doa deadly combo

Do these things actually work? A soft plastic under a cork? Do they actually consistently catch trout and redfish as claimed?

• TipboneTipbone Posts: 190 Officer
    Yes, I found it hard to believe myself, but after catching several trout on them, I am a sold on them. I really killed them in the keys with it.
  • Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 656 Officer
    Been using them for years. Great for Trout fishing, especially with the kids. Cajun Thunder corks make most noise, but knock-off's are OK, just don't cast as far or "clack" as loud. DOA's and several knock off "shrimp" work as well, with light pink w/ sparkles working best in every situation for me, followed by gold flake, then root beer.
    No brainer for taking kids out fishing, just make sure they "reel" hard to set hook due to slack from popping cork.
  • Options
    what are the knock offs? I never saw them. And what are the cajun thunder corks? Are they the elongated corks vs. the oval ones? And if I just wanted to start with one, which color should i get? gold with sparkles to start off? Sorry for the newb questions.
  • BobDBobD Posts: 1,969 Officer
    I've had good luck on trout with the DOAs. The deadly combo is a clacking cork and a DOA shrimp. Use it right out of the package. I use a regular popping cork with a DOA shrimp, white or root beer. Easy to use and effective.
    Build your dream or someone will hire you to build theirs.
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,913 Officer
    cajun thunder is just a brand of popping cork. quality.
    i just buy cheap popping corks, and rig my own set up with the desired leader length and shrimp. they work well. i prefer the oval corks, they sit better in the water for me.

id say for the shrimp jeevy, a gold glitter is a good way to go.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    I've always had luck with the original pattern DOA, I buy the "equalizer" brand popping corks because they are cheaper in a package of 2 than the cajun thunder at BPS
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>

2013 Hobie Outback
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,673 Captain
    The trout those things catch will eat just about anything. i would much prefer just using a jighead and a plastic, cover more water and catch more big fish and more species.
  • Options
    so it sounds like its primarily for small trout? As for the jig head and the plastic, i have never been able to consistently hook fish with that, i may get pleanty of bites, but not many actual hook ups. And is it just better to build your own rigs than buy the pre-rigged deadly combo?
  • ChobeeboysChobeeboys Posts: 417 Officer
    I have caught tons of trout on a doa deadly combo, I know everyone has there preference but I have had really good luck and always keep one rigged at the ready on my yak at all times. Those trout usually for me range from 15-24 or so.
    Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
    Ned Dolan
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Posts: 1,009 Officer
    The DOA Deadly Combo has been a day saver for me many, many times.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    Ankona Boats Sales Rep
    2018 Tavernier 17.....Coming Soon!!
  • Options
    if a fish like trout destroys the pre-rigged can you put on say a gulp? And what i kind of hook does it use? Finally how and where to use it?
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,237 Officer
    Use any shrimp, DOA, Gulp or whatever you have under the corks. Not just for small trout! Redfish, snook, flounder, black drum and bigger trout will whack them too.
  • golflaxfishgolflaxfish Posts: 455 Deckhand
    jeevy wrote: »
    And what i kind of hook does it use? Finally how and where to use it?

cast... pop... take up slack... repeat... that's it

and the DOA shrimp uses a j-hook, I think in the 1/0 range.
    1970 23 Seabird
  • RobpelotRobpelot Posts: 610 Officer
    They are not for only small trout. They will catch any trout in the area. I have caught trout in the mid 20s with them. I use the brownish gold DOA shrimp with the glow tail almost all the time. I take out the hooks that they come with and put in a nice Gamakatsu hook one size bigger (2/0 I think). I get more solid hook ups with them that way. I never buy the kit because you need to adjust the depth of the shrimp to keep it just above the grass.
    Like every one said. Jig it a few times and pause. They hit it on the pause. I pretty much only catch trout, but I have caught Reds.
  • Options
    what depth should it be at, and what depth is it at out of the package?
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,366 Admiral
    yes its cheaper to make your own with a cajun thunder and the spare parts kit of doa shrimp , #20 or #25 leader..I think the ones that comes packaged are 30"-36" not real sure ,tie them to what ever you want ,keep the shrimp just off the bottom..its not rocket science ,hence the nickname "tourist rig"..and yes , a 1/8oz jig head with a gulp shrimp will work as a substitute for doa shrimp use a loop knot..its not just a small trout rig.
  • barrynflabarrynfla Posts: 592 Officer
    To y'all who use the deadly combo.......have you tried it with Pro-Cure on the shrimp? Any difference?
  • TipboneTipbone Posts: 190 Officer
    This was the average size trout we were catching them on using the gold glitter and clear with red fleck DOA shrimps. we also use Gulp shrimps on them (natural and new penny), which also produced some nice Mangrove Snapper You can see the lady behind me using the same rig. Easy as can be and effective.
  • Charlie2Charlie2 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I commercial fished for Speckled Trout many moons ago and even then we used a popping cork with a Stingray Grub under it.

You don't have to 'pop' it; just pull it under to make a 'gurgle which sounds like a big old trout sucking in a bait. C2
  • shambonershamboner Posts: 68 Deckhand
    I just bought the deadly combo from BPS on sale for $2! Can't beat that. Haven't got to use it yet. A buddy of mine swears by them from his yak and wading.
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    **** for 2 bucks i would have got a few of them
  • ScullerSculler Posts: 115 Officer
    I want them for $2 :(
  • ScullerSculler Posts: 115 Officer
    charlie2 what do you mean by pull it under? And gold glitter seems to work best
  • cheeseman3030cheeseman3030 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    jeevy wrote: »
    Do these things actually work? A soft plastic under a cork? Do they actually consistently catch trout and redfish as claimed?

The best is Gulp under a Cajun Cracker or live pin fish
  • shambonershamboner Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Yea i picked up 4 lol i just had very good luck on it the last two days. Wendsday i caught a hit a slam on it and Friday pulled in over 20 trout and a snook. I'm using a glow in the dark doa.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file