Last day last year & first day this year 8 point down:

gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,501 Captain
Last year I shot an 8 point on the last day. Fast forward to ml opener this year. Here is my story:

Finally I used the new hunting season dates to my advantage and was able to kill me a rutting South Florida buck.

Saturday was opening day for our black powder season down south. Fist morning was beautiful not a lick of wind. One of them mornings you dream about during the off season. Only problem was you didnt need a flashlight to get to your stand the dang moon as bright as can be. I sat at my favorite for sure thing stand and didnt see a thing. Was I surprised NO, been there done that too many times.

That afternoon I didnt leave camp until 5pm I knew that if anything happened it was going to be at dark30. I get in my stand at 5:45 and the wait is on. Three does come at 7:15 I am happy at least I have seen a deer all is not wasted. They move on I texted my buddy Allen and told him that I had seen 3 nannies maybe they will stat moving. He texted me back get ready there maybe a buck on their tail. I texted back dont think so they were calm as can be. As soon as I look up this buck passes my me at 120 yards. Of course he is gone as soon as he appears. So I start looking for my dern doe bleat can. Cant find it, during my rummage through my backpack I find my trusty true talker grunt call. I get my gun in positive. Barely blew a soft grunt and I hear water busted here he comes. He turned broadside at about 110 yards and I let a 45 cal barnes sabot backed by 110 grain blackkawk powder fly. Baaawl and splash he is in about a foot a water. WOW I couldnt believe how fast everything happened.

Anyway here he is not the biggest buck in the woods. But frankly when you hunt south florida they are all good in my opinion.

DSCN0040.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

DSCN0041.jpg
"sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972

Replies

• Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,926 Officer
    Woohooo!! Bout time another falls! Congrats on a great buck! Love the brows..
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,450 Admiral
    Well done! Great looking buck!!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • mrbillmrbill Posts: 1,171 Officer
    awsome deer there nice job !
  • inthepinesinthepines Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    That's a nice buck right there. Way to start the season. Congrats!
  • spfldbowhunterspfldbowhunter Posts: 889 Officer
    Congrats, nice buck
    Eph. 3:20
  • BatemasterBatemaster Posts: 1,699 Captain
    Thats an awesome buck Eddie. Congrats!
  • ReelAffair23ReelAffair23 Posts: 784 Officer
    Ain't nothing wrong with that Eddie, congrats. I couldn't see the g3 on the right side on the text you sent.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 4,661 Captain
    Good Job.
    That,d be Me but I Freakin Gut Shot a 6 in Picy. Strand this Morning. He,s in the Swamp still...And I ain,t Happy
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • superfishsuperfish Posts: 112 Officer
    Very nice indeed,congrats!!
  • DropTine797DropTine797 Posts: 681 Officer
    Great buck eddie! He's got quite some character to him. Congrats!
    Seven down, Eight to go.
  • BowtechGen3BowtechGen3 Altoona, FlPosts: 772 Officer
    Congrats
    Director - Central Florida Dog Hunters & Sportsmans Association
    https://www.facebook.com/CFDHSA

1461718pb77ew55q8.gif
  • Nice bone!
    Got something to throw away???
    > call Bragg's Roll-Off Dumpsters, Inc. (321) 403-3022
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,087 Officer
    Well done sir! A very nice deer, I would shoot in a heartbeat. Thanks for all the details.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,501 Captain
    Thanks for all the kind words guys. No matter how much you prepare and how much you think you have this game figured out.

Without Lady Luck on your side you are SOL.

So yes make sure you are the right place. But the right time is the tricky part.
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,501 Captain
    Good Job.
    That,d be Me but I Freakin Gut Shot a 6 in Picy. Strand this Morning. He,s in the Swamp still...And I ain,t Happy

That hurts there is not a person on this forum with a few miles on his boots that has not been where you are today. It is a sick feeling. The only remedy is to get back on stand and finish the job.

By the way how is it looking out at Pic? are you seeing a lot of game? If you hear some old men out there deep in the swamp running dogs? Dont worry they are only the ghost of my uncle and chronies. We hunted that area before the blocks back in the 60s.
  • down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,580 Officer
    Congrats Eddie , thats a nice buck .
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
    [IMG][/img]
  • nativecrackernativecracker Posts: 293 Officer
    Congrats on a great buck sir. Love the brown antlers.
  • flhunter65flhunter65 Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Congrats, great buck. Beautiful colored antlers.
  • GetumspikeGetumspike Posts: 138 Officer
    You smoked a nice one, Congrats.
  • KBGKBG Posts: 186 Deckhand
    Great deer and great story.
    The welfare of the state depends on the morals of its citizens.

http://probowsociety.net/wp/

http://www.tbof.org/
  • GrillaGGrillaG Posts: 1,259 Officer
    nice deer, congrats
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 4,661 Captain
    [QUOTE=gator4ever;That hurts there is not a person on this forum with a few miles on his boots that has not been where you are today. It is a sick feeling. The only remedy is to get back on stand and finish the job.

By the way how is it looking out at Pic? are you seeing a lot of game? If you hear some old men out there deep in the swamp running dogs? Dont worry they are only the ghost of my uncle and chronies. We hunted that area before the blocks back in the 60s.

Seen 9 Deer Sat.
    6 Deer Sunday
    4 Deer Today
    One Legal Spike I passed on, And the 6 that I looked again for this Morning
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 1,821 Captain
    Congrats! Nice deer anywhere in FL!
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,242 Officer
    Great buck and good shooting.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • maq attaqmaq attaq Posts: 555 Officer
    Way to go Eddie
    Take your kids hunting and fishing...no experience like it!!!!!

Follow us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/BoneHeadHuntClub

http://www.facebook.com/RunningwithDanny

Like our page and join in the fight to Find the Cure for Cystic Fibrosis
  • NICE BUCK CONGRADS
    THE BUTCHER
  • MOCEAN CONTROLMOCEAN CONTROL Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    nice buck eddy

congrats
  • Slopps08Slopps08 Posts: 1,038 Officer
    Nice job!
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 11,796 AG
    :beer
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • BCSAILSBCSAILS Posts: 435 Officer
    Nice job Ed!!! Man, I wanted to be out there for the ML opener but had to do the fishing/lobster thing in Bimini for Labor day weekend. I'll be out this coming weekend and will give my ML a shot, hopefully...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file