Hewes MBC attn all owners Fuel tank problems

I own a 21 redfisher the tank came loose found that MBC company are not securing properly they do not put any aft or foward
secure tabs on tank they use a epoxy compound and they wont step up to repair as they state only 5yr hull only and wont stand up for their product and cust service isnt there
so beware
I found this by chance this is a problem
look for me on Youtube will post pics

I had posted all pics on MBC web forum they removed as they know i am correct so please check all your boats
there is 2 ways of doing this

1 under console look for sending unit it shoud be in middle of axcess hole
2 drain tank and see if u can move foward or aft

remember if tank is loose and rubbing around damaging all under floor

This is what hold tank in rear Where the drain was rubbing on tank
Look at top of tank look at the screw on top of stringer thats next to the fuel lineATTACH=CONFIG]32846[/ATTACH]

Replies

• BobberBobber Posts: 862 Officer
    what year redfisher?
  • chasintails69chasintails69 Posts: 207 Deckhand
    05 they all should be checked as they went to mass production and moved drain from rear to the floor
  • JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    I know someone that had a HPX-V 17 and had to have the tank replaced. MBC put a fiberglass tank in the boat and the ethanol destroyed it.
    This is not an ethonol issue its a manufacture issue they dont secure tank properly and can be a big problem safty wise
  • PoonPoon Posts: 79 Deckhand
    Unfortunately, no surprises in your post (of the issue, MHP's response, and that the thread was deleted on THEIR website). Boat is out of warranty. Heck, imagine your frustration if the boat was covered, cuz you'd probably get the same answer, except with the run around. At the least, you give us used boat buyers some issues to look for.

Curious who you spoke to in customer service? Were they at least helpful, or did they go "corporate"on ya (ie. deny everything, and cover their ****)?
    **** wrote: »
    Unfortunately, no surprises in your post (of the issue, MHP's response, and that the thread was deleted on THEIR website). Boat is out of warranty. Heck, imagine your frustration if the boat was covered, cuz you'd probably get the same answer, except with the run around. At the least, you give us used boat buyers some issues to look for.

Curious who you spoke to in customer service? Were they at least helpful, or did they go "corporate"on ya (ie. deny everything, and cover their ****)?

They even said that was not a covered. even under hull warranty and yes basically blew me off
    have also a friend new hpx thats delaminating and wont stand up to factory fault
    Just beware of HBC they are not the company they used to be
    I also forgot to mention that Shallow water customs agreed that poor mfg was to blam for my problem
    and D & D Marine service who are doing all repairs to make boat how it should be
    Here is an email sent to the NMMA
    Hello my name is
    ==== I own a 2005 21 ft Hewes redfisher flats boat. During a rewire as was have electrical issues we also noticed water entering bildge from floor drain in the process of repairing floor drain noticed the fuel tank was not secure and from floor drain rubbed on tank it wore a hole in top of tank how long has it been this way i will never now Called hewes and they told me to bad

Now as an owner of a hewes there my be others out there that may have the same problem think about it fuel tank not secured properly fuel line being pulled off fuel in the bildge and some unexpected owner hits there jack plate and ignites fuel WOW what a problem

Attached are the pics of how they attached tank
    note there are no forward or aft brackets only on top of tank to the stringers they use a bondo material in the comers of the tank

And here is thier response

I don’t know you spoke with at Hewes, but I have forwarded your email to the President of the company. Did you buy this boat new or pre-owned?

Thom Dammrich
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,472 Captain
    Aren't you the second owner? Alot can happen to a boat in 7 years, especially with an unkown history. You never smelled fuel coming from your bilge? From the pics you posted on MBC it would seem that there would be a smell of fuel coming from the bilge that couldn't be missed, unless it was never checked.
  • LandononeLandonone Posts: 60 Deckhand
    Chasintail69. We talked on the phone and you emailed some pics of your boat. I didn't see your boat in person to inspect your issue. I don't like the fact that you have thrown out there that SWC has said it is poor manufacturing. I don't agree from what I saw from your photos on the install of tank, but I haven't seen the underside of the deck. Tanks should be tab in, but every boat builder does something different. I do a lot of work with different companies and they all handle these situations differently. By throwing people under buses doesn't get you anywhere. Sorry if I'm coming across the wrong way, BUT I don't need somebody saying what I might or might not have said!
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,806 Captain
    Chasintails69,

What possessed you to buy a 21 Redfisher to begin with, other than the fact that by its very nature it's a great theft deterrent?
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    One thing for certain, MBC ain't what it used to be. It's a bummer.
    Who are you a hewes rep covering your *** why did you remove post
    and no there was no leak and no smell but was getting close
    and the point of all this is that MBC did not secure tank properly no foam 4 3/16 or # 10 in screws to the top of stringers and no
    foward or aft supports lets be for real no bulk head to limit tank movement yes 7 ty old or in service date 11/05 so really 6 yrs and only 500 hrs so how much does that relate to
    Once again you bought a used boat with an unknown history and you are trying to blame it 100% on MBC, you have no idea what that boat was put through before you bought it unless you spent every waking minute in it. It is your job to maintain the boat, putting all the blame on MBC isn't the answer, and you sure won't get any help making all these wild accusations and dragging other businesses into the discussion.
    If you typed using complete sentences it would probably help people better understand what you are saying. Not trying to be a jerk but your posts are somtimes very hard to understand.
    FLDXT wrote: »
    Once again you bought a used boat with an unknown history and you are trying to blame it 100% on MBC, you have no idea what that boat was put through before you bought it unless you spent every waking minute in it. It is your job to maintain the boat, putting all the blame on MBC isn't the answer, and you sure won't get any help making all these wild accusations and dragging other businesses into the discussion.
    If you typed using complete sentences it would probably help people better understand what you are saying. Not trying to be a jerk but your posts are somtimes very hard to understand.

I had never tryed to put all the blame on Mbc was just trying to see if you all would just stand behind your product. Like I said I am rewireing boat was looking for you to stand behind your poor instalation of the tank and fix problem I would take care of rest.
    Now lets think about it only 500 hrs thats not even close to 1yr of use
    I don't work and I am not affiliated with MBC by any means. I own a 1999 Maverick, that is my only connection to the company and couldn't be happier. I don't know what you expect from them. You're not the original owner, its out of warranty, and you come on to two public forums flaming them instead of taking it up at a professional level by calling or bringing the boat by the factory to have them take a look at it.
  • Flats392Flats392 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    FLDXT,

Sorry to say but your are full of it. You can clearly see that the tank is not secured correctly on the aft end. There is no bulk head or brackets installed stopping the tank from moving aft. The tank is not even foamed foamed in place. Landonone stated that he didn’t agree on how MBC installed the tank.

This is a proper way of installing a tank.

Sorry for the grainy pic.

See the difference….. the tank has a forward and rear bulk head, it had been screwed to the stringer and glassed over. Now tell me again that Hewes installed that tank correctly.

By the looks of it, Chasintail isn’t looking for a hand out from MBC since his warranty has run out. Even if he was in warranty MBC stated that it would not be covered. (Which I think is BS). Chasintail is warning present and future Hewes to beware of this problem and correct it before it could be a problem and/or a life safety issue. Just imagine if the tank begins to leak and there is a small spark due to a electrical short. BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!

Chasintail….. thanks for the info……even thou I do not own a Hewes/Mav/Path or Cobia….
    Flats392, what am I full of? Where did I say that it was installed properly or not an issue? ALl I said that the boat is preowned, so nobody can be 100% sure of what that boat has been through, maybe wrecked, rebuilt etc..., and the only other thing I said is there are better ways of taking care of the issue then flaming MBC on a public forum. SO I ask again, where did I ever say that the tank install was acceptable or not an issue?
  • Flats392Flats392 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    The simple fact of you stating the boat is pre-owned/used for your bases of that tank not being installed correctly.

If the boat was rebuilt and the rebuilder was careless not to install the aft bulk head, wouldn’t you think there would be countless other problems because of their carelessness? Stringers problems, delam, cracking and so on.

How do you know that Chasintails didn’t try to take care of this in a different matter and posting was a last resort. Like I said, it may be simply the fact that he wants to warn present and future Hewes to beware of this problem.
  • CPJIIICPJIII Posts: 80 Deckhand
    Based on what the OP said he did try to address this in a different way. He contacted MBC and also made a post on their forum. MBC has taken the approach that they have with many. Delete, ignore, deny the issue. Based on some instances I'm familiar with I think the OP may be better off without the assistance of MBC. Hacking a boat in 2 with a Sawzaw is no way to rectify a situation.
    This was thier response and I did state that I was rewiring boat due to a electrical failures and did tell them on 04/01/2012 that boat while at dock almost sank from electrical problems so yes there would be a water line

email back fro MBC

Thanks for the pics, It’s kind of hard to see what moved, however there appears to be a sludge build up on the tank and a water line a few inches up the side af the stringers and fuel tank, a water line like this is consistant with water sitting in the bilge for long periods of time.Seeing the age of the boat and not knowing the history of the prevous owners this would not be a covered item under warranty. Ray AyresMaverick Boat Co.Parts/ Customer service772-465-0631x103
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,806 Captain
    Seems like people are confusing the issues.

Regardless of whether the boat had electrical damage or water damage, it sounds like what the original poster is saying is that the boat's fuel tank was not properly mounted on the day it left the factory.

That's all I'm taking from this.

It's not so much a "denial of warranty" issue as it is a "poor manufacturing practices" issue.

Thanks for the heads-up, Chasintails.
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,601 Officer
    TGunn wrote: »

Regardless of whether the boat had electrical damage or water damage, it sounds like what the original poster is saying is that the boat's fuel tank was not properly mounted on the day it left the factory.

It's not so much a "denial of warranty" issue as it is a "poor manufacturing practices" issue.

you don't mean that, and it's ok.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
    you don't mean that, and it's ok.

Hey Jorge just because you cant afford a real boat you wouldnt understand
    Dont need akks holes like you putting thier nose where it dont belong

Thank you TGunn

Im fixing boat as should have been in the first place. Putting a warning to all Pathfinder and Hewes & Maveric owners out there
    Hey Jorge just because you cant afford a real boat you wouldnt understand
    Dont need akks holes like you putting thier nose where it dont belong

dude ****! nobody was saying anything to you. you don't write well but is your reading comprehension as bad too? it sure seems like it.

not that you care but my take on it is that you bought a used boat not knowing it was messed up. now you want MHP to cover it for you. suck it up and fix it since you're so loaded with money and all. GMAFB! seriously **** did I do to you? put the straw down guy. I'm sure a used, beat up, Redfisher that sinks, is a sign of a rich person...
    friedpeacocks.jpg
    dude ****! nobody was saying anything to you. you don't write well but is your reading comprehension as bad too? it sure seems like it.

not that you care but my take on it is that you bought a used boat not knowing it was messed up. now you want MHP to cover it for you. suck it up and fix it since you're so loaded with money and all. GMAFB! seriously **** did I do to you? put the straw down guy. I'm sure a used, beat up, Redfisher that sinks, is a sign of a rich person...

Thats your problem Jorge you dont know when to just **** always in everyone deals
    And i know I speek for all /////YOU ARE F
    AKK hole

PS I have had boat for the last 2.5 yrs and knew the guy I got it from so if you dont know ****
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 645 Officer
    CT69,
    if your gas tank on your 2005, XYZ model truck came loose and moved would you go after them also? Probably not. Imho, you are doing the right thing by fixing it yourself and knowing that the install will be done correctly, then move on. MHP don't give a rat's **** about you or anyone else that has issues with their product and I know this from several owners.
    Tailchaser Yes i probably would. This is a safty issue tank was not installed properly and this is also to let all owners of these boats kknow that
    they could have issues also

PS most MFG companys would stand up as I have done alot of work for some major MFG and stood up to all issues
    remember recalls are made for a reason when saftey is an issue
    Chasintails69,

What possessed you to buy a 21 Redfisher to begin with, other than the fact that by its very nature it's a great theft deterrent?

If you can read this and understand it, you might begin to understand why I was messing with Tgunn. Unlike you, I am a friend of his, and apparently you don't understand his first post. I hadn't posted on this subject, nor opinionated on it. You decided to attack me for whatever reason it is that you have. Get over the fact that I never wanted to fish with you after that last time, or answer your phone calls. I have my reasons. Not everyone has to like you, or me for that matter as well. But you're the one with your panties in a bunch over your POS boat. You're just someone that I didn't want to be associated with. Good luck with your boat.
    friedpeacocks.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file