Bimini Big Bame Club Wahoo Tournament

CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,763 Captain
Right now just getting off the ground... Trying to get some input of what people might like to see. Unlike the Billfish tourney run by previous management team that largely ignored potential participant input, we would like to see this one get off the ground with you in mind.
Its possible this would be a two prong event with one in fall and one late winter. Early stages of this indicate a very reasonable entry with "added levels" for those who feel their game is a little better than the other guy. Easy on the rules, lots of goodie give aways and a light on land atmosphere are what are currently being discussed.

What I'd like to know from you is what you see that could make this event stand out for fun. Entry fees? Food and drink ideas? Number of days? Prize format? Whatever you think might make this worth doing...

If you're too shy to put it on line feel free to toss me a PM. Any and all ideas will be looked at seriously...

Replies

• CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,763 Captain
    Elsewhere this thing has great legs... Taking off in a good direction fast... In under a day enough interest generated to move forward. Would love to hear from the FS brotherhood particularly in this forum who could possibly be in this thing to hear what it is that they would want to see and have in a tourney of this kind...
  • Flyers UpFlyers Up Posts: 655 Officer
    I think this would be great, with new management at the OBB maybe a possible second leg location so the guys in PB and Stuart area can participate. Some ideas could be dock side food and drink contest, each boat cooks their signature dish and cocktial. IMO dock side parties are great you get to meet people and tell lies.
    Good idea... We're batting ideas around for party within party thing... As for OBB my ties are at Big Game Club and though I've been handed the ball, this is their deal... The response has been exceptional on another site. Not sure why not much here as i would think a lot in this forum would be the most likely players. Might just be that its quiet time of year and wahoo fever hasn't hit.
    Anyway we have enough positive response from potential players to get this thing moving forward. Looks like the dates of the first event will be Nov 15- 18th. Already have artwork for tee shirts underway. Gathered up certified scale, PA system, dusted off leader board. Designing brochures...
    Would like to hear more ideas before going to press with the flyers . Rule suggestions, prize suggestions, etc...
  • halebophalebop Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Hey compleat email me and i will send you my number. We started a tournament like this in Great Harbor that we charge like $600 and gives 4 shirts and 2 nights of dinners and a breakfast its a one day deal. All left over money goes to the local school. Its more about the great friendships than the money! I can give you some ideas and a man that can help! We thought of doing a second one in West end! Anyway good luck!
    Thanks... Will email... This will be a little more serious of nature with two full days of fishing... We're working on room, dock, meal special pricing and trying to figure more details as we progress... Trying to piece together a base purse and prize structure at this point along with hors douvres, give away drinks, tee shirts and other freebies . Once we get that done we can dial in more clearly a base entry fee. We feel that added entry levels or calcuttas will still allow the hard core guys to play hard while others just looking for a good time won't be knocked out of the park just by base entry.
    Also trying to pick which charity we want to help support. Previous management went overboard with that end and it was so prohibitively expensive nobody wanted to play... We're considering a simple raffle and 50/50 to cover that end...
    Whole lot to do at this point from an organization stand point on the basics. Still love the suggestions that keep flowing... Not so sure about the Victorias Secret show or wet tee shirt contest that were suggested to me but I'm sure we can come up with something fun... :)
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,380 Captain
    You might want to toss this up in the South General section as that's closest to Bimini and those most likely to shoot across. SE General may also get some participants from the Boca area. Just a thought. Seems tough to get the guys north of Palm Beach to head down that way with West End only 55 miles away.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
    Very good points Dave... Thank you... The idea of an event at OBB has been tossed in the mix. Before I could say yes or no I will need to run it past both facilities to get their thoughts. This event not only has legs its sprouting wings as well. I appreciate all the input I'm getting from people here and elsewhere on the web. Many good ideas have been passed on and they are all being folded in the mix. Anglers and teams are what the tournament is all about and listening to their wants makes a load of sense.
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,380 Captain
    If West End is really in the conversation let me know. We shared a bottle of wine with the new owner of Blue Marlin Cove two weekends ago and I know a good deal can be worked out with them. They are doing a great job making it a first class stop.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
    Prize suggestions, Cash is allways good, pair of 80 wides on bent butt rods, Custom wahoo lures, BoatUS Membership, Full boat detailing, EPIRB, YETI coolers, Binoculars, Ditch bag, Sun glasses.
    While I'd love to say we got all that covered the sponsors are tight as the wire on a grander bluefin. I did some cold calling on potential wet based sponsors...Forgot how frustrating that can be... This economy has them walled right off just trying to survive. I mean its quiet on that side of the world. Only things we have so far are what we as the tourney are putting in. We do have a trickle of stuff from great go to supporters like Mitch Roffer for example but we need a whole lot more. The B+T shops up here in the Palm Beaches all pulled zeros. Not so much as coozies or key chains even. If you guys that are in this thing have friends in the shops on the south end, let em know about this thing. We don't care if its a lure, rod, reel, trophy sponsorship, tee shirts, buckets, or what ever we need stuff...
    Gonna work on some land based sponsors up this way tomorrow... Guess next week i need to run south and continue knocking on doors...
    Great Idea!
    Complete try calling LMR in Ft Lauderdale they just moved to a new location, maybe a good opportunity..
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Reach out to Hopkins Carter here in Miami...they have been very supportive in the past on tournys. Its worth a check...maybe baitmasters here in Miami, they might help out as well!!
    Hopkins is on board... I need to nail down specifics tho. LMR is on my try list. Custom Rod+ Gun, RJ Boyle, Complete Angler, Capt Harrys, Boyds and others as well... Club really stepping to the plate as well... Couple real big ones from them.
    Baitmasters and bionic will both be approached... Cruzan, Captain Morgan, Bud, and others as well...

Today was northern Palm Beach County B+T shops and that was a bust...or almost... (I stepped to the plate with some of my own inventory)... Basically going to hit my Broward and Dade sales call lists from lure selling days... Need to drop off my inflatable to my place at Ocean Reef any way so I'll make a "thing" out of it... :)
    He's the one who asked me to spear head this thing...
    He's organizing the artwork and "specials" along with comming up with some nifty prizes as well as we speak.
    As soon as we have this all ironed out, formatted and flyers ready to go to press we will roll out all the details. We are taking suggestions still and rolling them into the event as we go.
    They still do that... Thats why I'm talkin to cruzan and Capt Morgan... :)

When i used to run the CAST series we had both Marlboro (Phillip morris) and Winston (RJ Reynolds) get on board and got into "gift wars"... Man was that great! They both showed up at an event we ran in Riviera Beach and it was game on. They started tossing t-shirts, and plastic mugs, then ramped it up to sunglasses and headset radios, then to full on suitcases and travel fly-spin rod reel combos, Head set type radios and even mini Tv sets eventually made it in the fray.
    Give it some time we'll get stuff cooking. BBGC is a great name to be associated with and exposure should be real good.
    Compleat, also try Competition bait and tackle in Ft Laud, New owners may want some BBGC exposure.
    Thanks! Thats one that slipped by under the radar. Keep bringing em folks. B+T, marine supply, restaurants, liquor companies, artists, jewelers, can all come together to make this better and better.
    Can't leave out the single most important factor to making this thing great. The anglers and crews! The format is currently structured to bring the base entry in well below others and a large portion of that going to a base purse as well as other prizes.... Something I have noticed in many events is high entry with not much more than some food and drink to show for it... We are trying to get back to the way tournies should be. Yeah we will have some food and drink but want to get some cash and prize pay back even at the base entry.
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 3,822 Captain
    Compleat, it would be great to get BBGC back on the map again with tournaments. Seems like you are going about it the right way. :beer
    Anglers and crews ARE the tournament so their opinions, ideas, input are imperative in making this work. We need their help in gathering goodies to toss in the prize pile as its easier for them to approach "friends" than it is for a stranger to just walk up with his hand out asking for stuff...
    I love ALL the input... We want to make this YOUR tournament... :)
    Complete also try Bass Pro Shops..
    They are very tough to approach but will try them and Gander Mountain as well. Can't hurt to at least try...
    The "BiminI Wahoo Smackdown" is gaining steam! Nice gifts and prizes starting to flow. No longer just ribs and wings for awards... Roasting a couple hogs too so we need some more players to help eat em! :)
    Somebody asked and I should have made clear from the start. Guy Harvey nor his staff have any affiliation with this tournament or the resort....
    We finalized this only a short time ago.... Lot of ducks to get in a row. Capts Meeting will be at BBGC on the 15th. Fishing will be 16 and 17th with awards dinner the night of the 17th.
    We have quite a few interested anglers on board so far and the sponsors are starting to cough up some really nice prizes... As he mentions, details still getting idialed in and as they become official we'll pop it up on line....
    Entry fee is currently set at $1250 per team of four. Additional passes can be had for $100 and includes, t-shirt, goodie bag, meal tickets, etc...

Top team determined by total weight for two days. 3 fish max each day. Pretty much Jungle rules but no electric reels and gotta stay in Bahamas territorial waters. Six lines per boat...

Awards dinner will include a wild pig roast.... (Or two) :)

Top team day 1 and 2
    Largest fish day 1 and 2
    Top Team Overall
    2nd Team Overall
    3rd Team Overall
    Top Lady Angler
    Top Junior Angler
    Largest Fish Overall
    and more comming....

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna continue running around and rounding up more cool stuff to give away and make this event that really stands out! :)
  • Complete, Call LP, they are always on board even if this isn't an electric reel trounament. They know we all fish deep drop in the islands and LP has always been very generous
    Cool... That idea hadn't crossed the fence yet so appreciate it...!
  • Bite N HoldBite N Hold Posts: 1,328 Officer
    At $1250 per boat(not counting fuel, customs, room, food....), I'd be willing to bet you eliminated more than half of any forum members from here that would be willing to go. Especially hard a month before the holidays.
    FOR SALE-Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."
    What we found is that the wahoo fishermen that are serious about these events want pay outs. In states you can get a lot of boats cause they don't have to run far and make it up with volume. The other wahoo tournies out there are at $2000 or even $2500 just to get in with luttle or no pay out at base entry. We are structured to have $12,500 as base pay outs with as little 25 boats in it. If more attend the pay outs will be higher yet. The calcuttas will pay out big money.
    The base costs of running a tourney are high. Higher in the Bahamas. Brochures, tee shirts, bags or buckets, bucket/ bag stuffers, door prizes, food and drink, wait staff, bar staff, tent, pa system, tables, chairs, certified scales, all cost money as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file