Can braid be used on all stainless steel rod guides? Ugly Stick BWC-2202-70

Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 452 Deckhand
Trying to determine if the all stainless steel guides on the Ugly Stick BWC-2202-70 casting rods are suitable for use with braid. These are big one piece Tiger models rated at 30/60 lbs. I have one of the same blanks that was factory fitted out with guides with inserts. Great stick so I ordered 2 more and on arrival found the solid stainless eyes. There is a slight model number difference- BWCAO-2202-70.
thanks

Replies

• troutman561troutman561 Posts: 575 Officer
    I have used braid on US's lighter stuff with no issues.
  • MiamipescadorMiamipescador Posts: 696 Officer
    Its not reccomended by some because the braid will eventually start digging into the metal, specially on a rod like that where you will be using high drag settings. I would go with ceramic guides, or at least change the tip to SIC.
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,927 Captain
    I use braid on my medium lights all the way to my offshore rod ive never had a problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MiamipescadorMiamipescador Posts: 696 Officer
    I use braid on my medium lights all the way to my offshore rod ive never had a problem.

Are you using foul proof guides?
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,927 Captain
    im honestly not sure.
    Are you using foul proof guides?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,378 Admiral
    im honestly not sure.

they are talking about polished stainless guides , with out inserts ,your inshore rods have ceramic inserts.
    I have seen guys use braid with foul proof guides up in the panhandle ,I guess it all depends on how good the guides are.idk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file