Rodeo report.....MONSTER FLATTIE!!!!!

Our 4 person team consisted of my daughter Alexa, friends Scott and Robbie and myself. I had to work Friday but Scott and Robbie went after the sheep and were able to post the 2nd place sheep with a 6.9 lb that Robbie caught. That morning before the sheep Scott hit a favorite spot and landed the 2nd place bass at 7.55 lbs. After work I took my daughter to a local dock and she was able to catch what was at the time the 1st place bream and ended up taking 3rd overall! The next day Alexa headed to St. Augustine on my jon boat and Scott and Robbie fished the same areas on Scott's boat. At about 8:30 am while running north in the intercoastal my driveshaft let go leaving us stranded in the channel with gusting wind and blinding rain; did I mention my daughter is 7? We could not see 20' as the rain was so hard, minutes later a 45' sportfisherman nearly ran us over at 25 knots, I dont think they ever saw us, they were literally inside of 15' and never slowed down! We nearly capsized. My dad lives in villages of vilano and has his boat in their marina; gave him a call and he was there to bail son and granddaughter out in short order, THANKS DAD!!!! We were back on the trailer around 9:15 and headed home boatless on tournament day. After trying to secure an engine without success I decided to head back to the bream dock and managed the tournament winner!!! When life gives you lemons.... So on Sunday Scott and I decided we would take his boat and try to catch a flounder and maybe a bigger sheep. Well it was a good choice, I was throwing an 8-10 in mullet and hooked a beast. I thought it may be a red as it made a strong run and felt way too heavy to be a flounder. After a minute I realized it wasn't a red and thought I may have a big ray. A minute later I saw what would be the largest flounder I have ever caught let alone seen in person. After 2 times in and out of the net, a few strong runs and several choice words we boated the 13.36 lb 31" monster. We were ecstatic and she is headed for the wall. All in all a great tourny and a lot of fun. Funny side note is at approximately 7:30 a.m. on the last day of last years tournament, I caught the winning flounder. I caught the winner within mins. of the same time on the same day this year. Congratulations to all of the other winners and a BIG thank you to everyone who helped put this tournament together. See you all next year!

Replies

• GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Holy ****!
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • reelhookerreelhooker Posts: 644 Officer
    That is a monster! Congratulations.
  • GarboGarbo Posts: 1,256 Officer
    DANG.

• troutdigglertroutdiggler Posts: 378 Deckhand
    Congrats to you guys, I saw that beast in person. Impressive!!!
  • BadfishBadfish Posts: 1,067 Officer
    Wow, nice fish
  • Optimum7Optimum7 Posts: 348 Deckhand
    Congrats!! Glad everyone was safe after all!!
  • renovatorrenovator Posts: 87 Deckhand
    Now that's a real doormat! congrats.
    [SIGPIC]captain-ron.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,376 Captain
    renovator wrote: »
    Now that's a real doormat! congrats.

...more like an area rug!
  • Whipper SnapperWhipper Snapper Posts: 576 Officer
    Thats a STUD! Congrats!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DudeDude Posts: 1,789 Officer
    True doormat!
    DUDE!
    2meanfish1.gif
  • Gettin' JiggyGettin' Jiggy Posts: 135 Officer
    Giant Flat Fish!!! Wow!!
    Capt. Cris Howell
    318cc Edgewater
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,020 Admiral
    Second place Sheep...second place bass...third place bream...and first place flounder with an area rug....dude, that is nothing but awesome :hail

....and your daughter sounds like a trooper, at the ripe old age of 7 ...!!:hail

Congrats.

steve
  • knot tightknot tight Posts: 237 Deckhand
    Congrats Ron that is a flounder of a lifetime.
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,241 Captain
    that's a sheet of plywood! holy crap!
  • markallenmartinmarkallenmartin Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    BOOYAH!!!
  • R_SaltR_Salt Posts: 184 Officer
    What did you catch him on? That thing is a beast!
    "Reel Minions"
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 885 Officer
    WOW!!! :hail :hail :hail :hail
  • I FA DATI FA DAT Posts: 553 Officer
    Beast!!!:willynilly Great report! :thumbsup
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,020 Admiral
    R_Salt wrote: »
    What did you catch him on? That thing is a beast!

Looks like he used an 8 to 10 inch mullet !!

Big bait = big fish....!!
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,071 Admiral
    Incredible fishing man, great job.
    As for the location, I heard there was a big one caught next to my buddy Luis in mayport too, lol.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • fishmounterfishmounter Posts: 477 Officer
    3ofakind wrote: »
    Our 4 person team consisted of my daughter Alexa, friends Scott and Robbie and myself. I had to work Friday but Scott and Robbie went after the sheep and were able to post the 2nd place sheep with a 6.9 lb that Robbie caught. That morning before the sheep Scott hit a favorite spot and landed the 2nd place bass at 7.55 lbs. After work I took my daughter to a local dock and she was able to catch what was at the time the 1st place bream and ended up taking 3rd overall! The next day Alexa headed to St. Augustine on my jon boat and Scott and Robbie fished the same areas on Scott's boat. At about 8:30 am while running north in the intercoastal my driveshaft let go leaving us stranded in the channel with gusting wind and blinding rain; did I mention my daughter is 7? We could not see 20' as the rain was so hard, minutes later a 45' sportfisherman nearly ran us over at 25 knots, I dont think they ever saw us, they were literally inside of 15' and never slowed down! We nearly capsized. My dad lives in villages of vilano and has his boat in their marina; gave him a call and he was there to bail son and granddaughter out in short order, THANKS DAD!!!! We were back on the trailer around 9:15 and headed home boatless on tournament day. After trying to secure an engine without success I decided to head back to the bream dock and managed the tournament winner!!! When life gives you lemons.... So on Sunday Scott and I decided we would take his boat and try to catch a flounder and maybe a bigger sheep. Well it was a good choice, I was throwing an 8-10 in mullet and hooked a beast. I thought it may be a red as it made a strong run and felt way too heavy to be a flounder. After a minute I realized it wasn't a red and thought I may have a big ray. A minute later I saw what would be the largest flounder I have ever caught let alone seen in person. After 2 times in and out of the net, a few strong runs and several choice words we boated the 13.36 lb 31" monster. We were ecstatic and she is headed for the wall. All in all a great tourny and a lot of fun. Funny side note is at approximately 7:30 a.m. on the last day of last years tournament, I caught the winning flounder. I caught the winner within mins. of the same time on the same day this year. Congratulations to all of the other winners and a BIG thank you to everyone who helped put this tournament together. See you all next year!

If you are mounting it and you kept it, I can make a beautiful custom mold off of your fish! I also have some molds that size. I will make you a deal if I can mold your fish.
  • gut1683gut1683 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Congrats on the fish and making the front page!
  • king 1king 1 Posts: 257 Deckhand
    thats awesome :thumbsup
    congrats
  • seanhev77seanhev77 Posts: 276 Officer
    Congrats. Nice Job on the Payday too!
  • ThatGUYThatGUY Posts: 121 Officer
    Huge flatfish! Tightwork!
  • SHELLFISHSHELLFISH Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    Monster! Great job and thanks for the picture!
  • pilingjunkypilingjunky Posts: 2,044 Officer
    Musta been Spivey! ??
    :hail
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,375 Officer
    Man great fish! You had to be freaking out trying to net that thing.
  • Cooney's Fishin' FLCooney's Fishin' FL Posts: 36 Deckhand
    That fish is freaking amazing!!!! I'm incredibly jealous!
  • JaxAnglerJaxAngler Posts: 463 Deckhand
    wow congrats bro

Bold City Heating and Air
    State License CAC1818833

P: (904) 379-1648 / E: Service@BoldCityAC.com / BoldCityAC.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file