Sam HSam H Posts: 279 Officer
This might be the easiest contest ever to win a brand new spinning reel from Penn Reels

Fresh off a win at this year’s ICAST, the Penn Spinfisher V was named the best saltwater reel for 2012. Florida Sportsman and Penn Reels want to give away three of these reels this week to Florida Sportsman Forum members. These brand-new spinning reels aren’t even on the market yet!

Members must write three or four sentences about the Reel Time With Florida Sportsman online show. What do you like about it? What makes the show different from others?

Write us your thoughts. The best three answers will be selected as winners. “Cool show, Bro” is not a winning response—something thoughtout is much more likely to win.

If you haven’t watched any of the Reel Time shows, you’re missing out. But it’s easy to get caught up! Just go to and watch through the episodes. Come back to this thread and post your thoughts.

The three winners will be selected on Friday, July 20. Florida Sportsman will send members personal messages over the forum asking for mailing addresses. The reels will be shipped directly from Penn Reels.

So get started! Tell us what you like about Reel Time With Florida Sportsman. Make sure your response is in this thread.

• Options
    I am a kid who loves to fish my local waters and have been doing so for about two years now. I have become completely addicted to fishing and am always looking for easy and simple methods to catch more fish and improve my knowledge of local waters. Reel Time With Florida sportsman hits that perfect balance of being lively, entertaining, and comical while also managing to be extremely informative and helpful that many other fishing shows seem to miss. Reel Time With Florida Sportsman gets right down to YOUR local waters and gives vital pro tips to be ultimately successful in every fishing situation. While also thanks to the lively and entertaining host, George Gozdz, the show is able to be light, concise, and in many situation very whimsical to keep viewers hooked!
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 278 Deckhand
    I get to be the second to take a whack at talking about the great new online series, Reel Time from Florida Sportsman. It is really hard to really give a sense of what this show is all about in one short post but I'll try to sum it up. This super online series allows all anglers to learn what hot bite is going on around the state and it even gives the humble angler/Florida sportsman forum member to get a chance to be featured on the show all by posting a good fishing report. I love the idea of this show and I look forward to every episode so I can learn some new techniques. One day I hope one of my reports can be featured on the show. I also can't forget to mention the host, he is almost god like when it comes to catching fish, (sorry bad pun :) ), George Gozdz is a local guide from Florida and if anyone knows what hot bites are going on around the state it's him.
  • tattoorob1127tattoorob1127 Posts: 41 Deckhand
    I enjoy the RTFS series because it spotlights forum members, and displays those member's knowledge of their local fisheries. Captain Gozdz's enthusiasm, knowledge, and love of our sport is clear in every episode and I like learning about different techniques and gear. Reel Time is my favorite fishing show, and the fun they have in the production of these shows is evident in the finished product. Keep up the great work, I look forward to watching many webisodes in the future!!
  • littlebrownpeachlittlebrownpeach Posts: 39 Deckhand
    As a South Georgia angler I like to take quick trips to the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic waters. What I love most about Reel Time is the insider information that is often discussed like bait and tackle shops, boat ramps, where to catch bait, etc....Reel Time with Florida Sportsman also features Florida Sportsman members who are on the bite and posting pics of their success. They also give great tips on lure selection, presentation, and gear selection. The show is also featured on the website that lets me catch up on old episodes. I'm still new to the saltwater angling world but every weekend I get a little more practice and hopefully soon I'll be posting pics of my own and be featured on Reel Time. Keep up the great work Captain Gozdz and the production team!
  • flatsbroke22flatsbroke22 Posts: 399 Deckhand
    Well first of all I have watched each and every episode so far! I could not think of a better way to see all of the different areas of the Florida coast without fishing them in person. Real Time shows how a real day of fishing turns out. By this I mean you allways set out to target a specific species in a scecific area. But as we have seen in several episodes (due to weather,tides,etc.) you have had to change things up on a spur of the moment to get the job done. This is what most of us encounter on a normal day on the water. Unlike watching a fishing show on tv where everything is edited out. I love how you mix things up with a lot of different techniques and presentations. I personally have learned a lot from the show. Where else could anyone have the chance to have there own fishing show for the day than Florida Sportsman. Very cool!
    2002 Pathfinder 2200v 200 Vmax HPDI
    2006 Hobie Outfitter Tandem
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,673 Captain
    What I like about RTFS is it hits close to home. It is great to watch regular guys like myself fishing in their own backyard and having a great time. The variety is awesome, and shows all Florida has to offer. It is great to see the different local techniques and nuances used in different regions of the state. I believe it is a one time event for each show. Therefore, we arent watching some highlight reel of all the good fish landed. We get to see what we as fishermasn actually experience on a daily basis; from gasing up/ getting ice and drinks to catching bait to traveling from spot to spot in search of the hot bite. Since moving to Ga several months ago, I can never wait for the next episode to live and fish vicariously through RTFS!
  • jumboshrimpjumboshrimp Posts: 820 Officer
    RTFS is the most unique fishing show there is, period. Florida Sportsman Forum is an incredible community of anglers from around the state, we all connect with each other and share stories and pictures providing our peers with a wealth of information for every fishable corner Florida possesses. RTFS takes what has always been the cornerstone of this community (the fishing reports) and blows it up onto a professional high quality fishing show with an awesome host. Rather than just featuring the host George Gozdz fishing carelessly around the state though, the show takes it one step further by featuring the actual forum members who are writing the reports. Giving us all an opportunity to be on our own fishing show, which is undoubtedly a dream we have all had at some point.
  • PENNPENN Posts: 366 Officer
    Good luck everyone. We figured many of you would have questions about the specs on the new Spinfisher V so listed below is information from another thread on Florida Sportsman.

The PENN Spinfisher V. It's the fifth generation of Spinfisher which was introduced in 1963. So for the 50th anniversary we are making several key upgreades to the Spinfisher.

Watch the video to learn more about the upgrades.

A total of 6 seals (9 seals on the live liner models) are used to create the new Water Tight Design used in the Spinfisher V. Whether you dunk the reel in the surf, or let it ride in the spray all the way home, you don’t have to worry about saltwater getting into the gearbox or drag system.

A truly sealed drag system with a total of 3 HT-100 drag washers (1 on the top of the spool, 2 underneath the spool). All HT-100 washers are greased for smoothness and longevity. Extreme range, endless adjustment, and a large diameter drag knob so you can easily crank down to max drag.

A full metal body and sideplate keep precise gear alignment under heavy loads.

Eliminates the question of how much line you have left when fighting a fish. The three lines on the spool flange let you know when you have 1/3rd, 2/3rd or a full spool of line. Also if you respool often these lines five you a benchmark for backing your superlines with monofilament which will help eliminate wasted time and line.

Live Liner® Drag – Are you a serious live bait fisherman? The Live Liner drag was built for fishing live bait. Simply pull the switch back and the front drag disengages and runs off the Live Liner drag. The Live Liner drag is a much lighter drag that lets your live bait swim free. When you get bit, simply start cranking the handle and the Live Liner drag disengages, the front drag engages, and your tight on your fish.

No backing needed because the rubber gasket keeps superline from slipping.

SSV3500/4500 - $139.95
    SSV4500LL/5500/6500 - $159.95
    SSV6500LL/7500/8500 - $179.95
    SSV8500LL/9500/10500 - $199.95
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Reel time with Florida sportsman is the most epic fishing show I have seen yet, and the most recent episode on the mosquito lagoon was definitely one of my favorites because I have fished that area for quite a while. One of the best things I like about the show is unlike other fishing shows, it actually focuses on fishing and isn't filled with advertisementsand and it is completely free to watch. Some shows I have seen have had more than half the show spent on trying to sell you a product, but RTFS is different. This show has taught me a lot of great info about fishing different areas, and one of the episodes actually inspired me to try shark fishing for the first time. The host George Gozdz is entertaining and knows how to keep a viewer interested. Thank you, and keep the great shows coming!!
  • dwyermwdwyermw Posts: 333 Deckhand
    Without question, what I like about Reel Time is that the host is fishing with someone like ME. An avid angler who participates on the fourm and often feels like the fish are prettty safe when he (or her) out there! In other words, it's people like me that fish when they can on local waters no matter what the conditions! Add in the "evening before" local watering hole with a few adult beverages coupled with the anticipated strategy and you have all the makings for positive expectations the next morning. The early morning visits to the AM/PM mini mart, the struggles to find bait, unexpected weather outcomes all are part of "fishing when you can" - enhancing the authenticity of real world experiences. Clearly, the show depicts "real" scenarios and not some enhanced dream spot filmed under perfect conditions. The camera shots are are complete - from cast to hook-up without a sense of edited action. Reel Time takes the effort to show me "the details" of what is being fished and why and it leaves me with a sense that "I can do it too".
    Maybe if I win a new Penn reel, the fish won't be quite as safe as they think they are when I am out there!
    2009 Skeeter ZX2250 current
    2007 Sea Hunt 220 Triton (sold)
    Skeeter ZX24V, 300 HP Yamaha (sold)
    1890 SE Action Craft, 175 HP Evinrude Ficht (sold)
    Hewes Tailfisher (sold)
    Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5
  • shallow water assassinshallow water assassin Posts: 389 Officer
    What makes reel time such a great show is that it motivates anglers to share good information via the forum on how and where to catch fish in Florida. This motivation is driven by a chance to win fishing gear and be featured on the next episode of Reel time with Capt. George Gozdz. So hands down Reel time is the best show out for Florida anglers both fresh and salt water to learn tips on techniques specific to our beautiful state. Plus its based online so you can stay up to date with new shows no matter where or what time you you get a chance.
  • VeroDDVeroDD Posts: 294 Deckhand
    For me, the show is all about Capt. George Gozdz. His self depreciating humor makes every episode worth watching. There are many fishing shows online and on the air that depict people catching fish. Capt. George Gozdz makes this show fun!
  • HookedfingerHookedfinger Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Reel Time with Florida Sportsman is truly unique and it is really blazing a new trail when it comes to fishing shows. I really like the concept of scoping the Florida Regions Fishing Reports for the hottest fishing action across the state and then contacting a fellow forum member to guide Capt. George for the day as they catch fish using the local knowledge of the forum member. What is very apparent to me is that the Florida Sportsman Forums are blessed with a lot of knowledgeable anglers and I truly enjoy learning about their tactics on catching fish in their region. It is definitely inspiring me to become a better angler so I can share more of my reports in the Florida Sportsman Forum and hopefully one day I can be a guide for Capt. George!
  • nitroskiffnitroskiff Posts: 1,617 Captain
    I have seen most of the Reel Time shows. I enjoy them a lot. Its a neat way for Florida Sportsman Magazine to give local fishermen a chance to be on tv and to show off there skills. I dont watch a bunch of fishing shows, but I do not remember one that takes local people off a forum and give them a chance to be on tv. As far as I know, its very unique.

The personality of the host, Capt George is perfect for the show. Some episodes you can see him getting discouraged, especially in the NE Florida episode with Tony(Boattronics).

Over all, I have enjoyed watching these and will continue to watch them as long as Florida Sportsman Magazine continues to do them. I hope you keep doing this series for a loooong time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Nitro Performance Bass Boats
  • snookslayer09snookslayer09 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Let me start by saying that I watch all of the mediocre fishing shows on T.V and Reel Time With Florida Sportsman with the Triton blows them all of them out of the water. It is 12 - 15 mins of action packed fishing excitement. The best part of the already awesome show is knowing that it is your local waters with your fellow forum members. And unlike any other fishing show you don't have to be a famous guide to be a co-host just a normal guy with good posts HAHA. I am a 15 year old kid and when I joined floridasportsman and watched the first episode of RTFS I was even more hooked on fishing. Ill end it by saying every time I Log on and see a new episode I jump to watch it and nobody else can bother me. The Spinfisher V would be an awesome member of my serious lacking fishing arsenal. Great show cant wait for the next one!! Thanks!!
  • cambosoup99cambosoup99 Posts: 282 Officer
  • Stalker1211Stalker1211 Posts: 149 Officer
    It's funny when you think about it; we love fishing so much that when we aren't out there catching fish, we enjoy watching others succeed! Having been blessed to fish in so many different parts of this Beautiful state, the thing I love most about RTFS is that it's so much more than just "catching fish". Now we get the opportunity to watch and learn the different regional perspectives of how other anglers target, AND catch, our favorite sportfish. Think about it: we all have our own way of fishing for Tarpon, Redfish, Trout and Snook near our own stomping grounds, but it's so much more rewarding when we broaden our horizons and apply techniques that we learned from one Coast of Florida to the other. I'll never forget watching the Ft. Pierce Redfish episode and thinking, "Hey, I gotta try that in Blind Pass over near Sanibel", or even watching the Miami Tarpon special and saying "Can't wait to try fishing the bridges at night up in Jacksonville during their Shrimp Run!" Although we reign from different regions, our oceans are interconnected and that the same fish, just at different times and in different scenarios. Capt. George, thank you for giving us not only a very entertaining and educational fishing show, but helping us feel unified as anglers around the state!
  • ColeJennetteColeJennette Posts: 33 Deckhand
    I've definitely been Reel Time. It's real guys, in real time, on our waters. The idea that it's based, not on professional guides fishing heavily scouted waters, but real local guys fishing their own, local waters just makes it more motivating. It makes me wanna get out there every time I watch an episode. Especially the one y'all did right here in my back yard in Fort Myers. Keep up the good work.
  • nymetsfan8131nymetsfan8131 Posts: 96 Deckhand
    Outside of the tips and beautiful locations visited on Reel time, what i think is best about the show is that it shows real forum members, their spots and how they approach fishing in their respective areas. I am relatively new to the forum and at first was intimidated to post my reports or connect with other members. After seeing Reel Time it put that reserve aside and opened my eyes, these are real everyday guys who have a common hobby, Fishing. Reel Time shows that you don't need to be a professional with all the expensive gear and guides to be successful. Since watching the show i have posted questions, gotten help from other members and caught more fish. Thanks to the show i also intend on hooking up with other members to share spots and tips. That's why i love the show. Thanks Reel Time and thanks Capt. Gozdz!

Sorry for the longer post...couldn't help myself.
  • supersamussupersamus Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    First off, BIG fan of the show Reel Time. What I love about Reel Time is the fun and excitement I get from watching every episode. This show has brought my fishing game to the next level with its abundant information about fishing. Capt. George really shows his love for fishing. He always tries to show so many different techniques and skills on how to get that fish from the water onto your boat. Keep up the good work, can't wait for the next episode.
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,780 Moderator
    FS Sam wrote: »
    Members must write three or four sentences about the Reel Time With Florida Sportsman online show. What do you like about it? What makes the show different from others?

1) George is funny and entertaining to watch; just enough knowledge and comedy to make it a good fishing show.
    2) Reeltime is realtime, I'm not left wondering when the show was taped or if I could hop in the boat and do what I just saw on the show.
    3) Straight and to the point, little to no marketing pitches; I don't have to hear about a product 8 times during a 30 minute show.
    4) Single engine rig on a smaller boat (not your typical fishing show sled), and still catching fish (whether it's night time swording or bass fishing).

Keeping busy while away from Florida
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,927 Officer
    Hey capt. I'm
    Just a 14 old who
    Loves to fish and has the same passion has you do, that is why I
    Love this sport! Everyone can share there experiences of when they get that little nibble then BOOM fish on! Your show Is simply
    Amazing because your hiring guys who aren't getting paid to
    Make a few cast but simply want to help
    Others. It's great that you give people this opportunity. Also one of my favorite things of the show
    Is the great music and when you give those members there free gear to
    See the
    Smile on their face. You should head over to Sarasota! Or
    Just send the rod ;) thanks for the time
    Of making
    This great show.

Tight lines, fishingkid315
  • HopittyhopHopittyhop Posts: 302 Officer
    Reel Time With Florida Sportsman is an amazing show and what makes it different from other shows is I am able to view it anytime I want to since it is available exclusively online. The show also me know some tips without constantly trying to advertise fishing gear. I absolutely love the show because Captain George Gozdz is a down to Earth guy and he bring in anglers from the forum. I don't think there is any show out there that gets regular guys like us who just like to fish for recreation on the air. The only one and only complaint I can make is there just isn't enough.
  • ATC1ATC1 Posts: 113 Officer
    That was an awesome show about the mixed bag patch reef fishing. I am new to the keys and am returning in a couple of days from Jacksonville to the upper keys. I really want to put my kids on some fish so if the weather "blows" we are going to the patch reefs. A lot of great tips and amazing fish cought in shallow water. I reall can't wait to try it and I know my kids will love it! You got me stoked for my trip this Thursday. Thanks very much, really enjoyed it.

24' Robalo
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    What can i say about reel time with florida sportsman? Well they actually fish on the show unlike other shows where they are just sitting around a table. Also they seem like they are just the average angler not the kind like "hey im on tv im better then you" they also take the average angler out on the boat with them or to the local beach and trying their style of fishing. Only improvement I could think of on the show is if they would take some kids fishing. Their are a few members on here that I would love to see on that show with them. You guys do not fill a hour show with 59 minutes of commercials and cooking. If I want commercials I will watch paid programing if I want cooking I will watch food network. All in all your show is the best fishing show i have ever seen and will continue to watch it every chance i get.
  • bonitabobbonitabob Posts: 675 Officer
    The problem with most fishing shows is that they are out of touch with the average angler. Reel Time with Florida Sportsman has found a way to solve that problem by featuring everyday anglers fishing in their home waters. Unlike other shows, Reel Time is the "Reel" deal.
  • Knotty DreadKnotty Dread Posts: 114 Deckhand
    It’s that feeling you get when you hear that intro tune. You know that one drop of adrenaline as you’re about to hit the boat ramp in the early morning and you are excited about what the day has in store for you. That is the feeling you get when you hit play on the latest episode of Reel Time with Florida Sportsman. Not to mention, you never get skunked on Reel Time!
  • BuckeyeBuckeye Posts: 4,978 Captain
    Just recently moving to the south east area from Ohio I depend on RTWFS to help me adjust as smoothly as possible. Having a place that provides me with all of the basics such as species identification to bait and tackle shops and more advanced techniques is very valuable. When you combine the advice and information given with the "regular guy" feel of the program you have a combination that is tough to beat.

Regardless of the contest, I want to express my thanks to RTWFS for helping me make the transition smoothly.

I have never eaten a booger in my entire life. -Jim Harbaugh
  • tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer
    Nothing compares to Reel Time when it comes to useful content and replicating the actual Florida fishing experience. In it's first season, I've had already had couple of "forum brothers", which I know personally, guest host with Capt. Gozdz. It's great knowing there's a fishing show that isn't full of canned content and filler material- Reel Time is real fishing.
    Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!
  • FloridaFlatsMasterFloridaFlatsMaster Posts: 102 Officer
    The thing that makes RTFS so different is capt.George. He is always so energetic and makes the show fun to watch. what i also like about the show is that they fish with people from the forum, and i think that's really cool. also i like all the tips and pointers they tell you. some fishing shows it seems like they never want you to know what lure their using ETC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file