Some Carp action from the Bluegrass State!

KyTrkyHntrKyTrkyHntr Posts: 47 Deckhand
My home waters (Barren River Lake) has been below summer pool for a while now and that has the vegetation growing and my mud flats are just "green" now... With the lake coming up to Summer pool it's been a little tough to find "open" spots to get some decent shots at fish. You have to find spots with no weeds/grass to get a fly in there on mudding fish or fish looking for an easy meal. Some fish are still spawning up in the vegetation and I've never witnessed anything like it! After a couple of trips of getting humbled I connected on a hungry fish today and a few a couple of weekends ago.

From today... Found some fish up in the weeds, but I would either get hung up or put the fly right on top of them and they would bug out quick! Found one that was hungry!
GOPR2347.jpg

Feels good to get on a fish after getting humbled the last couple of trips!
GOPR2357.jpg

Here's a few from a couple of weekends ago!
GOPR1869.jpg

GOPR2061.jpg

GOPR2236.jpg

Fun fish to target and they can put you in your place quick! :grin

Replies

• MistermtdMistermtd Posts: 73 Deckhand
    See, now I'm trying the same thing on the TN river, but these fish are super spooky. The minute you pole withing any sort of reasonable casting range they bolt. Good job. Gotta get that sight fishing fix some how between trips to the coast.....
  • Travis GTravis G Posts: 490 Deckhand
    That's my home water!!! Just moved back this weekend. I harvest the carp in a different fashion though.
  • KyTrkyHntrKyTrkyHntr Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Mistermtd wrote: »
    See, now I'm trying the same thing on the TN river, but these fish are super spooky. The minute you pole withing any sort of reasonable casting range they bolt. Good job. Gotta get that sight fishing fix some how between trips to the coast.....

Being the Facebook ho that I am and based on my friends out west in the Denver area, those "river carp" seem much more spookier than "lake" carp IMHO.... It ups the game even more! They are fun to sight fish for sure!!
    Travis G wrote: »
    That's my home water!!! Just moved back this weekend. I harvest the carp in a different fashion though.

Cool!!! You whack'em with the "Matthews" or "Hoyt" rod??? hahaha
  • Travis GTravis G Posts: 490 Deckhand
    Got a recurve. I love it. If u get back this way holler at me on her and we'll go if you want
  • KyTrkyHntrKyTrkyHntr Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Travis G wrote: »
    Got a recurve. I love it. If u get back this way holler at me on her and we'll go if you want

Cool!! Appreciate the invite!
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Posts: 1,007 Officer
    I like how the carp look like they have a fu-manchu. Pretty fish!
    Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    Ankona Boats Sales Rep
    2018 Tavernier 17.....Coming Soon!!
    www.shadowcastcharters.com
  • Colonole1Colonole1 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    We sight fish with smallish flies in the lakes around here. Most productive, by far, is with small bobber above about size 8-10 booger (dark orange is good). 9', 3x flouro tippet. Look for a feeder in a hole among grass, set depth just off the bottom.Put it along it and just wink it now and then. Point is to keep the fly in the vicinity much longer. Less risk of spooking too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file