Shark tips?

SwizzleSwizzle Posts: 534 Officer
Of late I have been attempting to chase larger sharks. Typically I will use large ladyfish, bull mullet or bonita as bait. I caught a 5 footer a few weeks ago and almost hailed something larger in, but it snapped my 10/0 hook. Since then just small atlantic sharp nosed sharks. Similar tides, same spot. Am I missing something?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Replies

• aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,222 Officer
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,913 Officer
    i had a dream right before i woke up that i was chucking half of a big ladyfish in the water, from shore, not even a big cast, and within 2 minutes it was being taken by a HUGE like 9 10 ft tiger it looked like. i saw it roll right on the surface, then it came up and bit my friends leg who was wading knee deep in the water along the mangroves, reached for my gun, saw it release his thigh and i ran for a towel. that was a crazy dream.

for larger sharks, you just have to chuck bait, and hope there are large sharks around i think.
  • Austin MitchellAustin Mitchell Posts: 361 Officer
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Of late I have been attempting to chase larger sharks. Typically I will use large ladyfish, bull mullet or bonita as bait. I caught a 5 footer a few weeks ago and almost hailed something larger in, but it snapped my 10/0 hook. Since then just small atlantic sharp nosed sharks. Similar tides, same spot. Am I missing something?

So I was watching a T.V show last night and the guy had a really good idea.. Put some cut up fish in panty hose, yes I said panty hose lol.. It acts as a chum bag and the sharks scoop it up and love it.. The show is called "Off the Hook extreme fishing" it's on animal planet. I would of never thought of doing this until he did it yesterday.
    logo-bottom.png
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    then you have a shark with nylon panty hose in its gut.. that was about the stupidest thing I ever seen.
    then you have a shark with nylon panty hose in its gut.. that was about the stupidest thing I ever seen.

Not necessarily, the shark didn't swallow it and if you set the hook at the right time it wont go in its gut.. If you watch the episode you see the panty hose in the sharks mouth and they removed it.
    logo-bottom.png
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    first are you casting baits or kayaking baits off a beach or pier? or are you on a boat? if kayaking or on a boat get a nice ray and paddle him out or float it off the boat with a few holes on him from stabbing it with a knife. little sharks wont mess with it. smallest i have got on a whole 10lb ray was around 6 foot.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • SwizzleSwizzle Posts: 534 Officer
    I am bridge fishing. I have 4 conventionals. I will balloon 2 and bottom fish 2.

• addicted2reelinaddicted2reelin Posts: 132 Officer
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I am bridge fishing. I have 4 conventionals. I will balloon 2 and bottom fish 2.

Agree
    if your ballooning get the big punch ball balloons and float a ray out
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 13,665 AG
    Go to a pier and collect a few rays that are caught,,,, good bait for most inshore sharks.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    Cool, I will give it a whack. I have heard about the ray bait, but I have never tried it.

Every thing loves rays. I have never seen rays picked apart by crabs and pinfish like other baits. But can your reels handle a ray? What reels are you fishing and are you buying leaders or making them. If you want to get into shark fishing check out southfloridasharkclub.com

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
    I use a daiwa 600h and a 9/0 daiwa rock cod special with a power cranker. The other 2 are penn 4/0. The daiwas are spun with 100lb power pro with homemade 180lb wire with either 10/0 or 14/0 hooks.

• Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Officer
    Sounds like you're doing everything right. MAybe you are experience a cold water upwelling like we are in east CF that has the big shark bite shut down.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
    on the 9/0 i would use a whole ray with a wing cut off depending on the size of the ray. the 4/0 use the ray wing the 600 you can use either or.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • WhataRushWhataRush Posts: 12 Greenhorn

Sharks pretty much eat anything standing in there path anyways Tester. metal, wood, etc.. LoL. I watched the show hilarious!!! If anything a little pantyhose would almost be like giving the shark a laxative.. :hungry

Needless to say the idea may possibly end up on the deck of my boat in the near future. LOL.
    WhataRush wrote: »
    Sharks pretty much eat anything standing in there path anyways Tester. metal, wood, etc.. LoL. I watched the show hilarious!!! If anything a little pantyhose would almost be like giving the shark a laxative.. :hungry

Needless to say the idea may possibly end up on the deck of my boat in the near future. LOL.

x2, next time we go out I'm trying it.
    logo-bottom.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file