West End Report 7/6-7/8

We had a great time fishing out of Blue Marlin Cove this past weekend. It was our first trip over there so a big thank you to the forum members who gave me some great advice on planning for and fishing that area. We were focused on snappers, groupers and hogfish and worked hard to find them. Most of the muttons and strawberries and about half the hogs were caught very close to BMC. The tails and the rest of the hogs were caught a few mile North of Memory. Marvin at BMC was a great help and put in the general vicinity of the fish.

Replies

• gtrfred27gtrfred27 Posts: 63 Deckhand
    great haul there.

OT - is that the world's largest boat lift at your neighbors house? what the heck is it designed to lift? it is enormous.
  • skinneejskinneej Posts: 358 Officer
    Nice catch. We saw you guys out there. I was in the blue catamaran. Were you guys spearing the hogs or catching them on rod and reel? Also, what did you catch the muttons on?
    skinnej.jpg
  • Go Catch'nGo Catch'n Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Great trip! Happy you guys had a good time.
    Why go fishing when you can Go Catch'n?

-Edward
    Also, what are the silver fish? I see at least two different species there. Is that grey snapper? I shot one with a sling, but wasn't quite sure of what it was when I got it to the surface.
    skinnej.jpg
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,779 Moderator
    Nice haul! Lots of good meat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • Blue DevilBlue Devil Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Gtrfred 27 - Yes, that might be the world's largest lift. It is for the 33 fountain you can see in the background. The lift is huge, but my neighbors designed and built it themselves, so that is pretty impressive.

Skinneej - We speared all of the hogs, all in 20' or less of water. Most we found in the rocky areas in about 15' between BMC and OBB. Same thing in the area North of Memory. Just looking for good bottom and jumping in. Most of the muttons we got in about 80' on the drop off in front of BMC. The biggest were caught on flatlined sardines. Some were caught on squid, sardines or cuda chunks on the bottom. How did you guys do?
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,691 Admin
    Blue Devil wrote: »
    Gtrfred 27 - Yes, that might be the world's largest lift. It is for the 33 fountain you can see in the background. The lift is huge, but my neighbors designed and built it themselves, so that is pretty impressive.

Skinneej - We speared all of the hogs, all in 20' or less of water. Most we found in the rocky areas in about 15' between BMC and OBB. Same thing in the area North of Memory. Just looking for good bottom and jumping in. Most of the muttons we got in about 80' on the drop off in front of BMC. The biggest were caught on flatlined sardines. Some were caught on squid, sardines or cuda chunks on the bottom. How did you guys do?

Nice catching, thanks for sharing. I'll be headed over next week. I hoped to do as well. :)
  • Toothy ThangToothy Thang Posts: 1,411 Officer
    skinneej wrote: »
    Also, what are the silver fish? I see at least two different species there.

they faded to silver/silverish, and are called black snapper, decent to eat, but have a large bloodline. You can find them pretty easily out front of BMC.

oh BTW, nice catch fellas... :thumbsup
  • Blue DevilBlue Devil Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    The big silver fish are silver margates. I am told they are very good to eat. We shot a couple of them and caught a couple of them.
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,257 Officer
    Man that is VERY impressive for your first trip to the region!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    emoney991@outlook.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • footanklegfootankleg Posts: 505 Officer
    Nice trip. Impressive catch especially staying that close to "home".
    Cobia 296 F300s J & B
    Hewes 18' RF Y130 Flatfoot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 940 Officer
    FS Blair wrote: »
    Nice catching, thanks for sharing. I'll be headed over next week. I hoped to do as well. :)

If you hope to repeat this report, check this thread before you head over, it may come in handy.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?7907-Bahamas-Fishing-Regulations-Limits-MUST-READ
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Lazy Bones wrote: »
    If you hope to repeat this report, check this thread before you head over, it may come in handy.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?7907-Bahamas-Fishing-Regulations-Limits-MUST-READ
    I have to agree..This is just ammo for searches..I didn't want to be the one to point it out ,but maybe the OP should crop this photo..

Nice work just be careful guys...
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
    somebody had to say it eventually, right.

and they're Black Margates or "black snappers" btw... or just a big grunt.
  • VenturesomeVenturesome Posts: 1,743 Officer
    congrats........wow
    2392.jpg
    Some of you guys might want to check the NEW LIMITS in place before trying to call someone out... The crusing permits issued this weekend says that you are allowed 20lbs of scalefish PER PERSON... That means that Blue Devil was allowed 100lbs of fish with 5 people. I would think that he is easily within his limits.
    skinnej.jpg
    Blue Devil wrote: »

Thanks for the intel. We didn't do as well as you guys, but we did pretty well. We went up on the flats to the north and spent some time searching. The freediving\hawaiin sling\pole spear was brand new to us. My max depth is only about 25' or so and I missed several fish before finally hitting one with the sling. We released a lot of yellowtails, but we kept 20 fish. I was cleaning them by myself and typically don't like to freeze them so we kept 2 hogs, 1 of the silver ones, a nassau, schoolmaster and a bunch of yellowtail snappers. Also I caught two pretty nice horse-eye jacks on rod and reel which bent a rod pretty good. My wife got a 8-9# hog on polespear and she was pretty stoked. Still waiting on my friend to send me the pictures of our trip.
    skinnej.jpg
    Some of you guys might want to check the NEW LIMITS in place before trying to call someone out... The crusing permits issued this weekend says that you are allowed 20lbs of scalefish PER PERSON... That means that Blue Devil was allowed 100lbs of fish with 5 people. I would think that he is easily within his limits.
    Just read the back of my permit and **** if it doesn't say that! That is very NEW and is a lot more reasonable and clearer than the old 20 snapper or 60lb rule. I don't think anyone was being mean about it or hating.
    mousey.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
    GT Fish, no worries. Personally, I would like to be corrected by others on this forum instead of by a Bahamian police officer. Honestly, I didn't even see it until I got back to the USA. Also, neither Bahamas.com or FWC website reflects the above text, so part of me wonders if this is too good to be true (like a misprint or he grabbed an old book of permits or something).
    skinnej.jpg
  • CatalystCatalyst Posts: 191 Deckhand
    The FWC bulletin addresses fish brought back from the Bahamas and it seems like they only allow for the 20 fish boat limit not per person limits.
    You guys definitely did well on those hogs for that area without going deep.
    We always eat plenty of fish there and clean and bag everything before we leave.
    Fish look a lot smaller in ziplocs than fish on a dock. :)

In the future take pics of each day's catch and talk about how much fish you ate while you were there. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Catalyst wrote: »
    The FWC bulletin addresses fish brought back from the Bahamas and it seems like they only allow for the 20 fish boat limit not per person limits.
    I don't think that is accurate. From what I read on FWC website, Bahamian limits do not apply in the US EEZ. They were pretty clear that once you enter US waters, you must adhere to US federal and local limits. The only exceptions that I saw was that you could have cleaned fish on board as long as you had a Bahamian cruise permit on board and did not stop to fish in US waters on the way back. Also, you could possess lobsters taken legally by spear as long as they were kept in whole condition.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/bahamas/

" You cannot transport or possess any snapper/grouper species while in or on the waters of the EEZ in violation of Federal regulations. This includes closures, seasons and bag limits. In summary, the number of fillets must not exceed whole fish bag limits for the EEZ. You may not possess any fish under a closure or any prohibited species, regardless of condition, whole or filleted, even if legal in Bahamian waters."
    skinnej.jpg
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 940 Officer

IF that is the case, I stand corrected. No problem admitting when I am wrong. Next time wont be the first time. I would also be pretty psyched about 20#/person of bottom fish.
    GT Fish, no worries. Personally, I would like to be corrected by others on this forum instead of by a Bahamian police officer. Honestly, I didn't even see it until I got back to the USA. Also, neither Bahamas.com or FWC website reflects the above text, so part of me wonders if this is too good to be true (like a misprint or he grabbed an old book of permits or something).

LOL, that would not be the first time that the permits/website/individual customs officers were not in agreement with each other. Seems like you would have a pretty good argument if that is what is printed on the actual permit. Those sound similar to some older export limits, which in typical Bahamian fashion, were actually different than possession limits. It would be surprising if they relaxed the possession limits on lobster and conch.
    photo-7.jpg?t=1341975336
    mousey.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
    Lazy Bones wrote: »
    It would be surprising if they relaxed the possession limits on lobster and conch.
    Agreed. This is my first year living in Florida and I am learning the ropes myself. Heck, I can definitely see how confusing it is for most.

In all honesty, I don't even know the point of retaining that much conch (unless you consume all of it in the Bahamas). From what I could tell in the FWC rules, you can't bring Conch back into Florida waters by boat anyway as they are protected here. It looks like the only way you can legally do it is to obtain CITES documents and have them shipped (air) back to Florida.
    skinnej.jpg
  • robalorogrobalorog Posts: 495 Officer
    Nice catch. Love the markings on some of those hogs. I was fishing in the keys this past weekend and couldn't resist to jump in the water for a few minutes and was suprised not to see 1 hog but did see 4 spanish hogs.
  • VenturesomeVenturesome Posts: 1,743 Officer
    my bad. dang, didn't see the new numbers either. please accept apology. great catch and I agree, local rules don't apply if you can produce a cruising and fishing permit if you get stopped. great informative thread.
    2392.jpg
  • TrophyRoomAppTrophyRoomApp Posts: 172 Officer
    Great Job Guys
    Do You Hunt Or Fish & Own An iPhone? http://www.TrophyRoomApp.com
    20lbs of scalefish, 10 conch and 6 crawfish per person is a nice improvement and certainly makes more crossings worthwhile.. :hail
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 524 Officer
    When did the rules change?

Fireman Bill
  • No CompetitionNo Competition Posts: 413 Officer
    Awesome guys! Lots of good eats WTG!
    2007 31' Competition
    Yamaha 300HP 4-Stroke 4.2 liters
    Garmin and Furuno Electroincs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights