SLI Offshore 9-8-12

Got an early start with Zach (FLDXT) and was at bulllshark at sunrise not much happening in the way of bait.. managed a few small dines & gogs not worth hanging around for, shot out to Shrimpers and that was an improvement, managed some decent dines and cigar minnows. While bringing in a stringer full, Zach has a cobe come up and commence to helping Himself to the struggling baits on the Sabiki, turns out 3 more were with em. they lost interest before we could get on them, but came right back with the next haul of the sabiki. They were acting a little picky and as I was trying to get the biggest of the bunch I hooked up a 6" blue runner to try and eliminate the smaller ones. After a few tries I was able to get him to bite, gave him some time and set on him... had him comin in and the hook pulled :banghead. That went on for several more minutes with them eating our baits but we just could'nt get it done. Zach did briefly hook one up on a jig but lost it as well, there was also a bunch of snake kings in that area skying on baits. Ran straight to PBH and put out 2 Daisy chains and Rapala X rap 20 and started the troll. Was'nt long and had a double header of the smallest BFT's I've ever seen. Reset and doubled up again.. one on the chain and one on the Xrap, this time they were decent size... boated one and lost the other. Had several short strikes and the occasional missed fish over the next few minutes then we got into some schoolie phins. The bite shut down after a while, so we decided to run deep. In 600' we saw fish bustin on top that were either some kind of tuna or bonita but as the boat got close they went down and we had no takers on the livies we had out so kept heading east (any ideas what they might have been?). We were in about 900' when we heard Always forward on the radio said he was in 1300 on some good phins on tree. we kept heading east hoping we'd find some debris of our own and after awhile we see a boat on the horizon, turned out to be AF so we eased up and kept our distance and were watching them catch fish. AF hollered at us to get over there and get in on the action :hail.. (really appreciate that Jeff) so we did.. long story short we picked up several trying to be selective and target the bigger slingers. Zach got a really nice cow out of the bunch. After things slowed down we started seeing some smaller slingers again and we watched them for a while and Zach says, "I cant take it anymore" baits up and gets on the bow. I was cleaning up the boat when I hear Zach yell.. big dolphin, then proceeds to pitch a bait to it with the smallest rod he had :hairraiser. He fought him for quite a while but we were finally able to get him boatside and gaffed. We were a long way from SLI by now and started the long trek back. Great day out there...been a while since I've seen that much life around. Nice to meet face to face with others on the forum as well.
"FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,780 Moderator
    Nice report, sounds like an action packed day!

Keeping busy while away from Florida
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    The fish on the surface way out were small blackfin's.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,261 Officer
    Thanks MH.. I was leaning towards that as I've not known bonita to be out that deep... shoulda stayed off em and slung a waxwing at'em.
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,400 Captain
    Looks nice out there. When i checked Magicseaweed and windfinder it was calling for 3-4. I should have gone out
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,925 Captain
    Dang ya'll killed it, congrats.
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
  • MaycoMayco Posts: 105 Officer
    nice catch
  • BearmaticBearmatic Posts: 576 Officer
    Nice days work guys.
  • AlwaysforwardAlwaysforward Posts: 1,502 Captain
    Your very welcome FISHHUNTR... Here is some pics and video for you... We had a blast on the tree all day long. Will post a report shortly. After we left there we spotted a patch of weeds about the size of a dinner table. We stopped to sabiki up some baits for the trip back in. Cal puts out a bait and FISH on.. We had seven big gaffers around the boat and got two of them into the boat before they split...

Enjoy the pics and short video below:

Give us a shout out there anytime your out and if we have located the bite, your more than welcome to join in guys... :applause

• LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,040 Captain
    Nice mess of Fins I like the fact that there are some out there. Thanks for the report.

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    FISHHUNTR wrote: »
    Thanks MH.. I was leaning towards that as I've not known bonita to be out that deep... shoulda stayed off em and slung a waxwing at'em.

That is exactly what we did, stay back have someone watch direction there moving while someone gets the daisy chains out.
    You can put your spread way back and troll 8-12kn in front of them.
    You were right on with the size I have never seen them that small before.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,257 Officer
    That is a killer report and way cool AF called you over!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
  • FS JimFS Jim Posts: 474 Officer
    That's how Jeff rolls.. One of the best ambassadors of our sport out there..
  • robalorogrobalorog Posts: 495 Officer
    Nice job putting some fish in the boat.
  • Jukes23Jukes23 Posts: 36 Deckhand
    saw you catching bait at Shrimpers earlier in the day, that spot was producing. The funny thing about those cobia...I came back to that spot on my way in as I marked some nice fish while getting bait earlier and I figured I would try later in the day when it wasnt so busy. Pulled up to Shrimpers around 11:30 or so, there is a dolphin (the flipper kind) lounging about. Drifted through several times, get hooked up on something nice...get it to the boat and its a cobia..he had a couple buddies with him. get him to the boat, my dolphin is on the prowl and heading for a free snack. I horse the cobia into the boat and the dolphin looked pi$$ed.
    After measuring the cobe, he was about 3 inches too short so I dropped him back in. Not sure if it was the same group, but you never know :shrug

Awesome job on the phins!
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,261 Officer
    Yeah the baits really seemed to turn on after 8 or so. Thats cool that you went back and caught one, to bad he was short. We also stopped back by late in the afternoon, but never saw any... put baits out on top and down deep.
  • Jukes23Jukes23 Posts: 36 Deckhand
    bait stayed pretty consistent throughout the day since a couple boats pulled up and filled their livewells as we drifted. the bluefish were pretty thick in there. I hooked on of those. There were schools just outside the inlet tearing bait up in the morning. Saw a kingfish earlier in the morning crashing bait at cleared about 10 feet of air chasing the bait..the bait was also 10 feet in the air right in front of him. Pretty cool to see.
  • PermitchaserPermitchaser Posts: 871 Officer
    you guys pick a great day .well done.
  • Lori Jo FishingLori Jo Fishing Posts: 666 Officer
    Nice haul!
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    Very nice haul indeed and good of you Jeff / AF...

Sent from my Droid on "THIS side"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file