Whats your personal Favorite Rod n Reel Set up?

i Love my 6'7" medium heavy fast action spinning carrot stick wild, with 2012 stradic 2500 fj

Replies

• Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Officer
    Sustain 3000, Teramar 7'6" 15lbs braid all around on Florida's West Coast in my opinion the perfect setup
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • MiamipescadorMiamipescador Posts: 696 Officer
    Shimano crucial 7'2 6-12, stradic 2500 fi 6 lb mono.
    Wish I had and fj for it though sooo smooth.

Also have a stradic 5000fj on a 7'6 10-20 star seagis. Good rod for pompano jigging and for casting the bigger lures. 10# super slick on it.
  • reel cowboyreel cowboy Posts: 565 Officer
    I built an MHX MB862 casting rod last year & paired it with a Chronarch 200E7. That combo is great for small twitch baits & big top waters.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Officer
    I love my little Daiwa TDA 2500A on a matching 7' TDA rod. It was in poor shape when I bought it for song, but after a little TLC, and some clearance braid, she purrs like a kitten. Okay, not quite, but it does get the job done, and for under $50.

I grab it instead of my fancy, expensive Shimano rig 4 out of 5 times. The fish don't seem to know the difference. :wink
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
    The fish don't know the difference. your right My Wife has informed me of this numerous times.
    The Original HOTD poster

• TheleadmanTheleadman Posts: 89 Deckhand
    daiwa im6 7 foot rod with okuma safina pro real (fav light)
    Penn senator 4/0 slammer combo (fav big boy)
    I also like wifes set up: penn pursuit on 7' ulgy stick
  • TedPTedP Posts: 90 Deckhand
    I built a spinner on a 7' American Tackle Viper blank and paired it with a Quantum Catalyst PTs 30. I used micro guides and it casts like a rocket. My favorite spinning rod right now.
  • SeeingRedSeeingRed Posts: 312 Officer
    7.5" teramar 10-20 and a 360 slammer.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
  • irishff727irishff727 Posts: 939 Officer
    7' mhx custom built with daiwa procyon 3000 still new but so far in love with it

From my phone which is hopefully with me on the water
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    This original gator blank 15-30lb not sure the model. And my cabo 40 is my go to set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 3,987 Moderator
    What application?

Light spin - a 7'6" Rainshadow blank I built, with a Daiwa Ballistic 3000.

Bottom fishing - private boat a 7' Batson TS 70 H I built with a Daiwa Saltiga 50

Bottom Fishing, Yankee Capts A 8'6" Graphighter 850H I built with a Trinidad 30.

Light Trolling - Ugly Stick GBU84-6 blanks (no longer available) :banghead I built with TLD 20's

Heavy trolling & swords - Same blank as above cut down and a Unibutt installed with Accurate 50W's

Fly a Ross reel on a #7 TFO TiCr throwing a #8 line

There are other combos, depending on the use. That's why I have so many rods & reels
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    Stradic Ci4 4000F on a 6-12 lb. fast action G-Loomis GL3 with 10 lb. power pro line. An absolute dream rod for throwing artificials, and/or live bait fishing pilchards or pinfish on the flats.
  • Greyt EscapeGreyt Escape Posts: 326 Officer
    TLD 25 on a 30-50lb rod. Braid. With a fat bull dolphin on the end. Or the 30wide international on a xxheavy rod with a milk jug and some lp mardi gras lights creating a disco party 300ft down in the middle of the ocean!
  • Alex GAlex G Posts: 71 Deckhand
    Artificials: stradic ci4 2500 w/ st croix avid inshore ML 10 invisibraid.

Live bait: sustain fe 4000 w/ star plasma 8-17 20lb suffix 832.

Bottom fishing: accurate bx600 on matching custom calstar 700h w/ 50lb mono.
  • kajokajo Posts: 4,619 Moderator
    Gloomis 10' surf mated to a van staal
    Then my st croix mojo 11' mated to a pen torque spinner
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,179 Captain
    Inshore spin- Fuego 2500 on a 7'4" Fisher GT40 graphite. 6lb suffix 832. (arties only)
    Inshore fly- Waterworks ULA force SL 3.5X on a sage Xi3 790.

Surf & jetty spin - St. Croix 4C79HF paired up with a sustain 6000FE, 40lb hollow core JB1 or Ace.
    Surf & jetty fly - Sage RP 1096 with a Van Staal C-Vex12.

Offshore spin- Carpenter WV80XF with a saltiga Z6000, 60lb hollow ace.
    Offshore fly - Biscayne 1pc 12/13wt with a Henschel #4 Dual mode.
  • sightin4redssightin4reds Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    7' med fast st croix legend tournament bass with a stella 3000fd w/ 8lb fireline crystal!!! Best artificial set up I have found.
  • tomtom69tomtom69 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    penn 430ss 7ft med ugly
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    i currently have 19 rod and reel setups, and if the ole lady don't watch me close, I'm about to make it 20. why? i don't know, but my favorite has always been the one with a fish on it.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 3,987 Moderator
    Inshore - a rainshadow balnk (don't recall the blank number) 7'6" with a 2500 Daiwa Ballistic
    Offshore bottom - Calstar Graphiter 850H acid wrapped with a Trinidad 30
    Offshore Ugly Stick blank I built with a TLD 20
    Fly - my new favorite rod, a Loomis Pro4X 8-9 Short Rod (7'6") with a 8 wt. Wulff Bermuda Shorts line and a Ross reel
  • fleaflickerfleaflicker Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Too hard to pick just one! If I had to though this would be my choice for Inshore and Surf

Inshore - 7'6" Penn Regiment w Shimano Stradic 2500.

Surf - FSA Surf 13' - 3-6oz w Akios 656CTM
    same as my original answer This thread will never Die

06-02-2012, 10:27 AM
    Shimano Sustain 3000-4000, Shimano Teramar 7'6" 15lbs braid

all around on Florida's West Coast in my opinion the perfect setup
    The Original HOTD poster

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,083 Officer
    I have no favorite just the right tool for the job. I do have go-to rods for each technique and am building more as I type.
  • TugasTugas Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    Yikes this is tough but if I had to pick today would be my saltiga 30T on phenix black diamond hybrid 9ft ... just does so many things for me
  • XafXaf Posts: 921 Officer
    Couple different ones but if I had to choose it would be my Saltiga 30 on a Calstar Grafighter 800XH that I extended to 8'6"
  • TugasTugas Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    Xaf wrote: »
    Couple different ones but if I had to choose it would be my Saltiga 30 on a Calstar Grafighter 800XH that I extended to 8'6"
    Butt extension ? A xh grafighter is what lb rating blank ?
  • CageyCagey Posts: 611 Officer
    Well one that sticks out right now is my 7' Browning medium baitcast rod with a new Shimano curado iHG on it. Just an incredible rod, light, balanced, and perfect action on it. Next behind it would be my Falcon Bucco micro guide series with a curado on it.
  • ShaneZippShaneZipp Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Penn Spinfisher V 3500 on a 8-17lb calico jack 7'6" with 12lb mono, works for trouts and reds on the flats but I've also pulled up some 15+lb snook and jacks
  • GettnreddyGettnreddy Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Just built my wife a 7' MHX P842 and paired with shimano 3000 fg with 8lb mono. Awesome rod and reel combo for inshore. Also, I built myself a 7' MHX Mag taper 842 and paired with shimano 4000 stradic ci4 with 8lb mono. Caught my personal best black drum on that and played with that one for 2 hours before boating. That set up undeniably the best I have fished with.
  • GettnreddyGettnreddy Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Gettnreddy wrote: »
    Just built my wife a 7' MHX P842 and paired with shimano 3000 fg with 8lb mono. Awesome rod and reel combo for inshore. Also, I built myself a 7' MHX Mag taper 842 and paired with shimano 4000 stradic ci4 with 8lb mono. Caught my personal best black drum on that and played with that one for 2 hours before boating. That set up undeniably the best I have fished with.
    I FAILED TO MENTION the drum was 38" and estimated at 22#s.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file