Vic Dunaway passed away

tagtag Posts: 8,732 Admiral
Vic Dunaway, an institution in the outdoors journalism world, passed away May 17, still active and sharp witted to the end. He was 81.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2012/05/17/florida-sportsmans-vic-dunaway-makes-last-cast/
Vic Dunaway, an institution in the outdoors journalism world, passed away May 17, still active and sharp witted to the end. He was 81.

Dunaway died peacefully of heart failure at an Ocala hospice facility.

A founding editor of Florida Sportsman in 1969, he also wrote and edited numerous books and had been a highly respected writer and television contributor nationally.

“Vic was the ultimate combination of talents and skills and demonstrated a unique ability to both know how to get the most out of the outdoors and then convey that material to his readers with wit and clarity,” said FS Founder Karl Wickstrom at the magazine’s headquarters in Stuart.

Dunaway’s popular Waterfront View column was a mainstay in Florida Sportsman through last year and he wrote dozens of articles after transitioning his life to Inglis and the Dunnellon area in the ‘90s, returning to the waters and woods of the Central Florida he loved.

“It’s inconceivable that he is gone,” Wickstrom said, “though Vic understood the ways of life and endings and he was at peace. He lives on in the foundations he laid, including the expanded digital enhancements of the Florida Sporstman network.”

“Vic’s guiding spirit is with us all the time,” added FS Publisher Blair Wickstrom.

Victor Alan Dunaway was born Oct. 10, 1929, in Fort Myers, Florida, where he may have been tying fishing knots in the delivery room. He was a journalism graduate of Florida State University and worked for several newspapers before becoming the widely read outdoors editor of The Miami Herald through the ‘60s, prior to the launch of Florida Sportsman.

He is survived by his daughter Mari, two sons, David and Dan, and granddaughter Victoria, whom Mari named after Vic and much loved by him.

Vic asked that his ashes be spread off Cape Sable in the Everglades and that there be no formal service other than a gathering of family which is planned. FS

Replies

• PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,262 AG
    :angel
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,657 Admin
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 703 Officer
    I am saddened to hear this. RIP Vic.

Jay
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    I was gonna post a few months ago when I noticed his stories werent in the front of the mag anymore.
    I learned so much from his baits, rigs, and tackle book when I first started fishing saltwater 20 something years ago.
    RIP Vic. You were a legend in my eyes.
  • tagtag Posts: 8,732 Admiral
    I
    I learned so much from his baits, rigs, and tackle book when I first started fishing saltwater 20 something years ago.

I learned so much from his book I bought extra so I can have one in my boat and one at home.
  • frankfrank Posts: 12,556 AG
    peace
    thank you for all that you taught us
    No political signature
  • SnookslangerSnookslanger Posts: 1,320 Officer
    RIP Vic
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbaaKhJZWMOL6wbI1uz1gMkBQR94dtr2Dn__x8NwzcVDRiVW5Gb-cOL-oj
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,351 Officer
    Thank you Mr Vic, for everything. RIP
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    What a great guy. I have loved reading his column since the early 70's. I had the honor of meeting him a few years ago at the Ft Myers FS Show. Truly a loss for us sportsmen and FS readers. I have his first edition Baits, Rigs & Tackle.
    FS Forum member since January 4, 2003
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,476 Admiral
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • FlyLowFlyLow Posts: 610 Officer
    RIP Vic!

:angel :angel

Baits, Rigs and Tackle has been my go-to book for years.
  • DemereDemere Posts: 1,464 Officer
    My thoughts and prayers to his friends and family. I always enjoyed reading his stuff.
  • avmechavmech Posts: 1,256 Officer
    RIP Vic :angel
    Member #10822
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,601 Admiral
    Vic was a great fisherman and writer.

I had the honor of fishing and working with him for many years.

RIP Sr. Editor
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • RRRRRR Posts: 8,218 Officer
    he was a good dude
    RIP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • springnutsspringnuts Posts: 1,354 Officer
    I have loved his columns for years. RIP Vic.
  • kckc Posts: 449 Officer
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,424 Officer
    acarb wrote: »
    Thank you Mr Vic, for everything. RIP

X2
  • BibBib Posts: 2,356 Captain
    Sorry to hear that.
  • loose_cannonloose_cannon Posts: 592 Officer
    I learned to tie many a knot from his book.

RIP Vic.
    Member #813
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,346 Admiral
    I will hoist a can of Vienna Sausages in his honor.

RIP
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,601 Admiral
    karl-wickstrom-vic-dunaway.jpg

Vic-Dunaway-Jeffrey-Camp-Photo-224x300.jpg

c035636.jpg

30558c1d1b430a7f023558.L._V192239103_SL290_.jpg

FPS1081.jpg

9-22-2006-6-00-38-PM-4726617.jpg

miami_fishing_3_vic_dunaway.jpg

51t-720Ns-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

c035614.jpg

51HhPVcSDFL._SS500_.jpg

51OV8V0NQuL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

0_0_0_0_287_442_csupload_28857218.jpg?u=32129176270_0_0_0_250_333_csupload_32176201.jpg?u=121795262
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,394 Captain
    Condolences to Mr. Dunaway's family and Florida Sportsman staff.
  • Michael RepperMichael Repper Posts: 4,897 Officer
    I was just reading to my daughter from one of his books not too long ago. He will be missed. :fishing
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    RIP Vic, we'll miss you and your wit.
  • KenKen Posts: 111 Deckhand
    My son wants to learn about fishing; I keep telling him to read Baits, Rigs & Tackle.

RIP.
  • DeadweightDeadweight Posts: 681 Officer
    My sympathies to Mr. Dunaway's family and friends, and to the FS staff. I enjoyed reading what he wrote. :angel
  • BnTBnT Posts: 6,644 Admiral
    Sorry to hear this... I have his books right next to my bed.. I actually was reading his "Baits Rigs and Tackle" book just on wednesday...
    RIP Vic, your books taught me a ton about fishing in the Florida waters.
    "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day... Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard"
    gandrfab wrote: »
    Sharky is always clocky, bnt is sometimes sharky,
    sharky is sometimes bnt, but bnt is never clocky
  • deerflydeerfly Posts: 711 Officer
    Very sad news and a great loss. RIP Vic, you will be missed. My sincere condolences to his family and close friends.
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra
  • erockerock Posts: 1,867 Officer
    Even alot of us Jawja boys knew who Vic was from an early age. He wrote some great stuff....RIP.
    flag-uga.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file