PC 5-22 Dolphin

I took a couple that has fished with me a few times in the past and one of my main fishing buddies offshore yesterday. We had 2 dolphin in the box at 1230. I was getting bummed. I had 3 dozen hoo's prepped with not much to show this late in the game. It turned on in the 4th quarter and we were cleaning dolphin until 11 pm. With a slow morning behind us we decided to pull lines n run out a little further. There it was, the weed line that looked like a guy Harvey shirt. Free jumping dolphin, fliers, small turns feeding on the surface, and the next two hours are a bit of a blurr. Biggest fish was 31 and we took 37 total. At least 7 or 8 solid gaffers aside from the big bull. Fun day for the Slack tide!!!!!!!
IMG_3493.jpg

Replies

• bluepitbluepit Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Holly Trolley :banana how deep
  • Kim ChiKim Chi Posts: 298 Deckhand
    Very nice! How deep?
    Kim Fraser
    Fraser Group, Inc.
    KimFraserHomes@Gmail.com
  • Look Out BelowLook Out Below Posts: 3,776 Captain
    Nice day for sure!
    smilie_dance.gif
  • IshIsh Posts: 797 Officer
    Nice day !
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 881 Officer
    I assume you guys caught the smaller ones in the upper right part of the pic before the decent sized ones?
    With a meat load like that it would seem like a waste to keep the baby's.
    Good haul though.
  • gatorrutgatorrut Posts: 342 Officer
    Nice Catch!
    2011/2012 Off Topic Tourney Pick Em Champion:hail
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Officer
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,659 Captain
    Great job on the fins
  • saltwaterstiffysaltwaterstiffy Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    That's a nice fourth quarter score for sure. You probably look like this today :full
  • captryan5878captryan5878 Posts: 203 Deckhand
    looks like an epic trip. congrats. how deep you get em?
  • Settin_HooksSettin_Hooks Posts: 233 Officer
    Very nice! I'm jealous :)
    2006 Maverick Master Angler SOLD
    2016 Sea Hunt Gamefish 25
  • Schrodinger's CatchSchrodinger's Catch Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Nice job Slacktide. I work with one of your buddies (Mainstream) and saw the pictures earlier this morning. Needless to say....jealous!
  • CaptBlazeCaptBlaze Posts: 96 Deckhand
    I can speak for Last Friday and Saturday, we were killing them in 400+ Massive line was in 450, and on saturday we picked up 5 under a submerged blue tarp mixed up in the weeds!!!
  • QualityTimeQualityTime Posts: 180 Officer
    Nice fish! Some one always has to make a smart ars comment though! All that meat makes up for the trips with out much....
    2010 Key West 211cc
    175hp Evinrude Etec
    :Rockon
  • Full ThrottleFull Throttle Posts: 151 Deckhand
    Well said Qualitytime!!

Heck of a trip, looks like our trip last sat, we fished that monster rip and weeds at the time it was 550, we caught over 40 dolphin, just me and a friend, it was fun kept our 20 and happy we did! Congrats again
  • TripleplayfishinTripleplayfishin Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Those are the days you remember. SWEET!!!!! :cool:
  • copoutcopout Posts: 144 Officer
    very nice work!!!!
  • SlacktideSlacktide Posts: 40 Deckhand
    I was fishing from 225 to 300 and that's where we pulled the spread and bailed further east. We caught 2 fish (one gaffer and one bailer) in that shallower depth. We were somewhere around 40 miles east of PC. when we found that fat weed line. Depth sounder was not reading the depth where we were at. Prob 8-1200. I never post on FS forum just because of the smart A comments. Thanks all of you guys, getting pats on the back makes me stoked to do it again soon. And for the record, not that it friking matters, but "beachsideandy" I slung dolphin in the boat for 2 hours big and small, 3 at a time, and could care less that a handfull were small. Every fish was legal by a few, I usually don't mess with peanuts but all we could do was target the bigger fish the best we could. Most all those fish were fine size to gaff. Each and every fish was cared for properly, vacum sealed and frozen. Is it like the strippa fishin in NJ bro?:)
  • ChumbagChumbag Posts: 381 Officer
    Slacktide wrote: »
    I was fishing from 225 to 300 and that's where we pulled the spread and bailed further east. We caught 2 fish (one gaffer and one bailer) in that shallower depth. We were somewhere around 40 miles east of PC. when we found that fat weed line. Depth sounder was not reading the depth where we were at. Prob 8-1200. I never post on FS forum just because of the smart A comments. Thanks all of you guys, getting pats on the back makes me stoked to do it again soon. And for the record, not that it friking matters, but "beachsideandy" I slung dolphin in the boat for 2 hours big and small, 3 at a time, and could care less that a handfull were small. Every fish was legal by a few, I usually don't mess with peanuts but all we could do was target the bigger fish the best we could. Most all those fish were fine size to gaff. Each and every fish was cared for properly, vacum sealed and frozen. Is it like the strippa fishin in NJ bro?:)

Awesome trip, congrats!
  • jdipietrojdipietro Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Went out Tuesday on a friend's boat and only managed a half a dozen smaller ones, mostly in 120'. That looks like an awesome trip. Wish we had made the treck out to deeper waters. Don't let the tire kickers discourage you from posting; the whole point of FS and other forums is to share successful trips and techniques. I get out so infrequently that I will keep all edible fish that are of legal size and within the bag limit and dually appreciate any info I can get before my trips. Tight work and tight lines!
  • PlumbLocoPlumbLoco Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report. Don't let the 5% of the jack holes stop you from posting. The rest of us are rooting for you.
    It's a good day.
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Very nice!
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • outtaline1outtaline1 Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    :beer Nice day for sure!!!!
  • ThumpThump Posts: 188 Deckhand
    Awesome! As mentioned, continue to post!
  • Greendog 2550Greendog 2550 Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Well said
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 881 Officer
    Slacktide wrote: »

No that's not like the striper fishing in NJ at all.
    I never said it wasn't legal, or that the fish weren't cleaned or frozen.
    You yourself said you usually do not "mess with peanuts".
    It's only my opinion, that's all. It's like an a$$hole, everyone has one.

If I already caught a small A$$ phin, and put it in the box, of course I am not going to throw it back after I put a couple of 20 pounders in the box.
    But, If I just put a couple of 20 pounders in the box, I am not going to keep a 4-5 pound phin. It's just not worth the tiny bit of meat I am going to filet off of it.
    Within only 2-4 years that fish will be 3-5 times it's current size.
    Have I ever kept small dolphin? Sure, they were either the first ones caught of the day, or they weren't going to make it from being hooked.

I am not a tree hugger and I eat anything I kill.
    Perhaps your fishing report did not need my smart-a$$ comment so I apologize if I got your panties in a twist.
    I have no doubts you guys are going to eat all those fish.
    It looked like a nice productive day of fishing so lets move on :beer
  • Capt George GozdzCapt George Gozdz Posts: 630 Officer
    Nice fish!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Capt. George Gozdz
    Host "Reel Time with Florida Sportsman"
    www.floridasportsman.com/rtfs

Flatlined Charters
    www.flatlinedcharters.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji