My Approach to Snapper Fishing (Jupiter Area)

All the above were caught in the last 2 weeks...

I’ve received A LOT of eMails and forum post about my Snapper fishing, so, here you go…

Generally speaking, in the summer, I don’t even think about trolling… Sometimes I don’t even take my trolling gear. If a friend calls and reports of the ultimate weed line in 500 feet or something unique going on, then that’s different. I focus almost exclusively on bottom fishing, targeting Snapper, Lanes (because they make great use Whole Fried Thai Style) Yellowtail’s (because they’re my favorite) and Muttons (because they can be soooo big if you know how to target them).

In the summers, I also typically don’t go much beyond 65’, I have found the when you get out to the 120 line, there’s just too many bonita, and the bottom fishing renders more big nasty jacks vs. Snapper… Some will argue with me about it, but my experience has been, avoid 120-200’ during the summers, again, just my opinion.

If you don't have a GOOD bottom sounder, get one, otherwise, you're fishing BLIND when it comes to bottom fishing... I live on mine (Garmin 740S with the transducer inside the bottom of the boat, epoxied to the inside of the hull, sending it's signal through the hull of the boat, some people think they don't work well this way, but some say they work better actually)

Don’t do the herd mentality (assuming you have a good fish finder, it’s worth every penny!) A lot of people go out, and they see a lot of boats and go there, assuming there’s fish, but, that’s what 50 boats before you thought too, hence, why there’s so many people there… Get a good bottom sounder (are you getting the point yet? LOL) and find your own spots and mark them. When you’re moving about, always look at your sounder and you’ll find new spots… I marked two new GREAT spots in the just last 2 weeks.

Also, where the “dive boats” are, there’s something interesting for divers to look at, so, generally speaking, that’s a good area, HOWEVER remember you MUST give dive boats at least 200 ft of room (maybe more, someone here will know the LEGAL range) and take this very seriously, I saw a confrontation just last weekend and I’m sure the angler got a visit from the authorities because the dive boat captain took a pic of his reg #’s

I've been having great luck in the 65' range, right on the lump and edges of the lump, these areas are about 1nm north of The Zoo and run north for 2-3nm… Again, get a good sounder…

Generally speaking, I drift over a spot that I'm marking a lot of fish, and then drive back up current and drift over it again and again and again... I catch a LOT of great Snapper doing this... Blindly drifting along, is, well, blind… You’ll get a good tan, but you’ll likely be eating Pizza…

As far as my “standard rig”, I used a chicken rig with a 5oz weight, but up to 10-12oz if the current is blazing and I’m in deeper water. I use double hooks, 2 sets on 50lb fluorocarbon leader.

My standard rod and reel (for everyday Snapper, not the BEAST Muttons) are Shimano TN-20’s with custom rods that I bought at Fishing Headquarters, made by a guy in Stuart (Crowder Rods) that is 6’6” long.

I prefer fresh caught bait, but believe it or not, I don’t put it in the live well, I put a slushy ice water mix in my live well and toss them in… Once I have enough, I head off shore… Either way, fresh caught and slush mix, or boxed sardines, I cut them in half, cut off the tail (so it won’t spin) and put two pieces on my chicken rig, which is two double hooks each (the guys at Fishing HQ can show you EXACTLY what you need and even how to set it up. I moved here three years ago (native of St. Pete) and Jack, Pete, Tommy, et all are just super guys who converted me from my West Coast of Florida Grouper ways and helped me get rigged up for the Proper man’s way of fishing <laughing…>

That’s about as far as I can go…. My secret rig and trick, I just can’t share as I was sworn into a secret Snaponic Society Ritual (just kidding of course), but honestly, 80% of my Snapper are caught with the exact rigs, rods, reels and techniques I cover above…

• LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    One more from yesterday...
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,780 Moderator
    This is good info for anyone looking to bottom fish anywhere. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Keeping busy while away from Florida
  • roweryborowerybo Posts: 2,091 Officer
  • CapnDCapnD Posts: 177 Officer
    That was a great read! Thanks for the info. | Locating everything you need for a great day on the water just got easier
  • brightlightsbrightlights Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Really good stuff.

How much oil are you heating up to keep the temp so high as to get that fish nice and crispy?
    350 to a max of 375 degrees is the best temp for cooking a Whole Snapper... Too low and the fish will take longer to cook and absorb more oil and maybe be a bit greasy, too high and the outside will burn and the inside under cook. I use peanut oil, pricy, but it really does taste better. For little Snapper in the 12-14" range 3-4 min per side, or 6-7 min if it's submerged (I prefer the sumbmerged method considerably over the flipping because the fish comes out just sooo perfect...

Here's a cut and paste from my recipe

Thai Style Whole Fried Snapper
    Snapper Lad Prig - with Jasmine Rice and vegetables with a Panang curry sauce…

Ingredients for the Chili (Lad Prig) Sauce
    • 1 Tbs finely chopped coriander roots (If using dried coriander, make this 2 tsp)
    • 1 Tbs finely chopped red chilli and 1 Tbs finely chopped garlic
    • NOTE – I use 2-3 Tbs of “Ground Fresh Chili Paste” from an Asian food market to replace the chopped red chili and chopped garlic above, much easier-!C!dLkjQ!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKjYEzowe7Z(7BND!-ls,Fw~~_35.JPG
    • 1/3 finely chopped shallot or onion
    • 1 tsp thinly sliced and then chopped ginger
    • Juice of two limes
    • Pinch of sea salt
    • ¼ cup water
    • ½ cup sugar
    • ¼ cup tamarind puree, soaked in boiling water for 20 minutes then sieved, liquid reserved (if you can’t find tamarind juice, add a little more lime juice)
    • ¼ cup of green onion chopped
    • 1 Tbs light soy
    • 1 Tbs fish sauce
    • Add water if needed
    • 2 Spring onions cut into 2 cm lengths
    Sauce Preparation
    It’s really simple… Add all the ingredients into a sauce pan and simmer for 30min. If too spicy add water and simmer more. If you desire to thicken the sauce, add just a little corn starch.

Ingredients and Preparation for the Whole Fried Snapper
    • Remove scales, insides, and cut off fins with a pair of kitchen scissors
    • Score the sides of the fish 3-4 times to ensure good flavor and consistent cooking
    • In a bag or bowl, mix whole wheat flour, salt, pepper and Asian Five Spice Powder (Five Spice Powder is strong, so don’t overdo it, but make sure there is enough to bold up the flavor a bit) – It can be purchased at Publix -
    • Coat fish with flour mixture and set aside for 10-15 min, I prefer to use a big ziplock bag for this if you have one big enough. We buy the jumbo ziplocks just for this…
    • I prefer peanut oil for this, but vegetable oil will work – Some people cook the fish on each side for about 4 min, but I prefer to have enough oil to emerge whole fish and cook for about 5 min.
    • Cut green onion and a thinly sliced lime for garnish
  • BocaBocaBocaBoca Posts: 606 Officer
    Great post and really nice of you to take the time to share how you do it....and so well! Thanks again.
  • Capt_GerryCapt_Gerry Posts: 173 Officer
    Great post dhickson! :beer
    Changin' Latitudes
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,064 Captain

I really appreciate the time you put into posting your tried and true methods:applause. I have used the chicken rigs with some success in the past, but haven't tried the double hooks and mostly worked with squid. Now I have some new tricks to try out. As for the double hooks, what size works best for you?

Plus you throw in a killer looking recipe!!!! Hands down great post:hail
    <laughing> - I tried to give some good info... As far as hook size, it depends... locally, I typically use 6 or 7 double hooks, sometimes 5 depending on the bite, but 6 would be a good middle ground to start with (again, talk with Jack, Pete, and Tommy at Fishing Headquarters).... However, in the Bahamas, for Yellowtails, I use 2's and their single hooks, but your fishing in 45-50' of water and you can chum the Yellowtails and Triggers right up to the surface behind the boat... I don't even use lead sometimes there, or maybe 2oz... Here, you've GOT to deal with the current...

I've heard a lot of people say "you shouldn't use too much lead", but I tend to disagree, especially on a chicken rig, the hooks are above the weights, you'll feel the bite just fine... I would rather get my bait down quickly, so it's closer to right under the boat (better feel and response time) than keep panning it out until I'm sending a cable to Cuba it's so far out there... I also walk up current on my boat, e.g. to the bow, then drop in there, and walk backwards, that gives you your entire boat lenght of drift time to keep it directly under you...

Some of these concepts are work, and can annoy your friends, that is, until they look at the cooler at the end of the day... Then, they realize it's worth it... My attitude is, "if you're going to invest in the boat, the gear, the bait, the fuel, and the time, don't cut corners when you're actually on the water..."
    Honestly, all of this info is worthless, if you don't have a good bottom sounder (nothing less than something like a Garmin 740S)....... I've caught $2,500 (retail) in fish these last 2 to 2.5 weeks... Get a good sounder, the right gear and these suggestions and you will see a difference, maybe a big difference...

I also believe in good ocean karma... Never gaff a fish you're not going to keep (I can't believe how many people gaff a bonita to release it! WTH, it has a purpose man...) Never keep a small fish (even if it's legal, if it's small (other than Lanes) toss it back...)) and this may sound crazy, but we always release our live baits left over at the end of the day pretty much exactly where we caught them... Any left over cut bait that we have, we feed to the pelicans at SG and Bubba's....

Good luck to all...
  • robalorogrobalorog Posts: 495 Officer
    Thanks for sharing the info. I would of thought 6 or 7 would be on the big size, I usually use 4 or 5. Time to bump up my hooks. I went out last week and forgot I had 3 runners still in the livewell so my son and I ran to a park by my house and dumped them in. I agree with tossing the smalls back. My motto is if you gotta measure then you should probably toss it back..
  • area52area52 Posts: 513 Officer
    Nice shirt!
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,250 Captain
    I have a question, once you hit bottom I've been taught/told to keep the line running out off the spool (free spool with thumb) so that I guess theoretically the bait is staying in about the same place and on the bottom, and only the boat is drifting away from your original drop zone. Is this the way you fish, or do you allow the rig/sinker to bounce along the bottom as you drift?

Thanks in advance.
    brianb wrote: »
    I have a question, once you hit bottom I've been taught/told to keep the line running out off the spool (free spool with thumb) so that I guess theoretically the bait is staying in about the same place and on the bottom, and only the boat is drifting away from your original drop zone. Is this the way you fish, or do you allow the rig/sinker to bounce along the bottom as you drift?

Thanks in advance.

For every day Snapper fishing, I use a Shimano TN-20's, which is a lever drag... I free spool the line as quickly as I can and the second it hits the bottom, I shove the lever forward, locking the reel and get ready for strike.... If I don't feel the lead bouncing the bottom, it means the current has lifted my line up due to the angle of the line in the water, so I release the lever, free spool until I hit the bottom again, and shove the lever fwd again to lock the reel... I'll only do this 3-4, maybe 4-5 times, if you pan out too much line, you can't feel the bite as well, especially in choppy conditions.

IMO, what you've been told above, you'll struggle to feel the bite if you're constantly fee spooling the line, just my opinion of course...

I anchor up and fish now and then, but that's a completely different way of fishing... 80% of my Snapper are caught how I've described in this thread...
    I just realized, I didn't fully address "hook size"...

In the Bahamas, for Yellowtail and average snapper, I use smaller hooks and smaller cut bait, it's just easier there, in particular, water depths of 35-45ft make it quite easy, so I typically use a chicken rig with a 2 or 3 size "single" hook...

Locally, the smallest hook I'll use is a 5 double hook on a chicken rig... I played around a lot with 3's and 4's, and my opinion is if you go smaller, than a 5 hook, the hook is so small, it's burried in the bait and not exposed, and thus a smart Snapper (and they're all pretty **** smart like a Snook) can strip the bait off easier... I use 6's a lot, the hook tip is exposed a weeeee bit, and with a decent strike and a good set, that's all it takes....
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,250 Captain
    I agree dhickson, never understood how I'm gonna feel a bite, etc. with my line 100 yds out and darn near parallel to the ocean. Thanks. The Darcie Lynne II will be using your techniques this weekend, I've been thinking of the chicken rig for months anywhos.
    An additional thought to noodle on.... I don't use a swivel, I tie my 80lb braid directly to my 50lb flourocaron leader... I leave about 3ft of line from the lead at the bottom to the first hook, then about 2ft up higher for the 2nd set of double hooks... Honestly, when the bite is really hot, we double hookup quite often, in particular on the Lanes, which as I've said are GREAT for Whole Fried Snapper Thai Style...
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,257 Officer
    brianb wrote: »
    I agree dhickson, never understood how I'm gonna feel a bite, etc. with my line 100 yds out and darn near parallel to the ocean. Thanks. The Darcie Lynne II will be using your techniques this weekend, I've been thinking of the chicken rig for months anywhos.

Great Post Dhickson, and nice of you to share.
    Brian B, NOTE when you use a chicken rig, you do NOT spool bottom like I was teaching you and Darcizzle. :grin

Like Dhickson said , he is using them in shallow on the high bar,with a HEAVY weight
    (not the 2-6 oz like Black Dog, Samana, Native some Jupiter 6 packs use.)
    Imagine a big bank sinker at bottom with 2 loops for hooks like Dhickson said.
    If you talk to 10 snapper guys, you may get 10 different opinions. Personally, i like the Mustads 92663 in 3/0 to 5/0 for snapper, and 6/0 for kings,but each of us gotta go with what works for us)

IMHO chicken rigs are a GREAT way to catch fish, but primarily designed for targeting smaller snapper like lanes, yellow tails and mangroves. (not to say mutttons won't hit them,but perhaps not so many over 10lbs will fall this way IMHO)

Personally when I want BIG Muttons, on light tackle, the 15'+ leader and spooling bottom is where it's at. Dhickson is DEAD ON about finding areas you like (GET a GOOD bottom machine) and then repeating short drifts. If we get lazy and just "let her slide" the results will show in our coolers at end of day, and yep maybe Pizza for dinner! :wink

In some ways "spooling bottom" It is like an art form, that takes time to develop. You need to picture what is going on 65-90+ feet down, and let out enough line to hug bottom, but not so much you get hung up. This is just an option for a fun and SPORTY way to let these fish show you what they can do! Big muttons (say 10lb plus) can easily RIP off 30-50 yards of drag on 15-20lb test, and will fight you ALL the way up. I have had anglers thought it was a king on the strike, trust me you WILL feel the bite!

Note: One can also use a big 50 class reel and VERY long leader with a lb or more of lead, and WAX em like Miagi! lol

Here is an example of a recent average day, and some of the random better days in the past with my son (C$) and Litigator
    I LOVE info / knowledge transfer, and just sharing my .02 (no disrespect to dhickson)!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    E$ - I fully agree with pretty much everything you say, as I call it my "standard" rig... I didn't get into targeting the big muttons, which is altogether different. I'm using 30' flourocarbon, Penn 50, and a totally different everything for that... Most people don't want to invest what is required there, and as you know, it's a lot more than a long leader... This post started because I see a lot of people posting/asking for some every day tips on Snapper and wanted to share enough, but not sell out the store... Would be great to have a beer one day...

Take care,
    Oh, not sure if you saw in the beginning of this post, but I intentionally target plate size snapper probably 50% of the time, easy pickens for my Thai Style Whole Fried Snapper recipe I posted on Page 1, check it out, it's really pretty easy, and rest assured, very tasty...
    If you've been to Blue Heaven in Key West, they have a Yellowtail Snapper dish that's never on the menu, but is pretty much always a special... Here's my verison of it... It's traditionally served with a size of sauteed green beans, angle hair pasta and a splash of fresh corn nibblets tossed about...

• 1/2 cup dry white wine
    • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    • 1 tablespoon lime juice
    • 1/4 cup whipping cream
    • 2 tsp sugar (just enough to remove the tartness)
    • 5 tablespoons cold butter
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • Sugar (to remove tartness from sauce)
    • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 2 6- 8-ounce yellowtail snapper, grouper or other snapper fillets
    1. For citrus beurre blanc, combine wine and juices in a pan and boil until reduced to 3 tablespoons, about 10 minutes.
    2. Add cream and simmer to about 1 1/8 4 cup and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in 4 tablespoons butter. Season with salt and pepper, set aside and keep warm.
    Add sugar to remove tartness.
    3. Meanwhile, pour flour in a shallow dish and dip fillets in it to coat. Melt remaining butter in a pan and cook fillets, turning once, till fish flakes easily, about 8 minutes.
    4. Serve fish and drizzle with cream beurre blanc with, steamed fresh green beans and fresh corn.
    Another sauce for Snapper that I came up with...

My position is, if you're going to catch a lot of fish, you better have more than one way to serve it up, or you wife will ask if your boat is with it! LOL

Lemon Mango Cream Sauce for Fish

• Juice of two lemons
    • Juice of 1 mango (using the same fruit press that we had for the lemons, see image below)
    • 3 cups heavy whipping cream (you’re only having 1-2 tbs max, you’re not drinking it with a straw)
    • 1 stick of butter (you’re only having 1-2 tbs max, you’re not drinking it with a straw)
    • 2-3 Tbs of sugar (to remove the tartness, to taste)

• Reduce the lemon just by 50%
    • Add mango juice and reduce by about 1/4
    • Add 2 cups of cream and reduce by about 1/4
    • Add butter and sugar (just enough to reduce the tartness) and serve as soon as butter melts…
    My version of Mexican Snapper or Grouper

There’s this tiny little restaurant at the end of a pier off of Anna Maria Island right were Tampabay meets the Gulf of Mexico. It’s called The Rod and Reel Club. Situated in a tiny two story building, it’s an authentic Bahamian looking dive of a place with seating for only about 30, and I promise you this, you wouldn’t eat there unless someone told you to do so, twice. In fact, it shares its space with a little bait shop and a bar downstairs with seats for about 15. I don’t know much about the menu because the first time I experienced the Rod and Reel Club, I was told to order the Mexican Grouper, and it was sooooo good, I never tried anything else after that. Skipper one evening said; “that dish would be a snap to make”. She went to Publix and her first run at it was pretty much on the money. We played around with it a few times and this is then end result.
    • Fish of your choice
    • Yellow Rice
    • Black Beans
    • Diced Tomatoes ~ (DelMonte with the Basil, Garlic and Oregano if possible, or add spices yourself)
    • Vidalia Onion
    • Green Bell Pepper
    • Red Bell Pepper
    • Mushrooms
    • Cayenne Pepper
    • Whipping Cream (or milk)
    • Sour Cream
    • Salt and Pepper to taste
    • Marinate fish in whipping cream (not much gets in, so don’t worry, or whole milk) with some salt and pepper
    • Remove fish from marinade and thoroughly pat dry
    • Rub fish with olive oil and lightly salt and pepper
    • Grill Fish….
    • Cook Yellow Rice as described.
    • Sautee ½ Vidalia onion, ½ green bell pepper, 1 red bell pepper, then add 1 can of diced tomatoes (DelMonte with the Basil, Garlic and Oregano if possible, or add spices yourself)
    • Add ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper to sauce, simmer 1 minute
    • Add mushrooms, stir and simmer 5-10 minutes over low heat.

Serve fish over a bed of yellow rice, then top fish with the tomato-cayenne sauce. Serve with a side of black beans with a spoon of sour cream as pictured.
    Snapper Ala Rusa (Russian Style)
    • Snapper Filets
    • 1-2 eggs (for soaking fish)
    • 1-2 eggs (for hard-boiling)
    • Cilantro
    • Pimiento Sliced (I prefer sliced to chopped or diced)
    • Sweat Baby Pea’s
    • Yellow Rice
    • Black Beans
    • 1 Fresh Lemon
    • ¼ Vadilla Onion
    • Italian Bread Crumbs
    • Remove skin from Snapper by placing filet on cutting surface skin side down, using a roast beef style knife, carefully work the knife through the filet just above the skin, trimming the skin off as close as possible.
    • 1-2 eggs **** with a fork with milk (or cream) in a dish that will hold the filets
    • Place filets in the dish, soak 20 min, turning 3-4 times
    • Hard boil 1-2 eggs (depending upon servings), remove from water, cool for 5 minutes, remove shell, and dice up hard boiled eggs using the back of a fork or similar device, cover with a paper towel and set aside (the paper towel keeps them fresh, but also allows them to breath so they won’t become soggy)
    • Chop up celantro
    • Remove Snapper filets from dish, and dredge in Italian bread crumbs
    • Sauté fish in 50/50 olive oil/butter (remove and place in oven at 170 if needed)
    • Prepare yellow rice as instructed
    • Bring a generous portion of sweat baby peas to a boil, remove from heat and drain water
    • 5 minutes before rice completes, add peas and sliced pimento to the yellow rice, stir, and continue to cook for 5 more minutes
    • Heat, adding 1/8 tsp of garlic salt
    • Chop onion
    • Squeeze a light amount of fresh lemon over Snapper filets (do not over do this)
    • Top Snapper filets with chopped eggs and cilantro
    • Serve Rice as is
    • Add a small portion of chopped onion to black beans, and a generous portion of source cream (1/3 reduced fat is fine)
    Italian Snapper Sandwich on Cuban Bread

• Fresh filets, thin filets are best, not too meaty, we typically use Snook or Snapper.
    • Marinate in half and half and egg for 15 min
    • Dredge through a mixture of Italian bread crumbs, finely grated parmesan-Romano cheese, with a pinch of dried rosemary (the stuff in the jar) you can buy a GREAT seasoning for this at or for $6 and it will last you for 20 meals, a GREAT mix at a GREAT price, it’s called Tuscan Rosemary, we met the owners at the 2010 Taste of Little Italy in Abaco, very nice people
    • Refrigerate for 15-20 min, or even overnight
    • Sautee in 50/50 olive oil and butter (this is one of the few dishes that I use a non-stick sauté pan, the cheese tends to stick and thus, fall off of the fish filets when flipping…)
    • Using Cuban bread (if possible) slice bread in half for sandwich bread and “lightly” butter each side of bread
    • Remove fish from sauté pan, and add a generous portion of mozzarella and parmesan grated cheese (for this use Sargento brand)
    • Put fish on Cuban bread, and add a light amount of Bruschetta including the juices and oils. The Bruschetta can be from a jar in the marinara section of the grocery store, Classico, Tomato and Basil Bruschetta it a good choice here…
    • Using the back of a fork, press down any big chunks in the Bruschetta
    • Put your sandwich in a Panini machine (preferred), or heat in oven on 350 for 10-15min
    Crawfish Monica Sauce (with this, I sautee the Snapper, and serve over a bed of mashed potato...

Sometimes I make the sauce and don’t even add Shrimp, Crawfish or Lobster, I just drizzle the sauce over the fish…
    Portions for 4
    • ½ Vidalia onion finely chopped
    • 2 tsp fresh minced garlic
    • 1 Cup whipping cream
    • 1-2 tsp of Emeril’s Original Essence (play with it to get your own favorite amount/taste)
    • Simmer to sauce thickens…
    Most of the time I serve fish over a bed of grilled vegetables, then a layer of mashed potatoes (I leave the skin on, cut the potato into chunks, boil for 15 min, remove, drain water, add back to pot, add butter, whipping cream, and a liberal amount of parmesan and mozzarella cheeses… salt and pepper to taste…
    Snapper with a Crawfish Monica Sauce, with the crawfish and just the sauce...

One with spinach at the bottom, one with asparagus at the bottom
    Snapper Taco's and a Triggerfish in a lemon caper cream sauce...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file