Tarpon and Bull Reds - Mayport Jetties

Spent the morning with good company, chasing the ever elusive Tarpon. Found a huge Pogie pod and loaded up on a days worth of bait. Spot locked and started fishing.
Was maybe 5 minutes and i was on my PB Red fish(40"). A few minutes later and my partner is being spooled by something large. A few amazing jumps and its clear hes hooked a Tarpon. 1 hour later, and he lands it after some serious chasing with the boat. Snap some pics and hes released unharmed. Next is my turn. Same story, different Tarpon lol. Beaten and bruised, we head back to try and land a few more Reds. Got 1 more giant as well as 2 very big Nurse sharks and we had to call it a day. We were definitely exhausted. Got some nice firsts out of the way. Awesome day.
Also, we didn't know about the rule saying not to take a Tarpon out of the water. All fish were released healthy.

imagejpeg_2_64.jpg
imagejpeg_2_66.jpg
imagejpeg_2_61.jpg
imagejpeg_2_65.jpg
imagejpeg_2_60.jpg

Replies

• BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,085 Admiral
    Huge smiles for huge fish! Sending you a pm now......
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • WallhangerWallhanger Posts: 282 Deckhand
    You can take Tarpon out of the water for pics. Congrats on a great day!!!
  • jacqueojacqueo Posts: 1,270 Officer
    My husband and I had this argument... what IS the rule for tarpon? I told him that you can't take them out of the water. He says I'm wrong. Settle this?
    Yes, as a matter of fact I DO fish... like a girl. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BadfishBadfish Posts: 1,069 Officer
    how much weight are you using and what size hooks?
    The only fish you cant take out of the water are those fish listed on the prohibited species list; such as Goliath grouper
  • AnnaAnna Posts: 185 Officer
    I just looked it up on the FWC website & the way I read it is that you can take them out of the water as long as you return them to the same area you took them out.
    St. Johns Management Services | Property Management | Association Management | www.stjohnsmgt.com
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,740 Captain
    Ok i have the official word on the matter of removing Tarpon from the water to take pics. It is prohibited in Boca Grande. You can take them from the water if you want to. It is not illegal. Thanks for the heads up Wallhanger.
    Judging by the pics, you are both now 'fish huggers'. Slimy arent they
    My god yes... awful **** mess to say the least. You can tell they are the big brother to the Lady Fish because they **** on you just the same. Oh and you are right, the slime is thick and binds to everything. Not the best smelling animal either. Will that stop me from bear hugging the next one i catch, not likely :)
    Oh wasn't ignoring you Badfish. Forgot to answer the question. The first was caught on a single dropper rig on the bottom. 6oz tear drop weight and an 8/0 circle hook. The second was caught on top water with a free lined pogie. Both rigs were using 6' 100lb flouro leader. The first **** was actually caught on a medium action Star rod with a 3000 series Pen battle. We were actually after Reds when she hit. I used the correct hardware for the second :) (8' Shimano Terramar Ultra heavy and 6000 series Pen Battle, 40lb braid)
  • 1stoutm51stoutm5 Posts: 49 Deckhand
    WOW!! Great catch man, were these fish caught inside the jetties or on the outer ( beach side ) of the rocks? me and my buddy have been seeing trolling fins along the rocks not knowing what kind of fish but now its a no brainer haha
  • meglacharchodonmeglacharchodon Posts: 120 Officer
    nice reds and great **** too bully
  • justin.lachneyjustin.lachney Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Nice catches. Was that on the North or South Jetties?
    Louisiana Cajun :fishing

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."
  • ledslinger29ledslinger29 Posts: 837 Officer
    Nice fish man, thanks for sharing....
    They were caught near the southern rocks outside the river mouth.
  • CaptnathanstuartCaptnathanstuart Posts: 689 Officer
    Huge smiles for huge fish! Sending you a pm now......

quit begging for info go fish, or get lewis to find emm for u as usual.
    I didnt ask him anything you jacka$$
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • pilingjunkypilingjunky Posts: 2,044 Officer
    Awesome! Can't wait to get one this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
  • JW_Ivey01JW_Ivey01 Posts: 154 Officer
    Nice job, congratz on the poons.
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Can't have a forum without at least a little bit of drama lol. Boattronics sent me a pm to give a heads up on the Tarpon out of water thing. Mans just trying to help me out. I have no quarrels with that. Its no secret where the Tarpon are right now. Any inlet, pogie pods, Vilano bridge, Red Tops, and pretty much any major estuary mouth on the down going between Mill Cove and the Mayport Inlet :)

Find the birds diving, you found a good sign that Tarpon are around.
  • BadfishBadfish Posts: 1,069 Officer
    Oh wasn't ignoring you Badfish. Forgot to answer the question. The first was caught on a single dropper rig on the bottom. 6oz tear drop weight and an 8/0 circle hook. The second was caught on top water with a free lined pogie. Both rigs were using 6' 100lb flouro leader. The first **** was actually caught on a medium action Star rod with a 3000 series Pen battle. We were actually after Reds when she hit. I used the correct hardware for the second :) (8' Shimano Terramar Ultra heavy and 6000 series Pen Battle, 40lb braid)

Thanks for sharing, your reports are always detailed and I for one appreciate it. Keep tearing 'em up bro!!
  • UnderslotUnderslot Posts: 370 Officer
    Do some research on taking fish out of the water... legal or not you most likely killed that Tarpon, especially after an hour long fight.
    Oh dear lord... they were fine.
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 255 Deckhand
    Underslot wrote: »
    Do some research on taking fish out of the water... legal or not you most likely killed that Tarpon, especially after an hour long fight.

and what if he did?? BFD, aint nothin but an overgrown shiner, and probably one of the most prolific fish in saltwater. and, even if it did survive, a shark probably got an easy meal(so what,sharks gotta eat!)...anytime anyone posts a pic with any misuse of fish-holding political corectness, the anal proper-fish-holding **** come out of the woodwork and ruin a perfectly good thread...it's no wonder so many good fisherman no longer post on this forum...nuff said!
  • arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Captain

Are you the one who once said that your wife says you sound like an **** all the time??!! I'm not lying, look back at your history below.

Arun.
    My wife says I sound like an **** all the time…
  • ton_e_montanaton_e_montana Posts: 468 Officer
    Awesome report dude!
    Winderbill and Arun, thanks fellas. I probably wont be taking anymore Tarpon completely out of the water. Only did because they were our first Tarpon. Doubt all that many people would be much different in this case.
    Its all good though. They were plenty lively after a short revival. I do appreciate the support and thanks for the kind replies.
  • itsmillertimeitsmillertime Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Just remember to support the belly of that 30" "breeder" trout when droppin him into the grease! Nice catches again bro, hands down the most versatile fisherman I know. Can't wait to get one in the yak!
    arunram wrote: »
    Are you the one who once said that your wife says you sound like an **** all the time??!! I'm not lying, look back at your history below.

Arun.

Thanks Arun, I just spilt my lunch onto my computer!

Anyway, Underslots statement is not very true. These are very hearty fish, and survive countless captures if handled with a tad bit of respect. But dont take my word on it, look into the dna tagging program yourself. These kits are availible at West Marine and many tackle shops. If you do a little research, you will find out that these fish are often caught quite a few times throughout thier life span, and many of these fish live well over 50 years. We have begun sampling these fish, and one my bud Luis caught here was also caught in south florida, and was over 50 years old. (They return info on your fish after you send in the sample) How many times do you think he was caught that he wasnt sampled? This isnt a goliath grouper, and dude said quite a few times it was his first tarpon! Some folks just need to lighten up a bit.

Keep up the great reports please! Some of us dont get to fish much and these reports are almost as good as being there.... for a minute or two anyways.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • CaptnathanstuartCaptnathanstuart Posts: 689 Officer
    how bwig was luis 55 year old fish? had to be well over 2 hundy to ne that old

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file