  • Fly HookerFly Hooker Posts: 4,195 Officer
    Nice grill, it will last longer if you keep it covered!
  • Whats the deal with the sear burner on Webers. I was pulling one apart in Lowes a couple weeks becasue I was throughly confused at Webers design in that area. The grill I was looking was the exact same one as that but SS instead of painted. The sear burner is just an additional tube burner thats no different then the other burners correct?

FYI. Stainless steel scars pretty easy. I've learned to keep a solid surface cutting board on the nonburner side and I set all my stuff on that when grilling. It scars even easy when whatever bumps it is stainless steel too. My wife scarred my last one all up just by sliding a SS bowl that she was marinading stuff in across it.

The Weber definitely have the sturdiest side trays of almost any grills I've come across. You can pick them up and/or put a alot of weight on them and they wont budge. The side trays on all the other ones will bend and feel like they are about to rip right off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,095 Admiral
    What kind of grates?

I'm still using the ole Genesis and love it.

Sounds like you could start a foundry with that one. :grin
    Whats the deal with the sear burner on Webers. I was pulling one apart in Lowes a couple weeks becasue I was throughly confused at Webers design in that area. The grill I was looking was the exact same one as that but SS instead of painted. The sear burner is just an additional tube burner thats no different then the other burners correct?

FYI. Stainless steel scars pretty easy. I've learned to keep a solid surface cutting board on the nonburner side and I set all my stuff on that when grilling. It scars even easy when whatever bumps it is stainless steel too. My wife scarred my last one all up just by sliding a SS bowl that she was marinading stuff in across it.

The Weber definitely have the sturdiest side trays of almost any grills I've come across. You can pick them up and/or put a alot of weight on them and they wont budge. The side trays on all the other ones will bend and feel like they are about to rip right off.

Sear Burner: On the Weber 330 you are exactly right... it is just an addtional burner that's in between the two normally spaced burners. I think it will tak 10,000 whereas the other normal ones take 12,000, but basically yes, just an extra burner. HOwever, because it is in such close proximity to the other two, that left hand side of the grill gets HOT when they're all on wide-open.

A lot of the mfgs have "sear burners" on the outside. These I think are more of a true definition (at least as the term is ususally used) of a sear burner. In this case the flame is spread very evenly and very closely to a ceramic heat sink, which is very close to your grate. So it gets real hot and is real close. These sear burners are supposed to work VERY well. You sear there, adn then cook to desired doneness on the main grill. However, you'll notice that they are all very small (as in one steak at a time) and they aer difficult to do other things with because of the high heat, and the grate usually sits flush with the side table.

The weber sear area is much larger (essentially half of the grill) and with all three of those close ones going, it does a good job putting some color on the steak and sealing it up. Also, the side burner on the Weber is much better suited for pots and pans (boil water, sautee veggies, whatever). A very large portion of the side table flips up and you have a grate (much like a gas range burner) that is raised. This means that you can put pretty much any size pot on it that has a diameter just a touch smaller than the smallest dimension of that cover that flips up to expose the burner.

SS... yeah, I went with the enamal for that very reason. The enamel is tough. Not only that, but Weber two years ago went from 304 to some 400 series steel. No thanks. We get so used to marine 316 that we all hear SS and think best ever. But it's really not.

Yes, the side tables are sturdy. We used them to load the grill into the truck, but we grabbed underneath the cart for the long / herky jerky haul up the stairs.
    Split Shot wrote: »
    What kind of grates?

I'm still using the ole Genesis and love it.

Sounds like you could start a foundry with that one. :grin

These are the porcelain cast iron ones. Not a porcelain coating. The porcelain is actually part of it, so they should last a long time. I really watned the SS rods, but after cooking on this last night, I'm good. I don't know it for a fact, but I can't help but imagine that the cast iron has a higher heat capacity than SS anyway.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,374 Captain
    As far as the somewhat flimsy items you mentioned, seems they are all that way unless you spend 4-7K on one. Never have figured out why the higher end grills cost so much more. They aren't that much better.
    AC Man wrote: »
    As far as the somewhat flimsy items you mentioned, seems they are all that way unless you spend 4-7K on one. Never have figured out why the higher end grills cost so much more. They aren't that much better.

Yeah, I know. I was eyeballing some in the $1,500 range (namely Bull, and another new-comer called Blazer... built by the guy that runs www.bbqguys.com) but after reading all the glowing reviews on the Weber (product and service) and considering the $800 price tag and I had $250 of Lowes gift certificate money, it was too hard to pass up.

All in all, I think it's going to be a great grill. I'll probably still use my charcoal for real nice steaks, backstrap, etc, but for everyday use, this new one is going to be SO NICE. It is literally about 5 steps from my kitchen sink and it never runs out of gas!
    Well, tonight it's plain ol' hamburgers.

You folks are going to be sick and tired of grill updates pretty soon! :)
  • captivitycaptivity Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Well, tonight it's plain ol' hamburgers.

You folks are going to be sick and tired of grill updates pretty soon! :)

This is the grill of my choice when I get the nerve to get rid of my $1400 Jenn Air p.o.s. which looks great after 5-6 years but still can't cook a **** thing. Chinese crap built by Nexgrill.

The issue I have with the Weber grill (and others) is the size of pan you can put on the side burner. It would be nice to take a 14" sauté pan to do shrooms etc. when feeding a crowd. I can't seem to find one (comparably priced) that can accommodate a pan of this size and the actual burner would be be best suited if it was 8"-10" to better heat distribution on a large surface. Is there such an animal?
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,105 Captain
    Congrats on the new grill. You did your research. Glad you went with the Weber. I have the SS grates, and your are correct. They do not retain the heat as well as the ones you have.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
  • Justins DadJustins Dad Posts: 3,247 Officer
    The grills nice, the gas hookup is outstanding!!!
  • PermitchaserPermitchaser Posts: 871 Officer
    Fly Hooker wrote: »
    Nice grill, it will last longer if you keep it covered!

x2 try not to used water to clean it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 9,504 Admiral
    I almost burned down my back porch the last time my grill got that hot.

Something to do with 2-3 years worth of deer sausage drippings.
    I may be entitled to compensation.
    captivity wrote: »
    This is the grill of my choice when I get the nerve to get rid of my $1400 Jenn Air p.o.s. which looks great after 5-6 years but still can't cook a **** thing. Chinese crap built by Nexgrill.

The issue I have with the Weber grill (and others) is the size of pan you can put on the side burner. It would be nice to take a 14" sauté pan to do shrooms etc. when feeding a crowd. I can't seem to find one (comparably priced) that can accommodate a pan of this size and the actual burner would be be best suited if it was 8"-10" to better heat distribution on a large surface. Is there such an animal?

As I stated earlier....

Also, the side burner on the Weber is much better suited for pots and pans (boil water, sautee veggies, whatever). A very large portion of the side table flips up and you have a grate (much like a gas range burner) that is raised. This means that you can put pretty much any size pot on it that has a diameter just a touch smaller than the smallest dimension of that cover that flips up to expose the burner.

Edit: Just put a 12" (outside diameter) stock pot on it, and that fits jsut fine. Much bigger than that and you might encounter some issues.
    SAENole wrote: »
    I almost burned down my back porch the last time my grill got that hot.

Something to do with 2-3 years worth of deer sausage drippings.

The good news is that I'm hooked up to the house, so I don't need room in the cart for a propoane bottle. In place of the propane will be a 5 gallon bucket, which will serve as my grease catcher instead of the little dippy 8 oz deal that's only a few inches from the heat.
  • Fisherman12Fisherman12 Posts: 645 Officer

Weber is the cats ****.

But I'm biased.
    captivity wrote: »

pot_zps8ef10433.jpg?t=1348151252
    pot2_zpsfb4d2488.jpg?t=1348151252

Keep in mind this is a 12" stock pot... basically a cylinder, so the base is also 12". Please forgive my ignorance, but if a saute pan is the one that has a smaller base than it does lip... as in it angles outward as you go up, then you probably could get a 14" saute pan on the webber. Anyway, the pictures above should get you a better idea of what this one is capable of holding.

Good luck in your search. You'll find that until you get into the darn near $2,000 range, you are going to have to sacrifice something. I studied it pretty hard and finally went with the Weber 330. Middle of the road in terms of features, but substanially higher quality than the feature-laden high curb-appeal grills that are easy on the wallet but probably won't last as long.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file