5/27/12 Found a different kind of seaWeed and a small Dolphin

Headed out of Boynton Inlet around 6:30am with my buddy Chris, looked for some bait in front of the inlet and only managed about six sardines . Headed off shore to look for dolphin, came across a weed line around 450ft, quick troll, nothing. Decided to head way off shore , passed 750ft with some really nice weed patches, but already two many boats around, so continued out further to find our own, we saw a buoy of some sort floating in about 1,400 ft or so we thought it was a buoy. We saw some dolphin go by under it, so we threw a couple of sardines out and waited, nothing happening. Looking closer at this buoy in the water, I noticed it looked like it had some wrapping on it, so I joked to my friend, I bet its weed, so I hooked it with my gaff and sure enough when we brought it aboard, I cut it open and all my high school knowledge from 20 years ago came into play. We couldn't believe it, you always joke about when you go off shore, what would you do if you found some? Well fortunately I'm not in high school any more and I radioed the coast guard, they had me meet the Boynton police in front of the inlet.
On the way back in around 1,100 ft we came across some of the largest weed patches I have seen this year, so we made a pit stop and threw the last two baits out . There was a ton of bait under the patch , so I guess ours didn't entice any of the dolphin swimming around. So just for the hell of it, I put a goofy jig on one of my snook rods and sent it down, sure enough I got a nice fight going on light tackle. I get him in the boat, and I hear the coast guard calling on our radio , whats our 20, so we took off and headed in, I'm thinking at this time, I should of left that crap in the water, and continued fishing, but who knows if the next guy who saw it , wouldn't just keep it. Hopefully good karma is true, because I have the KDW Classic next week and I could use it.
Other than that, what a gorgeous day out and very fishy , Hopefully somebody made out big today.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• snooknUSMCsnooknUSMC Posts: 113 Officer
    Nice catch ;) and glad to see you did the right thing!
  • isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    Thats the way to knock the "skunk" off the boat!
  • SFCarlSFCarl Posts: 300 Officer
    HOLY MOLY was that a barrel of marijuana?

Edit: woooops missed the part where you said weed. HOW much do you think it weighed?
  • No CompetitionNo Competition Posts: 413 Officer
    That's a lot of regs right there!
    2007 31' Competition
    Yamaha 300HP 4-Stroke 4.2 liters
    Garmin and Furuno Electroincs
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    Was it any good,:grin look's water logged.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
  • BigCountryBigCountry Posts: 93 Deckhand
    YOu caught a Square Grouper!!!
  • Sea EraSea Era Posts: 491 Officer
    Yep: that's a square grouper. Haven't heard that in years, common saying in the 1970's. Man that's a bummer on the radio call with that patch.
  • OBX NativeOBX Native Posts: 131 Officer
    isla21 wrote: »
    Thats the way to knock the "skunk" off the boat!

Haha, we were just talking about running up on that yesterday with all those rips and patches out there.
  • Dominic74Dominic74 Posts: 727 Officer
    SFCarl wrote: »
    HOLY MOLY was that a barrel of marijuana?

Edit: woooops missed the part where you said weed. HOW much do you think it weighed?

It felt about 50 pounds, but it was waterlogged , dry it was probably 20-30#
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    That's pretty cool Dominic..... and good luck next week!
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,428 Admiral
    Dom,

That is hysterical!

Good for you ... doing the right thing.

Those cops will be really happy tonight!!! JK :grin:grin

That weed patch was absolutely huge. Nice phin buddy.

Congrats

Cheers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eric
    PLANE FISH N
    Was it any good,:grin look's water logged.

it was water logged, but dried out is still worth $100,000 at least , from what I've been told. I wish it was just the cash, don't think I would of gave that back:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • roweryborowerybo Posts: 2,091 Officer
    Good job on the dolphin, and turning in the stash
  • flys downflys down Posts: 60 Deckhand
    Nice gaff on the stash !
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Dominic74 wrote: »
    it was water logged, but dried out is still worth $100,000 at least , from what I've been told. I wish it was just the cash, don't think I would of gave that back:)
    Not these days lol...No one likes regs.. :)
    Nice day!
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,779 Moderator
    First reported square grouper I've seen. Wtg!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    Nice day I prolly would have reported it do. My luck I'd be running it back in to give to the cops and get arrested on the way in.

20lbs of regs. Isn't 100,000 a lb goes for roughly 1200 to 1600 retail for regs. Or so I hear. And that would have been sold wholesale so your looking at 500 or so a lb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • Get SumGet Sum Posts: 360 Officer
    Great story Dom, At least CG didn't make you stay out there all day until they sent a boat out. Reminds me of a trip when I was about sixteen, fishing solo 10 miles off Boca, found a whole suitcase floating out there. It was so heavy (waterlogged) I couldn't even get it in the boat so I cut it open hoping to find cash, (wishfull thinking). There were about 20 wrapped bricks of weed. Five minutes later, I saw a go-fast heading straight for me at high speed. (scared as ****) I dumped what I found and took off. Wondered for about 10 years: Just what if I.....

Good luck next week
  • robalorogrobalorog Posts: 495 Officer
    Nice gaff job.. So what was your 20? I will go out tomorrow and look for more bouys
  • hewes18hewes18 Posts: 757 Officer
    lol reggies are about $400/lb

looks like some dirt weed haha but good call on turning it in
    tumblr_lkaudd2RQQ1qg6fb5.gif
    Dominic74 wrote: »
    hewes18 wrote: »
    lol reggies are about $400/lb

looks like some dirt weed haha but good call on turning it in
    Yea , I'm sure if it was good quality it would be worth that, but this was mostly stems and seeds, like you said dirt weed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,257 Officer
    That's a lot of regs right there!
    That is sooo funny Paper Chaser.I may have had a hard time getting my "high school" buddies to be as honorable as you were with this gentleman's wise decision.:grin:hail
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    emoney991@outlook.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your square grouper made the news lol. Great catch!
  • SFCarlSFCarl Posts: 300 Officer
    snooknUSMC wrote: »
    Your square grouper made the news lol. Great catch!

Which news channel?!
    SFCarl wrote: »
    Which news channel?!

That's Funny, not sure it was news worthy, must be hurting for reports. Do you know which station?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Was local news not sure which channel my mother had on. But it was deffinately your catch lol showed a boynton sherriff with it. Said it was grabbed by a "fishing boat"
    http://m.pbpost.com/pbpost/pm_11247/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=46fWK06g Boynton Beach police pull marijuana bale from oceanPat Beall 05/27/2012 4:06 PM
    City police took a bale of ocean-going marijuana into custody this afternoon.

An anonymous boater had called in a report of the illicit weed floating several miles offshore. The bale was seized for investigation by two responding officers.

It's not clear how much it's worth: The bale was too waterlogged to make that determination, police said.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,344 Admiral
    been a while since I've come across a bale floating, found several off the keys many years ago. Wouldn't even think of "dealing" with it now. There's a time and place for everything, it's called college...........
  • BearmaticBearmatic Posts: 576 Officer
    I thought the square grouper were all gone.
  • captfrankmcaptfrankm Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    You found the infamous "SQUARE GROUPER"! In my high school days we called it "Sea Weed". :smoking
    "There's plenty of time to sleep when you're DEAD!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file