Bunch-o-hogs, July 7/8 2012

Earlier this year I promised my 14 year old son Alec that if he kept his grades up I would sign him up for a scuba certification camp. Well, he held up his end of the bargain so off to a two week camp he went. It was a ten day camp from 8:30 to 4:30 everyday for kids from ages 10 to 17. Alec got the highest exam scores in his class and is now the proud holder of a C-card. This weekend he got to make his first spearfishing dives with scuba. We went out Saturday and Sunday with one of my neighbors Rick, who is also my dive buddy. Saturday we hit two rock piles in 40' and 30'. We got 14 nice hogs to 19", a red grouper and a couple of sheepshead. Sunday we hit 2 reefs in 45' got 7 more hogfish, a nice gag, another red grouper, a mango and a couple more sheepshead. My son out-speared us old guys on most drops leaving us grumbling something about "beginners luck". Alec has been wanting to spearfish with scuba since he was 8 years old and this weekend his dream came true. It was a milestone for a father and son spending a weekend together on and under the water.

Happy boy coming up from our first drop on Sunday.

alecdive.jpg

Cooler shot from Saturday, we forgot to load the the camera on the boat. We stopped on the way in and speared a few scallops too.

coolerhogs.jpg

A few of the fish from Sunday's trip.

grouperhogs.jpg

Replies

• SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,330 Officer
    nice job Alec
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Great pics Butch. Looked like a super fun trip.
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Congrats Alec! Looks like another spearfisher in the household Butch. Nice fish.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Way to go fellows! That's pretty cool right there.
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • HighPlainsDrifterHighPlainsDrifter Posts: 270 Officer
    Right on man!:thumbsup
    "I live in a free country. I've got all the licenses, registrations, and permits to prove it!" :huh
  • Kapn SkinnyKapn Skinny Posts: 1,008 Officer
    Man how awesome! Me and the wife are completing our dive class this weekend and have a week long trip plan to Hernando Beach at the end of the month, and wait. Hope we find them like you guys. Nice shooting
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Officer
    Those hogfish are some great eating....... congrats to your son, he (and you) are in for some great times together.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Posts: 1,690 Captain
    When they say> "It doesn't get any better!" They are talkin bout You and your Son Butch!!! Way to go!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,049 Moderator
    :thumbsup Piggy fish
    I use to would rather spear one than catch 5.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • MikeRMikeR Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Awesome! That was what my son wanted for his 14th birthday. It didn't work out though.... Turns out diving with athsma is not a good idea.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,510 Captain
    Congrats on the first of many dive trips....With a dad like Butch, your son just don't know how good he has it....I'still like to shoot them hogs, just don't get much time any more...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Not looking for numbers, but what general area are y'all getting hogs and scallops? Big Bend?
  • Speckle TroutSpeckle Trout Posts: 57 Deckhand
    That's awsome. I hope that my sons will want to dive with me when they get that age.
    Keep the drags smoking!
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,035 Officer
    That's to sweet, good job Alec, and way to be a great dad Butch!
  • MikeRMikeR Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Not looking for numbers, but what general area are y'all getting hogs and scallops? Big Bend?

I'm pretty sure they are talking about way different depths but I generally get hogs starting in around 20-25' out of Hommossassa/Bayport area. Scallops in the same area around 6-8 feet.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,768 Captain
    Way to go dad and Alex. That's the next generation of fisherman, and boy do we need them!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 377 Deckhand

I'll give you a start. These are the coordinates for a hard bottom/rocky spot that West Marine was giving away with hand held GPS units several years ago. N28 39.375 W83 05.135 These are west from Homosassa. I have picked up a few hog fish there but there are probably 20 or more rock piles within a mile of this spot that hold fish. We generally hunt hogfish in 30' to 45'. Start with this spot then just cruise and watch your bottom machine. You don't need to see much relief, 1' to 2' foot is normal, 3' to 4' ridges and ledges are less frequent but hold bigger fish. We generally find the bigger hogs in the sea fans around the periphery of a rock pile. Take a mesh bag of dry cat food and mush it up and shake on the bottom than just sit still for a while and watch, you'll be surprised to see what shows up. If I know grouper are around sometimes I take my free shaft and pin a grunt to the bottom and let him wiggle, pretty soon Mr. Grouper can't stand it and will show himself. Sunday I had an 18" red grouper that brazenly kept biting and yanking at the hog fish I was trying to get off my spear. Have fun, good luck!
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Thanks.
  • reeladjustmentreeladjustment Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Way to go on the c-card! Great haul for the new diver! I'm sure it'll be the first of many ! It is a real joy to dive as a family! Our boys got their cards in January.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice Hogs Butch :beer:applause:beer
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,401 Officer
    Very cool Butch. You guys will have many many more adventures together diving. I'm majorily looking forward to when my children (13 & 11) get certified. The adventures will only get better. Great post!
    BRian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file