anyone fishing a Nautilus Monster...

rich49rich49 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
...for tarpon? Any issues? The weight of the Monster is hugely attractive, but I wonder if it will hold up to the rigors of multiple trips, multiple tarpon. I know it may be too soon to tell on this recently introduced reel, but any guidance would be appreciated.

Replies

• ZhunterZhunter Posts: 226 Deckhand
    I have seen it, and it is a must have for Tarpon or anything larger (aka bluewater). It looks like it will become the industry standard for size and weight, and the quality of a Nautilus is second to none.
  • freshfromthesaltfreshfromthesalt Posts: 138 Officer
    I just bought the Monster and although I have not yet used it on Tarpon, that's what I purchased it for. I have a number of friends who live, fish and guide in the lower Keys and they swear by this reel. With all due respect to Tibor, the Nautilus reels (because of their light weight, speed, drag quality, etc.) have become the industry leader, to many. Before I bought the Monster I purchased a Nautilus NV 10/11 G8 (Giga Arbor) which is the nicest reel I've ever owned. Since then I've added their: FWX 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 to my arsenal to match a 3, 5 and 6 wt. rods. These too are incredible reels. SO LIGHT!
    2000 Maverick Master Angler 17 -Catch A Fire
    www.freshfromthesalt.com
  • rich49rich49 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Useful comments--thank you! Debating between a Monster and the Pacific to replace a Riptide for tarpon. Need (or think I need) a large-diameter reel to pick up line quickly and a reliable drag to really crank down on a big fish in those last grinding minutes. The Pacific is a load--four ounces more than the Monster. Also like the fact that swapping out spools seems to be easy with the Monster and difficult with the generic Pacific (and extra spools for the Monster are less expensive). But my Tibors have never failed and the company's service record is second to none....
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,757 Captain
    I have a half dozen Nautilus reels at last count (give or take, it might be a few more or a few less) and they've been simply outstanding - doing everything I've asked of them in hard commercial service. Any of their larger reels (size 10 on up) will do just fine on the biggest tarpon (and since I favor 10's, 11's, and the occasional 12wt....) an extra large size reel (if that's what the Monster is) hasn't been on my wanted list. Seriously we beat fish up to about 150lbs with fairly standard sized reels every year. Can't say enough good things about their construction, performance, and durability where we use them (in the Everglades - occasionally at point blank range in small rivers against big cranky fish). Next time I stop by the factory I'll have to get a look at this new model.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • tj5485tj5485 Posts: 139 Officer
    The monster is a beast of a reel. I currently own a fwx 7/8 and the monster and love them both. The quality and finish is second to none. Im currently looking for any nautilus 10wt I can get my hands on right now because I don't see my self swaying away from the nautilus family any time soon.
  • Ross RRoss R Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    looks like the real deal. That reel is definitely on my wish list. We have caught large fish on the ccf 10 with no problems.
  • rich49rich49 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thanks to all, and thank you Capt. LeMay. Might be reaching closure here. My judgment of Nautilus has definitely improved. Just worry about durability--it seems too light for a reel that size that proposes to challenge fish that strong.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,201 Captain
    rich49 wrote: »
    Just worry about durability--it seems too light for a reel that size that proposes to challenge fish that strong.

It's more than adequate. I know of at least one 90lb BFT taken on the monster.
  • CpalmsCpalms Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I think I got one of the first production Monsters...Mine was flawless in Guatemala...
  • Capt.DinoCapt.Dino Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Just got mine & put it to the test on a big Tarpoon yesterday. The reel is awesome. Great product & customer service.
  • KMAG-YOYOKMAG-YOYO Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Hi,

This is my first post on here officially, but I have to say the Monster is one of the best tarpon reels I've ever owned. I've used Tibor and Abel and they're great reels, but the Monster has a lower start up inertia and is lighter plus just seems smoother (that could just be personal perception though) I'm looking forward to their G10 spool for it; the current one holds a lot of backing when you drop down to an 11 weight.

Good Times

Cor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file