Flamingo fishing report, 23 June

Lots of rain and some wind this past week kept most off of the water. During the week we were the only boat on the water with rare exception along the Gulf coast of the Everglades. My anglers caught and released snook, redfish, trout, mackeral, cobia, flounder (and lots of other species including the usual sharks, etc).

At the moment the tarpon are pretty scarce where we've been along the coast. I think when the weather sorts itself out later this coming week they'll put on a stronger showing. We've been getting some very nice bites from snook on lures this week... here's a few pics of one that measured just over 28"
[img][/img][img][/img]9674657a.jpg

[img][/img][img][/img]fc8d6ac8.jpg

Although we got bites on plugs, and other lures the Gulp tailed jigheads were just the ticket...

A few minutes after this snook, local angler Jack Friedrich, scored a very nice flounder nearby on the same lure the snook liked...
[img][/img][img][/img]019baaaa.jpg

All were carefully released to fight another day. Normally this time of year live baits (ladyfish mostly) are just the ticket for really big snook, grouper, and other species. This past week almost every live bait was attacked in just a few minutes by very hungry sharks in the seven to eight foot range. The bites came so quickly that nothing else even had a chance at a meal.... It wasn't unusual to have double headers of sharks in the 100 to 150lb size range... We finally made the switch back to lures to get away from them. Here's a picture of one lemon that young angler Jacob Kashuk fought to the boat on a mono leader... it was every bit of seven feet long....
[img][/img][img][/img]f7244881.jpg
Note the second dorsal fin - that's the key indentifier for lemon sharks since they range in color from a yellow brown all the to the gray color of this one...

Although it was only day trips to the Everglades this week, we're finally in the time of year when night trips for small (and not so small) tarpon are a great option. We get on the water just before dark at a ramp on Miami Beach and are only five minutes from world class sightfishing for tarpon and snook under bridges and around docklights. I have to shout out to Sportfishing magazine for the article in their current issue that highlights that scene. The author Mike Mazur did a great job of highlighting the Miami portion of the night scene and my small part in it. Great article for anyone thinking about a night trip! (and for that first tarpon on fly...)
Tight Lines
Bob LeMay
(954) 435-5666

Replies

• fish4funfish4fun Posts: 225 Officer
    Gotta remember to get some of those gulp tails to put on my jigs!

Great pics and report Bob.
  • gdholbrookgdholbrook Posts: 480 Deckhand
    Great report, thanks
  • dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    How heavy a leader were you using Captain? (for those snook)
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,757 Captain
    For 10lb line a 30lb leader, for 12lb line a 40lb leader, etc.... All casting rigs are set up the same way, first double the line for three feet, then attach a 2' leader, knot to knot, never a swivel... and you're ready to go. For years and years all my leaders were just Ande premium clear mono in whatever size was needed. In recent years they're all Fluoro (also by Ande, it's the best buy I've found in fluorocarbon...).

Use too light a leader and you'll get shredded, use too heavy a leader and your lure won't look right (no bites). If I suspect that we're in such clear, shallow conditions that our leaders are too heavy, I'll go lighter than the above guidelines. First get that bite... the rest will follow that...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • RizanglerRizangler Posts: 147 Deckhand
    Hey Bob, glad to see some are braving the weather. How is the drive down? Construction a real slow down in the park? Like the snook!
    Dave
    20' Blue Wave
    12' Hobie Outback
    13' Native Slayer Propel
    The only tough part about the trip down to Flamingo is that terrible old road in the Park.... The good news is that the slow speed signs are gone, the bad news is that they've done some repair patches and are doing more (some fifty to almost one hundred feet long) on the lane you use driving out of the Park. I sure hope they're not finished since the patches are very rough. That whole road from the front gate down to Flamingo has been in poor condition for all the years I've been driving it (and it's even worse when there's heavy rain). I guess I shouldn't complain too much - at least the gate's open.... With all the money our government has spent in the last three years it sure would have been nice if a bit of it had been used to re-do that road.... Guess Flamingo just isn't a priority.....

November, it just can't some soon enough.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • dolfanjoeydolfanjoey Posts: 1,121 Officer
    nice report
  • dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    Thanks for the reply Capt. LeMay....hope to get down that way myself in the near future.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,105 Officer
    Does the Park Service remove the slow speed signs just for summer, or are they gone for good?
    Giimoozaabi
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,809 Captain
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    The only tough part about the trip down to Flamingo is that terrible old road in the Park.... The good news is that the slow speed signs are gone, the bad news is that they've done some repair patches and are doing more (some fifty to almost one hundred feet long) on the lane you use driving out of the Park. I sure hope they're not finished since the patches are very rough. That whole road from the front gate down to Flamingo has been in poor condition for all the years I've been driving it (and it's even worse when there's heavy rain). I guess I shouldn't complain too much - at least the gate's open.... With all the money our government has spent in the last three years it sure would have been nice if a bit of it had been used to re-do that road.... Guess Flamingo just isn't a priority.....

November, it just can't some soon enough.

I've gotten out of the truck barefoot a few times while driving back from the ramp to get something out of the truck bed/boat, etc., and always wondered where the federal government acquired all the broken glass, rusty nails, shark's teeth, and sea urchin spines to lay down on that "road" before they "paved" it.
    Cat's Eye it looks to me as though they're just gone.... I'd never, ever complain about reasonable slow speed zones to protect folks working along the roadway. That sort of stuff is a basic tenet of road construction safety anywhere you go. What the Park did, though was to post roughly one third of the entire roadway while only having crews actually working on just one or two spots that couldn't have totalled 1/4 mile all combined. Not sure what the rationale was but I can say it was definitely un-called for and just encouraged many to ignore the temporary speed signs entirely... That's why it was nice to see them gone. Like I said, I'd never object to reasonable speed precautions to keep workers safe.

TGunn, as noted before that road was never in good condition all the years I've been up and down it since the mid seventies..... I always assumed that some kind of serious sub-standard work was involved in whatever contract that brought about the "re-surfacing" that has been so bad for so many years. All in all, Everglades National Park appears to be the step-child of the National Park Service. Many visitors have told me that other places in the Park system are much, much better in every aspect from roads to accomodations, etc. Since I'm towing a skiff up and down that road almost daily some weeks - year 'round I've learned the hard way to carry two spare tires for a single axle trailer.....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • JWTJWT Posts: 324 Deckhand
    I remember in the late 60's when they dropped all that grey shale on the road. They basically made it a shale path, sealed with tar. it was like some mountain roads i have driven up north. They didn't have a speeding problem then because you didn't want to tow a boat at any speed. the flying rocks would somewhat "degrade" the bottom. Over the years they have actually made it better! I am not sure what they are doing with those speed bump patches they are putting in the road on the outbound side........ they do know how to do better than that. makes me wonder if it isn't just a temporary patch for something more to come?
    I sure hope so since you really don't want your trailer on them at any speed.... As I was heading home yesterday from Flamingo it sure was nice that the road was empty so I could just straddle the center line until I cleared all those hazards - and that's exactly what they are... Seems it's also fire season now.... Not wild fire just controlled burns with the attending fire vehicles that can be a hazard all by themselves. I wonder what first time visitors to the Park think.....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • flatsrangerflatsranger Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    Nice report... love the Gulp tails... work great.
  • FloridaFlatsMasterFloridaFlatsMaster Posts: 102 Officer
    nice snook!!
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm Posts: 445 Officer
    great report capt. The snook fishing is really heating up all over ...
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Nice report man! Nice linesider as well!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights