awesome "florida sportsman" weekend (gators and snook)

I was lucky to have pulled a gator permit for STA 1phase 2 and my buddy Jeremy (fishaddict) knew a few honey holes so we (me, jeremy, my dad) headed out saturday and Sunday mornings to try to fill our tags. Got an 8' right off the bat saturday, a good eater, and cleaned him. Had a blast. Wanted to head back out Sunday morning and be "picky", only going for a 10' +. We got lucky, and the first one we hooked up, right at sunrise, ended up being our monster.Fought him for about an hour on hook and line and finally brought him up and jeremy got the perfect .44 mag bang stick kill. Taped out at 10'5" and estimated 450 lbs. Such a blast to hunt, and even better to be successful...
Me hooked in
yrajetar.jpg
So I got home from the STA at about 10, and my wife and daughter were hungry so we headed up to Jims place in Jupiter for breakfast, and then over to Jupiter jetty beach to play in the sand with my 2yr old. While we were there, I grabbed my calcutta out of the car and started tossing my x-rap, not expecting much as there were literally a hundred people in the water, and even more on the beach. But the snook were THICK and showering glass minnows like I have never seen in my life. This is happening at high noon with a hundred people in the water. IT was insane. 30"+ snook are jumping and flipping all the way out of the water. I hooked up with a nice 30" and wrestled her to the shore for my first slot fish of the season and much to the delight of the crowd around me. Had no tackle box, cooler or anything, so we shoved her in a shopping bag for the ride home! All in all an AWESOME weekend for this "hunter gatherer". So blessed! Thanks for reading! Pics to follow...
Ice

e6uqe8at.jpg
veqana7a.jpg
9enu8ava.jpg
gusejepy.jpg

Replies

• robalorogrobalorog Posts: 495 Officer
    Nice report. I like the snook in bag. When I was a kid I use to put fish in my pockets. Never 30" fish though. Is there anywhere to buy gator tail or through restaurants only?
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Catching a slot snook when least expecting it is awesome. Must have been nice for you guys to see them busting on the bait too even if you didn't catch a keeper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,257 Officer
    Serious gator and sounds like you hit the snook lotto!
    Way cool to nail a slot mid day w full on beach crowd!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    emoney991@outlook.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Offshore9393Offshore9393 Posts: 469 Officer
    Nice lizard
  • dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    Very cool on the slot snook.....still lookin' for my first of the season
  • TeasemTeasem Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    I was out on the same night at the STA's! Got me this 9 ft 9 in gator.. Going back out this friday, but like you said... Going to be picky for a 10+!!

Good job on the catch!!
    2002 25' Seacraft
    2002 39' Midnight Express
    1989/2009 Seacraft (Sold)
  • Bite N HoldBite N Hold Posts: 1,328 Officer
    Great job!!! I wish I got tags this year.....always next i guess.
    FOR SALE-Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."
  • onICEonICE Posts: 987 Officer
    Thanks guys! We got 40 lbs of meat off of the 8' gator and the bigger one we sold. Not sure of anywhere to buy gator tail but I have a ton of meat if you are interested let me know I'd be happy to give some away.
    Teasem wrote: »
    I was out on the same night at the STA's! Got me this 9 ft 9 in gator.. Going back out this friday, but like you said... Going to be picky for a 10+!!

Good job on the catch!!
    Nice one! Sta 1? That place is crawling with em...Goodluck this weekend! We have two more tags for sta 5 but I think we're gonna wait til October...
  • QuiksilverIHBQuiksilverIHB Posts: 467 Officer
    Hell of a catch.

High quality vinyl stickers representing your fishing lifestyle.
    H2O Vinyl Designs
    Check Out My Fishing/Diving Videos

• TeasemTeasem Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    onICE wrote: »
    Nice one! Sta 1? That place is crawling with em...Goodluck this weekend! We have two more tags for sta 5 but I think we're gonna wait til October...

If your looking to do something different with the meat, I took all of my meat to Big Ed's Butcher shop in west palm beach and had sausage made out of it..you can pick different flavors.. It is awesome and well worth it!!
    2002 25' Seacraft
    2002 39' Midnight Express
    1989/2009 Seacraft (Sold)
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,696 Captain
    My son and I hunted sta 1 w north first hunt. Great hunt if you put your time in, we got our shots at our big ones in the morn as well. Got our 2, had a great time as did u I see. Gators were very nervous most of the time. Lots of small 7 foot and smaller, with the bigger guys hiding out. We got a 10 and 8 footer.
    Got to give a thank you to the nice gents and young lady miss bubbles(she stated it was her real name), Big thank you.
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
    Teasem wrote: »
    If your looking to do something different with the meat, I took all of my meat to Big Ed's Butcher shop in west palm beach and had sausage made out of it..you can pick different flavors.. It is awesome and well worth it!!

Tease, we actually did that. We had over 30 lbs of meat and at 2$ a pound it wasnt bad at all. We got some italian style sausage, and the rest cubed. Haven't eaten any yet but I look forward to trying it. Will definately take some game to Big Ed again if given the chance
    My son and I hunted sta 1 w north first hunt. Great hunt if you put your time in, we got our shots at our big ones in the morn as well. Got our 2, had a great time as did u I see. Gators were very nervous most of the time. Lots of small 7 foot and smaller, with the bigger guys hiding out. We got a 10 and 8 footer.
    Got to give a thank you to the nice gents and young lady miss bubbles(she stated it was her real name), Big thank you.

We had a "spot" That was scouted pretty well, so we were kind of spoiled. There were hundreds of gators literally. There is a lot of water and it can be kind of intimidating if you don't put in some scouting. We are hunting sta 5 next, and that is a different story, but hopefully we can still pull a giant off there.
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 482 Deckhand
    Good Lizard, But why do people cut their snook like that? Does it make it better?
  • SFCarlSFCarl Posts: 300 Officer
    Its gutted.. looks like he cut out the gills and stomach contents for an easy fillet job when he gets home?
    Bite 1 wrote: »
    Good Lizard, But why do people cut their snook like that? Does it make it better?
    Old habits, but I usually rip the bottom of the gills (neck) out of any fish that I'm not cleaning immediately. Probably more important for a fish like a mackerel but it also made for a good show on the beach when the blood started spurting out like a geyser :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file