quick yellowfin trip, july 3/4

We weren't going to go this july, but with the nice weather window and solid reports, chris twisted my pinkie finger after a bottle of wine sunday afternoon and "made" me go. we went late monday, had a room and slip set up at Sunrise Marina ( by the way, excellent place !!! ) and got settle by 4pm. A quick run south and the only birds we found had two center consoles on em so I just hung out on the perimeter with the binoc's and watched. didn't want to crash their party. saw the fish jumping but it was getting late and the two boats weren't finished so we called it a day and headed in.
Tues July 3rd we left at 9, ran way, way way south and east. Found a lone frigate and I told chris, " we are staying with that bird until it finds the tuna for us". 30 minutes later, bingo.............found the birds and school and stayed with em for 3 hours.....
ended up 4 for 7. lost three because i wasn't fast enough on the drag. ( you try doing this with just you and a pretty lady !). the yellowfins were big, and put a hurting on me. boated three. also caught the biggest blackfin i've ever caught. sharks were a pain as you'll see from the pic. they got half of what would have been our biggest one.
After three hours, tuna left, birds left, and we headed back to sunrise. plenty of fish for us. came home july 4th morning.

Beautiful trip. Enjoy............ps, our website is down until I convert to new mac system (icloud) so videos from this and abacos are delayed.

First couple fish

IMG_3969.jpg

Back breaker

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

Notice the sharked one !!

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

Dinner on the hook.....flank steak and vegies.

IMG_3995.jpg
2392.jpg

Replies

• Toothy ThangToothy Thang Posts: 1,411 Officer
    Nicely done! :thumbsup
  • LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,040 Captain
    NICE to say the least good to see your reports, the FYC team has bin wanting to catch those bigger YF. Some day??
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. :dog :dog LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"
  • fishingbuddiesfishingbuddies Posts: 636 Officer
    Very nice wish I could do that kind of tuna fishing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    “When you have to choose between two evils you still choose evil” Jerry Garcia
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Nice! Trolling or chunking?
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,779 Moderator
    Nice trip. Solid blackfin indeed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • VenturesomeVenturesome Posts: 1,743 Officer
    chunk time my friend.
    2392.jpg
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    chunk time my friend.

Thanks! I am going to make a run....
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • ChadJ55ChadJ55 Posts: 172 Officer
    Helluva job!!!
    706286751_21d4534df5_o.jpg
  • WTGreenWTGreen Posts: 214 Officer
    Awsome!
  • The NickoThe Nicko Posts: 475 Officer
    Nice work guys.. Solid yellow fins..
  • MoceanGrantdMoceanGrantd Posts: 87 Deckhand
    Nice job! Way to get it done
    Come fish with me (it's free)
    Www.moceangrantd.com
    Www.flylifemagazine.com
    good luck gt. also, check this out, when we first found the frigate a small pod of orcas surfaced. i've always read about them there in the summer but this was a first. small pod, but no mistaken them, huge vertical dorsal with the tell tale black and white. didn't look like they were feeding on the tuna..... thought you might like to know.
    2392.jpg
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 940 Officer
    awesome. At least the shark was nice enough to leave you w the good part.
    Lazy Bones wrote: »
    awesome. At least the shark was nice enough to leave you w the good part.

no kidding !!
    2392.jpg
  • skinneejskinneej Posts: 358 Officer
    Fantastic!
    skinnej.jpg
  • CrackerJackCrackerJack Posts: 38 Deckhand
    Beautiful fish! Great job
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FouReelSVTFouReelSVT Posts: 189 Officer
    Great job guys!!!
    Marcus-
    bfd3da28.jpg
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 3,628 Captain
    Why is it you two always look like you came straight out of a fishing tackle catalog. You both look clean, hair in place etc.... I look like one of those boys from Deliverance (and I am not talking about the guys in the canoes) when i tuna fish looking like I had murdered someone with tuna blood all over me as well as bait. Great catch and nice Blackfin!
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 3,628 Captain
    Oh also a few years ago 1amigo and I saw a pod of orcas in there. Very cool sight
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,257 Officer
    Stud Tunas with both Venturesome and Mrs V looking fabulous (as always). That Pic on the stern with Veggies and Flank is a favorite. :hail

GLad you two had fun, came, saw and CONQURED! :thumbsup:applause
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    emoney991@outlook.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,257 Officer
    good luck gt. also, check this out, when we first found the frigate a small pod of orcas surfaced. i've always read about them there in the summer but this was a first. small pod, but no mistaken them, huge vertical dorsal with the tell tale black and white. didn't look like they were feeding on the tuna..... thought you might like to know.

WOW, I have heard stories of Orcas in the Bahamas before. That was worth the price of admission right there!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    emoney991@outlook.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,925 Officer
    Very impressive, as usual...
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
  • DarcizzleDarcizzle Posts: 94 Deckhand
    That is one nice blackfin! :thumbsup You have enough meat to last you a long awhile! Great pictures, thanks for sharing.
    ~Darcie Lynne

"No Guts, No Glory."
  • BarracudaBarracuda Posts: 758 Officer
    Great report and quality YFT's! Figures that the weather would be great when I took the Venice trip, but I will get over there one of these days...great catch.... Looks like we will both be eating Tuna for awhile!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2amigo wrote: »
    Why is it you two always look like you came straight out of a fishing tackle catalog. You both look clean, hair in place etc.... I look like one of those boys from Deliverance (and I am not talking about the guys in the canoes) when i tuna fish looking like I had murdered someone with tuna blood all over me as well as bait. Great catch and nice Blackfin!

absolutely cracked me up with this one. ok, my "secret" although i've posted this before. tuna come over the side and straight into the livewell if they fit. i bleed them in there with the livewell on but the stopper plug pulled. so cockpit stays clean. when they quit kicking, we take a minute for the pics, all the while keeping an eye on the birds... we just love doing quality pics. so we take the extra time and effort to do this.

as to the orcas, come to find out, a friend of ours 2 days earlier saw the pod in the same area. how do you like that !!!
    2392.jpg
    ok, a little more food ****.......

IMG_3997.jpg

IMG_3996.jpg
    2392.jpg
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,261 Officer
    It can't get better than that, of course I think I have said that each time you post up a new trip. We are headed over the end of the month, would be happy to do half as well as you did. The Orcas would have made the whole trip worth it.
  • Get SumGet Sum Posts: 360 Officer
    WTG Steve and Mrs. V. Very nice productive short trip. Very respectful of you on the first day, most others would have crashed the party. That is a big **** blackfin! I think the shark was being more then generous with what he left for you! Great trip and thanks for posting.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,428 Admiral
    Steve and Chris....

you guys are amazing to say the least!!!!

Too bad we didn't hook up with you on our trip... UGH......

Way to go and I agree with E$. I have heard stories about Orca's but figured they were myths.

Cheers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • Ron@.38 SpecialRon@.38 Special Posts: 6,620 Admiral
    Solid trip guys!

Nothing like watching the previous posts and heading over to kill them yourself!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file