Pompano 6/4/12 Virmillion snappas!!!

JULY 4th!!! Went out of pompano today with a floatilla of other yakers. From what ive heard so far it was pretty much a bonita bonanza for most of the ppl that went. Flats broke got a bft. i ended up dropping a chicken rig down on one of the deep wrecks and hit the vermillion snappers pretty good. Past rod around to a few yaks so nobody was over the limit
A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends

Replies

• bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    Nice catch, and it's July 4th by the way :USA
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    OO yea duh! what a day to mess that up as i hear fireworks in the background. i dunno how to edit the title though lol
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
  • jvanpeltjvanpelt Posts: 410 Officer
    Nice!! Can't wait to get out there soon
    :USA:fishing
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    Nice job out there! I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but just wanted to add this one to the mix of fish. I caught this cero mackerel on the peddle back at 50ft on a vertical jig.

uploadfromtaptalk1341499135285.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
    Nice man! anybody else have any luck?
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    Nice man! anybody else have any luck?

Not that I know of. Maybe we'll all have some better results this weekend.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    dude! Snappa slaya! What were you using on the chicken rig? Bonita belly? Shrimp?

Oh and how deep were you? Nice fish man!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    thanks man. using squid until i ran out then chunks of bonita.. the bonita was staying on longer and i was getting little bit bigger ones like 16" on it. reef in 260'
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Killed it on the snappers good work. I got some type of Tuna with teeth and strips, I tossed it back( a boat saw me and almost had a heart attack), also pulled up a nice aj that got attacked yak side by a cuda. Ended up giving the rest of the aj to boat who had there eye on me...
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
    Pottymouth wrote: »
    Killed it on the snappers good work. I got some type of Tuna with teeth and strips, I tossed it back( a boat saw me and almost had a heart attack), also pulled up a nice aj that got attacked yak side by a cuda. Ended up giving the rest of the aj to boat who had there eye on me...
    Nice man. sounds like you got a skipjack tuna. they run with the bft and they are pretty good eating similar to bft but not quite as good. did it look like this
    ^^ Skippies are GREAT sashimi :)

Doug, nice work with the snappers. Bonita belly meat is some of the BEST snapper bait around. Next time I'm out there I think I may have to follow suit in fishin for some snappa!
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,211 Moderator
    Nice catching!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • frankthetankfrankthetank Posts: 863 Officer
    Yeah pottymouth same here very slow lost a monster king though in shallow on a 90g jig. So dissapointed I have been loosing all my big fish lately. I made a chicken rig doug one time and put dead pillchard and bonito on it and was cut completly off on the drop never tried it since. Wat leader are you using
    :fishing
    OCEAN KAYAK: PROWLER 13
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    the one in ur pic i have caught before, this one is new to me.. someone said it was a dogtooth tuna, but i thought dog tooth tuna were huge.. anyways it was a first for me so i tossed it back....
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
    Ya that's something different. Looks like a skipjack/makeral hybrid lol
    nice showed it to my dad and he said is was a "true atlantic bonito" and they are realllllly tood to eat. the bonita we always catch are really named "little tunny" lol
  • newyorkernewyorker Posts: 125 Officer
    Hey pottymouth, maybe you discovered a new species. That thing has some nasty teeth. I could see it now, could name it the potty mouthed atlantic tuna :) Anyway nice catch.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Yes sir, good stuff. It's an Atlantic bonito.
  • clearchoice18clearchoice18 Posts: 118 Officer
    drichard man it's nice to see something besides the old bft, wahoo, king even though it's great to catch but now there is more option, great catch brother, be nice to try wreck fishing hit me up next time you go out there. :fishing
    nice showed it to my dad and he said is was a "true atlantic bonito" and they are realllllly tood to eat. the bonita we always catch are really named "little tunny" lol

Correct, little tunny or "false albacore" the Atlantic Bonito are delicious apparently.

Did you make the chicken rig out of fluoro using dropper loops? Also what size weight did you need to hold bottom in that current?
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
    ya 40# flouro drop loops 2/0 circles n i used an 8 oz bank but just depends on current. 6oz-1lb.... if 1lb isnt enough just wait till a diff day lol
  • SaltysackSaltysack Posts: 463 Officer
    Doug, great job on the snappers man! Yeah Rob, that's an Atlantic Bonito, That's the one I gave to my buddy and he said it was delicious. The meat was like an AJ as for coloring, he said it had a pretty sweet taste as well. I've only got a few of em myself, one's a KW record lol...Catchem up this weekend.
  • CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    I've caught a few of those as well from time to time. Always toss them back thinking they're just junk. Know I know better...
  • seatrout55seatrout55 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    nice catch doug
  • frankthetankfrankthetank Posts: 863 Officer
    Wow that's crazy a guy a met last weekened me an kellan were fishing with caught one to and were thinking more of bait than dinner.but hay now we know! so where's everyone going this week. Can't wait till mini season gonna tear up some bugs in the yak.
    :fishing
    OCEAN KAYAK: PROWLER 13
  • LivinthedreamLivinthedream Posts: 207 Officer
    Nice catch drichard! I guess we know what an Atlantic bonito is now! Narly looking fish! I guess we will have to bring the wasabi Chris!
    ya 40# flouro drop loops 2/0 circles n i used an 8 oz bank but just depends on current. 6oz-1lb.... if 1lb isnt enough just wait till a diff day lol

Gracias Senor! Tight Lines
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji