Towing with a 6.2L F250

kerrekkerrek Posts: 26 Greenhorn
I am looking at getting a new tow vehicle. Anybody towing with a 6.2L gas F250? I know the diesel is better but I am looking at putting just a few thousand miles on it a year. I'll be towing a 25' Contender weight around 8500-9000.

Replies

• sterlingxs22sterlingxs22 Posts: 158 Officer
    I love the power of my 6.2 gas I have a 2011 f150 and I tow a 22 Sterling and get 13 mpg on interstate with boat, i am like you I don't drive it a lot but when I do I love it, mine is also 4+4 so a two wheel dr might get a little better.
  • kerrekkerrek Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I love the power of my 6.2 gas I have a 2011 f150 and I tow a 22 Sterling and get 13 mpg on interstate with boat, i am like you I don't drive it a lot but when I do I love it, mine is also 4+4 so a two wheel dr might get a little better.

How is it at the ramp? Just want to know if I am goiung to need a 4X4. Never had any trouble with my Sierra 2500 so I am hoping the Ford will do as well.
    Never had mine in 4+4 but there is not another stock engine in a half ton with that much power and torque , they are also very fast trucks, I went on trip this week and got 18.5 at 75 mph , no trailer.
  • kerrekkerrek Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Never had mine in 4+4 but there is not another stock engine in a half ton with that much power and torque , they are also very fast trucks, I went on trip this week and got 18.5 at 75 mph , no trailer.

Cool thanks for the info I want a good reliable tow vehicle for my boat. That milage seems great compared to what I am getting now.
  • CatalystCatalyst Posts: 191 Deckhand
    I am loving my F250 4x4 crewcab with the 6.2. However I am not winning any gas mileage contests. I get around 9mpg towing my 8500 lb camper and 11 mpg around town. I drive only about 2 miles to work so it is not good for mileage. I don't drive highway when not towing much but it looks like around 13-14 when I do. I only drive about 7k miles a year so I am not too concerned about the mileage and love my truck.

sterlingxs22's number are a bit surprising to me. I have done a fair amount of research and not many people are getting 13mpg with a 6.2 towing anything and 18.5 is almost unheard of.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tuna mantuna man Posts: 627 Officer

Very funny! Great engine and truck but 18.5? Ain't happening!
    I not pulling your leg and I don't work for ford but I do get 18.5 @. 75 mph ( no trailer) . I get 14 around town. I know it sounds funny but it does better at 75 than 65. And I do not say this because I don't like other trucks, I like Toyota , Chevy ,even some dodges.
    I forgot to mention my brother has a Ecco bust 2 wheel drive and it only gets 2 miles a gallon better on expressway but 3 better around town.
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm Posts: 445 Officer
    You're fine with the f250.

I have an f150 ecoboost and while it probably doesn't get as good as MPG as they advertise, it pulls like a champ and the twin turbo is FUN
  • Bottom LinesBottom Lines Posts: 1,101 Officer
    Do yourself a favor and calculate what you're getting based on the old tried and trued method (number of miles you got divided by the number of gallons you had to put back into your tank which fueled those miles)... The on dash displays can only go so far...

I've got Chevy's 6.2 gasser in a 2011 Silverado 4x4 1500. Average around 14 between highway/in town. 12 if I'm in town only. Best I've ever seen straight highway is 16. I got around 9-10 the last time I went through a full tank towing the boat (Homestead to Key West and back)...

The truck is REAL fun to drive without the boat behind it, and I have on occasion ruined the gas milage posted above by enjoying it too much...:grin
  • Fred GreyFred Grey Posts: 101 Officer
    I forgot to mention my brother has a Ecco bust 2 wheel drive and it only gets 2 miles a gallon better on expressway but 3 better around town.

All that silly fuel savings and it will smoke your big bad 6.2 V8.....they really are a bust arent they??? :wink
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No Ecco bust is going to outrun a ford f150 with the 6.2, I'm not bragging I'm just telling the truth. I beleave they would sound awesome with duel exhaust because they sound good stock.
    Bottom Lines I see what you are saying, I reset trip comp. and watch the miles and gallons used and they concur, but you may be right I guess but it's close.
    No Ecco bust is going to outrun a ford f150 with the 6.2, I'm not bragging I'm just telling the truth.

Well dang it..... I guess Motortrend magazine had it all wrong when they named the "eco bust" F150 truck of the year after it out ran a Harley F150 with a 6.2:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1110_2011_ford_f_150_full_line_test/harley_davidson_lariat_specs.html

As a self proclaimed gear head; I would never have thought I would own a V-6 truck in my life! However, once I expeirenced an "eco bust" off of the 1000 mile break-in tune and researched the motors capability and potential.......it was a no brainer. I dont want to be pushy with all my direct injected, twin turbo technology so how about we line 'em up and see who is right over a couple $100 bills?? :crossed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fred you are wright I pulled up the article and it's there. .2 a second is close but I guess I'd never figured the Ecco could stay with 6.2 as good as it runs.
    Fred you are wright I pulled up the article and it's there. .2 a second is close but I guess I'd never figured the Ecco could stay with 6.2 as good as it runs.

Awe man......does that mean we dont get to line 'em up??? C'mon, .2 of a second is easily within a drivers error!
    :blowkiss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Would love to see how the 6.2 in the 1500 Silverado runs against the Fords... Anyone got a link to a report? I know it runs HARD.... Read a report one time about it outrunning the Toyota with its 5.7, and the Dodge with the Hemi, but the Ford they had running with it didn't have either of the engines in question (got smoked)...

From personal experience, I've never had a truck outrun me from the toll booth, and I've had a few try...:grin
    Would love to see how the 6.2 in the 1500 Silverado runs against the Fords... Anyone got a link to a report? I know it runs HARD.... Read a report one time about it outrunning the Toyota with its 5.7, and the Dodge with the Hemi, but the Ford they had running with it didn't have either of the engines in question (got smoked)...

From personal experience, I've never had a truck outrun me from the toll booth, and I've had a few try...:grin

I cant seem to find a head to head on a 6.2 GM and a Ford Ecoboost. However, Motertrend liked the 6.2 in this Chevy that ran 0-60 in 7 seconds and smoked the old Ford 5.4 mod motor:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/112_0902_2009_half_ton_truck_comparison/viewall.html

Two years later they really seemed to like the little 3.5 liter V-6 Ford that ran a 6.2 second 0-60:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1106_2011_ford_f_150_lariat_ecoboost_first_test/specs_and_pricing.html

I will be in Islamorada the week of July 7-14th if your close and want to line 'em up and see what happens? :driver:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I guess we will have to stick to running the 1/4 mile as opposed to the 1/8 then...:grin

http://trucktrend.automotive.com/165399/163-1110-2011-ford-f-150-v6-v8-comparison/ecoboost.html

EcoBoost double cab: 0-60 MPH 6.2 seconds\14.8 seconds to finish the 1\4 mile at 95.0 MPH

http://trucktrend.automotive.com/57877/163-0712-2008-gmc-sierra-denali/index.html

Sierra Denali 6.2L: 0-60 MPH 6.5 seconds\14.5 seconds to finish the 1\4 mile at 93.0 MPH.
    I couldnt get your links to work but Im game either way :driver:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jimcameronjimcameron Posts: 212 Officer
    Anybody want to line up with my Subaru Forester turbo? Just to even things up, I'll hook up my 15' Whaler to the hitch.:blowkiss
    Jim if you had a Ford f150 you could get a bigger boat! If my new Cobra had a hitch then we'd see.ha ha
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 Officer
    We(wife) have an Escalade with 6.2L . It's okay but doesn't kick your butt in the seat until about 5000RPM. I'm used to the Duramax chipped that will blow away the Escalade after the first 30' or so unless you pre spin the turbo.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • Egreen cobraEgreen cobra Posts: 225 Officer
    I too have a 2011 F150 SCREW with the 6.2. 4x4, 20's and 3.73's
    12-14 around town, 18+ on the highway 60-65mph. 14-15 mph towing the bass boat Cape Coral to the Big O.

It's not really fair to run a Ecoboost to a Harley, I'll guarantee the Harleys are a heavier truck, and they have what 22's?
    The only real way would be to run a Lariat EB against a Lariat 6.2, both SCREWs with the same wheel/tire and 3.73's.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file