6/17 Father’s Day Crystal River trout drifting

We decided to give the redfish a break today and do a little Carolina drifting for trout. We first started the day around the oyster bars and the mangrove shorelines for a little top water action. Got a few to cooperate.

After 9 am we decide to see if the grovers were around. We stopped at a few spots that usually hold them and they also cooperated.

Not a secret where we are in the last 2 pics.

We started out drift at 11am in 10 feet of water with not much luck. We moved around a bit until we found the depth. 6 feet is where they were located today. Started the drift in 6 feet and the action was non stop until we left at 3. Caught nearly 50 trout, a bunch of sea bass, and a few sharks. Thank you to Kyle for showing me this very productive way to catch a boatload of trout.

We kept a few for the table and the rest went back to fight another day.

Another great day on the big bend.

• troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Way to go Mario and crew! Glad to help out anytime! That;s a nice buch of fish you have in that cooler...especially those snapper.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice cooler shot and grovers Mario :beer
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 879 Officer
    It looks like you done much better today than we did yesterday. Thank you, now I know at least that there are in fact fish out there! Water looks so much calmer than yesterday, makes me wish we would have waited. Thanks for the great report.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,092 Moderator
    Drifting them up old school :thumbsup
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,694 Captain
    Looks like you had some fun out there Mario! Hey what is that fish in the bottom right side of your cooler? Can't quite make out what it is? Doesn't look like the others???
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Thats a blue runner. We were using strips of them for bait. The grovers and the trout seem to love them.
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,035 Officer
    nice way to spend fathers day Mario, and a nice cooler of fish too!
  • inshore77inshore77 Posts: 54 Deckhand
    Nice job Mario! Way to fill the cooler.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,776 Captain
    Nice Father's Day! That size snapper are my favorite, they deep fry whole.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,510 Captain
    Great looking cooler shot and no better way to spend fathers day....:thumbsup
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Great job Marrio. We fished that rack for a few minutes on Saturday, drifting by it at about 30mph 2-3 times. I saw the fish on the depth finder but we were casting pins and arties and they didn't hit. Now I know why.

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    My friend Jeff was out there saturday and got a small 29" cobia. You probly saw him out there. He was in a 17' blue and white action craft.
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Actually, I started out looking for reds and trout in the groves. As we came in sight of the spot you showed me, we watched a pod of about 20 dolphin systematically work a circle through the area destroying bait. They did this for about fifteen minutes at which point we left. By the time we made it to the rack, no one was there. It was about 3pm and rough. A 17' action craft would have been miserable if not underwater at that point. :)

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file