6-3-2012 - Port Saint Lucie Offshore Fishing Report:

Taking Amber (14) and her dad Pete out today in hopes of checking off some fish from Ambers bucket list. This was Amber back on June 5th, 2010 aboard the AF when she tagged and released her first fin.

P6040092.jpg

P6050099.jpg

Fast forward to June 3rd, 2012

Headed to Bullshark and tried catching some baits with not much luck. Here is Shoeless and some other people catching some baits.

P6030002.jpg

P6030003.jpg

Amber getting ready to catch some baits

P6030004.jpg

Sunrise pics

P6030007.jpg

P6030008.jpg

Caught a handful of dines then headed out east and located some more. Finally called the bait catching around 9:30am with only a dozen or so in the well.

Here is Jimmy catching some baits offshore

P6030011.jpg

Headed out from 70ft in search of some weeds. Finally came across ouf first weeds in 700 ft north of the Hill. Put out the normal spread of livey’s, chunks and menhaden oil and one other special ingredient - Menhaden Milk. Read in Florida Sportsman about how the milk mixes better with the water than the oil does. I figured best of both worlds when using both. The oil makes the slick so you can see where to keep your bait in and the milk disperses in the water :thumbsup

P6030025.jpg

Amber waiting for the bite...

P6030026.jpg

Drifted about ½ hour while continuing the chunk & dunk of menhaden juices every 15 minutes then FISH ON… Nice gaffer hits the long line which was right in the middle of a menhaden oil slick… Amber fights this fish to the boat without a hitch and I sink the gaff and in the box it goes…

P6030018.jpg

Amber with her first keeper fin. It was a bull as well. Great job Amber :thumbsup

P6030020.jpg

P6030022.jpg

About a ½ hour later the long line gets nailed again and Amber is on another fish. This one is much bigger than the first fish in the box. After a few short swaps of the fish taking line then Amber gaining some line the fish decided he wanted no more of that and smoked the line down deep and spooled her until it came unglued.

Never saw it and have no clue what it was out in 780 feet. We worked this weed line until it ended and began working our way west. By now we were in 980ft. The north wind and current brought us deeper. Pete spots a buoy floating so we go up and toss in a livey with no bites.

Opted to work this for a bit and tossed out some chunk bait, menhaden oil & milk and got up current and made a drift through it. FISH ON… Amber hooks up another fin… This one was only 19” so we did a tag and release to grow up for another fisherman to enjoy the fight. :thumbsup.

CLICK PICTURE BELOW FOR GO-PRO UNDERWATER VIDEO

th_Tagrelease-Amber.jpg

Location of the released fin...

P6030027.jpg

Continued west to around 300ft when Pete spots a fin slicing through the water. Can anyone tell what this is? Pete was thinking Marlin but I am not sure. I haven’t seen one in person so hold judgments to the experts. Looks like a tailing Sailfish to me...

P6040028.jpg

P6040030.jpg

We tossed out a livey and a Sailfish nailed it and Amber is fighting her first ever Sailfish. When this fish hooked up the fin in the picture above was off our bow so it was not the same fish.

Amber on her first Sailfish

P6040033.jpg

P6040032.jpg

P6040038.jpg

P6040040.jpg

P6040041.jpg

P6040044.jpg

P6040045.jpg

P6040046.jpg

CLICK THE NEXT 2 PICTURES TO SEE UNDERWATER GOPRO VIDEOS

th_AmberSail.jpg

th_AmberSailrelease.jpg

P6040056.jpg

Amber with her first Sailfish. Congrats Amber. Great job :thumbsup

P6040060.jpg

P6040057.jpg

Location of where the Sailfish was caught

P6040034.jpg

From here we ran in to 6 mile reef to soak the last two dines and clean up the boat.

Here is Amber an hour later after successfully catching and releasing her first Sailfish... Love those smiles :thumbsup That my friends, is what it is all about :grin

P6040061.jpg

P6040062.jpg

Here is Amber with her trophy leader & wire from her Sailfish

P6040064.jpg

Here is her proud dad Peter

P6040063.jpg

Pete (in his spare time as a Heat Treat worker at TCT) and his daughter Amber are building Amber a boat. It won't be long and she will be offshore joining in on the fun with us all. Make sure you invite me aboard your new boat when you complete it Amber so you can show me how to catch some fish :grin

Today’s Tally:

2 fins
1 Sailfish
1 Mystery fish

How did you all do today?

Met Fishingbuddies & 1Deadbait at the ramp. Nice new paint job on the boat. I did not recognize it. Awesome :thumbsup

Amber back at the dock

P6040065.jpg

P6040066.jpg

When I told her that she now gets to take her fish home and eat it she had second thoughts :grin

P6040067.jpg

P6040068.jpg

Special Thanks for My Other Honey (Capt. Pete) for giving me a tip the day before that the sails were in 300ft

Click the link below to get yourself on a first class charter

http://www.stuartflsportfishing.com/directions.html

Tip of the day

Make a couple quick links in your cell phones to the fishing regulations. Providing you can access the signal offshore, you will have a quick way to find out the regulations. I myself like to know what we are mainly targeting before we head offshore so I can read up on that particular fish but like most days, you never know what you’re going to catch out there.

CHART

http://myfwc.com/media/2075522/saltwater_regulations_chart.pdf

REGULATIONS/HOT SHEET

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/

Random pics

P6030013.jpg

P6030019.jpg

P6030015-1.jpg

P6030021.jpg

P6030017.jpg

P6040037.jpg

P6040047.jpg

P6040051.jpg

P6040053.jpg

P6040054.jpg

P6030012.jpg

P6040031.jpg
ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Truckdecal-signature.jpg

Replies

• Dream RealityDream Reality Posts: 889 Officer
    Nice report Jeff! Thanks as always.
  • footanklegfootankleg Posts: 505 Officer
    Great day!
    Cobia 296 F300s J & B
    Hewes 18' RF Y130 Flatfoot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,778 Moderator
    Great report Jeff. Amber sure looked happy to catch her first sail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • juniorbaiterjuniorbaiter Posts: 139 Officer
    Nice report Jeff as "Always". Regarding the fishing regs chart, I took a photo of it with my phone and keep it stored there so I can access it whether I get a cell signal or not. I do the same thing with a list of offshore numbers I've compiled. Catchemup, Jim
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,691 Admin
    Great report Jeff, it has it all. How-to, where-to, bent rods, under water video, and most importantly, photos of a very happy angler who probably will never forget this day. Way to go.
  • BearmaticBearmatic Posts: 576 Officer
    Great report Jeff you missed your calling should be a fishing reporter full time. That young lady will never forget that day with dad and friend Jeff. That smile on her says it all. :thumbsup:fishing
  • roweryborowerybo Posts: 2,091 Officer
    Great job putting Amber on some fish Jeff, the smiles are the most important thing.
  • bullchaserbullchaser Posts: 930 Officer
    Great report as always Jeff!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,064 Captain
    Great Job AF and Crew!!!! Awesome report!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EagleEagle Posts: 118 Officer
    Nice dolphin and it looked like you all had a great time the expression on Amger`s face with that dolphin tells the story, those baits are funny one day they are thick and the next they are scarce, I will see you soon, Eagle.
  • oldtimeroldtimer Posts: 476 Officer
    Great to convert another angler to the joys of the deep.

She and her dad will remember this trip for a lifetime. Thanks to you for making that happen.
  • fishingbuddiesfishingbuddies Posts: 636 Officer
    Great report and photo. Way to go AF for getting Amber her phin and sail. Nice seeing you at the dock.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    “When you have to choose between two evils you still choose evil” Jerry Garcia
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    As alway's awesome pic's thanks for sharing.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
  • snooknUSMCsnooknUSMC Posts: 113 Officer
    Nice report as always!
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,105 Captain
    Great catching and great report!
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,428 Admiral
    Jeff,

I just got to NYC from Brussels and your report did not disappoint!

Excellent content and as Blair and others said above.. it has everything a report should have.

Take care and way to put Amber on some "firsts"

Cheers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • onICEonICE Posts: 985 Officer
    Your posts are what the forum is all about. Awesome report as usual!
  • AlwaysforwardAlwaysforward Posts: 1,502 Captain
    Thanks All Amber will remember this trip for sure. I bet she is still huggin her fin :grin

LMannyR I noticed you posted in another report that you never caught a Black Seabass. Nice time your heading offshore, shoot me an email and I will give you some tips & numbers...

Juniorbaiter I like your idea better. I will most definitely do that this week :thumbsup

Fishingbuddies Nice see you again too Jackson :thumbsup

Machine Head Nice chatting with you on the radio on Saturday. How did you make out?

Truckdecal-signature.jpg
  • VindawgVindawg Posts: 801 Officer
    Way to go Jeff...That is surely a day that she will tell everyone about.
  • robalorogrobalorog Posts: 495 Officer
    Nice report. Love the pic of Amber hugging the fish. That is too funny..
  • Dream RealityDream Reality Posts: 889 Officer
    Jeff, thanks and will do. Been getting the boat back seaworthy again. Replaced all through hulls, upgraded bilge pumps from 2 809gph to 2 2000gph. Replaced leaky rim. Added a spare tire, touched up engine paint, replaced drive trim hydraulic connector and leaky hoses lead to trim pump. Cleaned the bilge with dawn and scrubber as best as I can with engine in place. I get my son this month so hopefully I can get him back fishing by next week after a few test runs to check for leaks and a general systems check.

Hope to be back fishing soon and see you out there!!
  • AlwaysforwardAlwaysforward Posts: 1,502 Captain
    Your welcome aboard the AF anytime Luis... :thumbsup

Truckdecal-signature.jpg
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 619 Officer
    A OK on the report Jeff! Congrats on a great day
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • SeneSene Posts: 174 Officer
    Nice job...I see you at the ramp often. Ill make a point to introduce myself next time. I envy you for being able to get out there as often as you do. Thanks for the reports....
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    nice job Jeff and crew!
  • GarboGarbo Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Dang....What a Great Report.

Thanks for sharing both words and pictures.

• Bite N HoldBite N Hold Posts: 1,328 Officer
    She will fish for the rest of her life!!!! It's great that she is that enthusiastic about it! What a trooper!
    FOR SALE-Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."
  • RockNReelerRockNReeler Posts: 1,067 Officer
    Great day for Amber, and you. Nice pics as always.
  • DarcizzleDarcizzle Posts: 94 Deckhand
    Your report has a well written story, humor, attention to detail, beautiful candid camera shots, videos & smiles! Great job Amber keep up the good work! :full Keep on reeling those monsters in, show those boys a thing or two :cool Can't wait to read your next Report. Tight lines!
    ~Darcie Lynne

"No Guts, No Glory."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file