Fish near Dunedin Causeway?

I'm going to be heading out to the beach area just beyond the Dunedin Causeway bridge this weekend with my kids. They want to catch bait with their seine net, but I'm hoping to fish for trout, redfish, or snook. Are any of these biting over there? Which side is better to fish - Palm Harbor side or Dunedin side?
:fishing

Replies

• DerekDerek Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Well I'll go ahead and answer my own question now......not today. I fished the out-going tide near the last bridge before Honeymoon Island and caught nothing. Not even one hit - same for the others fishing around me. Someone on the north side came over and said he caught an 18" trout, but that was it. Oh well, got the line wet and had fun anyway.
  • Tarpon NoleTarpon Nole Posts: 1,857 Officer
    are you on the beach at honeymoon, or the actual causeway?
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,913 Moderator
    Derek have you given up on offshore and doing the skinny water?
    I was on the actual causeway. I was fishing on the south side of the last bridge before honeymoon. I was fishing with a live pinfish under a cork, as well as, working a Rapala skitter walk, mirrolure twitchbait (greenback color), and jerk baits.
    Reel-Lucky wrote: »
    Derek have you given up on offshore and doing the skinny water?

Not sure you have the right Derek. I don't own a boat so the offshore fishing is a little tough to do. I'm originally from Ft. Lauderdale, and I love offshore fishing - especially for dolphin a.k.a. mahi-mahi.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,913 Moderator
    Yep, wrong Derek, before the forum revamp there was a "Derek" here in West Central that fished offshore.
  • DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,359 Captain
    Derek wrote: »
    I was on the actual causeway. I was fishing on the south side of the last bridge before honeymoon. I was fishing with a live pinfish under a cork, as well as, working a Rapala skitter walk, mirrolure twitchbait (greenback color), and jerk baits.

Derek,

The place to fish is across from the causeway beach facilities. I consistently fish there. There are are a few drop off points along the waterside. It's usually done great for me.
    Are you talking about the spot where they rent out kayaks and stuff? So you fish on the north side (right side if heading to Honeymoon Island)? How far out are the drop-off points? Also, do you fish the incoming or outgoing tides? Thanks for the tip!
  • BertBert Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Derek,
    There are absolutly NO fish on the NORTH side of the causeway directly across from the rental place! Don't waste your time! AND there are NO drop offs out about 3' deep wading and then casting out what ever you like. Especially skitterwalks and gulps. ;) and dont put a small rod with a couple of sabiki hooks tipped with some small cuts of gulp in your kids hands, they'll NEVER catch you any bait that way. ;)

Oh and don't use a float rig with live scrimp or smal pins, just scares the fish away!

Hope to see you on the causeway having a blast with the kids doing what I told you not to do.
    Bert
    Bert wrote: »
    Derek,
    There are absolutly NO fish on the NORTH side of the causeway directly across from the rental place! Don't waste your time! AND there are NO drop offs out about 3' deep wading and then casting out what ever you like. Especially skitterwalks and gulps. ;) and dont put a small rod with a couple of sabiki hooks tipped with some small cuts of gulp in your kids hands, they'll NEVER catch you any bait that way. ;)

Oh and don't use a float rig with live scrimp or smal pins, just scares the fish away!

Hope to see you on the causeway having a blast with the kids doing what I told you not to do.
    Bert

Yeah, what he said. LOL
    :agree
  • TerradogTerradog DunedinPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    edited June 29 #13
    My observation is, people who catch fish consistently on the causeway or Honeymoon Island, know how to properly rig their bait or present lures and then there are those who  don't catch fish because they don't know the first thing about how to rig their line, thus no fish. My suggestion is to read up, especially if you are targeting a specific fish. There are also many excellent how to videos on YouTube.
    edited June 29 #14
    My observation is, people who catch fish, on the causeway or Honeymoon Island consistently is because they know how to properly rig their bait or present lures. I see many who fish, but don't know the first thing as to how to rig their line, thus no fish. My suggestion is to read up, especially if you are targeting a specific fish. There are also many how to videos on YouTube
    My observation is, people who catch fish consistently know how to properly rig their bait or present lures. I see many who fish, but don't know the first thing how to rig their line, thus no fish. My suggestion is to read up, especially if you are targeting a specific fish. There are also many how to videos on YouTube.

• Tampa_HooksetTampa_Hookset Tampa, FLPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    I've fished the south side at the 2nd bridge leading in Honeymoon Island with pretty good success. I caught a 20-25 pound Sting Ray on the North side of the 1st bridge. I've also caught Cobia, Grouper, Red and Mackerel. I used cut bait and live Pinfish. Even small Grunts work for me. This past Friday something big broke my line twice. Anyway, I find it to be a decent spot. I'll post more 
  • steelcitysteelcity Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    You could shark fish. There's more sharks in that area then people want to know about. 
  • Tampa_HooksetTampa_Hookset Tampa, FLPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    steelcity said:
    You could shark fish. There's more sharks in that area then people want to know about. 
    I've heard its good for sharks especially at night. That's what probably broke my line last week.
  • Marty McFlyMarty McFly Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    Terradog said:
    That poor reel haha
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 305 Deckhand
    Yeah, I thought the same, but kept quiet🤪
    And the matching hats are pretty cool too
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 202 Deckhand
    And the matching hats are pretty cool too
    I have one myself and they are worth their weight in gold.
    alright, alright, I’m sorry.
    not at all as bad as 2 guys in a tandem kayak. 
    or 2 guys together throwing a 6’ bait net like it was a wet blanket 
    That IS. a nice snook. Good catch.
    steelcity said:
    The first piling right across from the condos after the 2nd bridge are always full of small blacktips.
    steelcity said:
    I've heard its good for sharks especially at night. That's what probably broke my line last week.
    I've been spooled  over there. Might have been a ray though. They breed on the flats side of Honeymoon too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file