Florida Girl 6/23 ledge report

We had planned on fishing the Northeast Florida Marlin Association's dolphin tourney but they cancelled it on Thursday due to a 3-5 forecast. We decided to make the run still and were pleasantly surprised. We started on a weedline in 120 and picked up a dolphin and a wahoo quickly. Fished it for a while but only had a few small bites so we headed east. We picked up a blackfin on the way east in about 150ft. Had a nice fish light up the planer rod and pulled the hooks after about 3 minutes on the rod. We had a mainline break on a billfish that was most likely a sail shortly after the hook up. Had nothing on the break but a tiny cuda so we put out the plastic and headed east, made it to 1300 with nothing to show for it but we expected it to be slow since we were marlin fishing. Made the call to turn west and we saw a freejumping sail in 1025. Had two billfish bites on the shotgun rod but didn't get the hooks in them. We worked the area for a bit but then made the call to continue west. In about 400ft we found a weedline that you could only dream about. It was hard to keep baits in the water but we weeded our way through some peanuts to get 5 dolphin between 8-18 pounds and a few smaller fish. We had a peanut come greyhounding from a distance through our spread going towards the weedline but didn't even windowshop our baits. It was about 1-2 minutes later and the shotgun rod got a hit. The fish immediately came up doing the billfish windshield wiper and after a few nice jumps and a 20 minute fight Scott had released his first Blue Marlin which was also the first one on the Florida Girl.
Untitled.jpg
P6230029.jpg

Replies

• yelowfinnyelowfinn Posts: 97 Deckhand
    Awesome Trip!!
  • Kapn SkinnyKapn Skinny Posts: 1,008 Officer
    Very impressive!!!!

:hail
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FishinChicoFishinChico Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Pretty Work Corey!! You seem to be dailing in the Florida Girl!!
  • FS RickFS Rick Posts: 113 Officer
    Warning Warning!!

Do Not! get addicted to big blue jumping fish. Only heartache awaits you young grasshopper. You will suffer endless sleepless nights, and financial ruination.

Trust me on this. I are one.
  • FinReaperFinReaper Posts: 198 Officer
    FSRick wrote: »
    Warning Warning!!

Do Not! get addicted to big blue jumping fish. Only heartache awaits you young grasshopper. You will suffer endless sleepless nights, and financial ruination.

Trust me on this. I are one.

:signs lol
    I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach:grin
  • benchmarkbenchmark Posts: 204 Officer
    Very nice, great job!
  • Four ReelFour Reel Posts: 70 Deckhand
    Congratulations!
  • flfisherflfisher Posts: 161 Officer
    Nice job on putting Scott on his first Blue!
    20' Shearwater 150 VMAX
  • tmantman Posts: 141 Deckhand
    Awesome!
  • knotenoughknotenough Posts: 925 Officer
    SWEET!!!!!
  • ConvertedConverted Posts: 117 Officer
    Awesome job Corey and crew, so is it true that Clint pulled the hooks on another screamer???????
  • FB BlackjackFB Blackjack Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Nice!
    Converted wrote: »
    Awesome job Corey and crew, so is it true that Clint pulled the hooks on another screamer???????

Yep! I heard the 50 wide hit second gear!!
  • UnderslotUnderslot Posts: 370 Officer
    I'm just glad someone other than the "Marlin Master" got the rod :kick

Joking... Great job guys!!
  • barrancobarranco Posts: 121 Officer
    Congrats Corey, Scott and the rest of the Florida Girl crew. Surprised Adrian remembered how to wire a billfish.
  • pilingjunkypilingjunky Posts: 2,044 Officer
    wow. Awesome!

:banana
    Underslot wrote: »
    I'm just glad someone other than the "Marlin Master" got the rod :kick

Joking... Great job guys!!

That crew was hungry for the rods, had to battle my way to the rods all day!! They ended up giving me the Master Baiter name tag for the day!! :fishing
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 884 Officer
    great story!! congratulations to the boat and Angler for an accomplishment missed by many....

:applause :applause :applause
  • mlacomlaco Posts: 236 Officer
    Pretty work Corey!
    "If it's worth doing, it's worth over doing!"
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,375 Officer
    Nice job. Thanks for posting.
  • WildLinesWildLines Posts: 547 Officer
    Very Nice Corey!!!

How'd the new ponies treat you?
  • renovatorrenovator Posts: 87 Deckhand
    Nice day sounds like to me. Congrats on the Marlin.
    [SIGPIC]captain-ron.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Pate55Pate55 Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Oh My God this is awesome...exactly why i check this site. Thank you for posting. You made my
    day!!!! Congrats on a day i can only dream about!!
  • knot tightknot tight Posts: 237 Deckhand
    Thank you everyone it was an great day. Clint did pull the hooks on a screamer that would have likely been my best wahoo this year. Adrian wasn't fast to the rod today but Scott and Clint are pretty good competition also.
    WildLines wrote: »
    Very Nice Corey!!!

How'd the new ponies treat you?

Chad,

Thank you. The engines ran great and they are back in the shop getting the 20 hour service and full integration with my simrad today. I did a little better on on fuel burn and ran a little faster than typical, low end grunt is great but I am dissappointed with my topend. I don't see how I can add 100 ponies to the back and gain 1 mph.
  • nolemannoleman Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    knot tight wrote: »
    Clint did pull the hooks on a screamer that would have likely been my best wahoo this year.

To set the record straight on this.....I did not pull the hooks. All I did was pick up the rod and the hooks (yes, hooks, plural) magically came detached from the fish when the captain slowed the boat down.
  • JaxAnglerJaxAngler Posts: 463 Deckhand
    nice work:thumbsup

Bold City Heating and Air
    State License CAC1818833

P: (904) 379-1648 / E: Service@BoldCityAC.com / BoldCityAC.com

• ConvertedConverted Posts: 117 Officer
    Clint, I'll get him back out on my boat again this year to retrain him on wahoo fishing.
  • 3ofakind3ofakind Posts: 76 Deckhand
    Great job Corey and crew!
  • Mighty QuinnMighty Quinn Posts: 183 Deckhand
    noleman wrote: »
    To set the record straight on this.....I did not pull the hooks. All I did was pick up the rod and the hooks (yes, hooks, plural) magically came detached from the fish when the captain slowed the boat down.

That's funny because the same thing happened to me in Ft Pierce, 3 times! I knew I didn't lose those fish myself.

Great job Corey and crew! Corey maybe I should just come up to Jax instead of us going down south or any where else.
    2016 Key West 239FS w/Yamaha 250
  • knot tightknot tight Posts: 237 Deckhand
    That's funny because the same thing happened to me in Ft Pierce, 3 times! I knew I didn't lose those fish myself.

Great job Corey and crew! Corey maybe I should just come up to Jax instead of us going down south or any where else.

Rodney,

Thats what happens when the beers kicked in and you were reeling in slow motion. Come on up. Rick's sailfish tournament should be happening here soon.

Corey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file