Nebraska Spring Turkey Trip

BCSAILSBCSAILS Posts: 435 Officer
As a "Florida Sportsman" sometimes you need to prolong your season so a trip out of state is required. This was our third year going to Nebraska to chase big Eastern Gobbler's. My brother, his two sons and I hunted west and south of Lincoln on public WMA's and private farms. We stayed at my nephews friends little hunting "shack" as you can see and had to rough it :grin
This was our best year taking four 20lb+ birds and had other shots. All birds taken were spot and stalk as they would not come to calls and really made it a challenge. Many 100 yard belly crawls were made. Saw lots of game and even had a coyote hit my Hen decoy as I just nodded off under a tree but had no shot after hearing a "thud" that woke me. I highly recommend Nebraska for anyone wanting to extend their season as the place is beautiful in the spring and Turkeys are all over the place. A few pics...

ek1.jpg
ek2-1.jpg
ek3.jpg
ek4.jpg
ek5.jpg
ek6.jpg

Replies

• flydownflydown Posts: 6,450 Admiral
    Yep, you really had to "rough" it! Lol!!

Looks like a beautiful place to hunt and you gotta love those decoy snatching coyotes. I had one do the same thing to me one year up in Missouri. His bones now lie in a ditch! You say easterns, but a couple of those birds sure do look like merriams.
    Congrats on a great hunt!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • BCSAILSBCSAILS Posts: 435 Officer
    flydown wrote: »
    Yep, you really had to "rough" it! Lol!!

Looks like a beautiful place to hunt and you gotta love those decoy snatching coyotes. I had one do the same thing to me one year up in Missouri. His bones now lie in a ditch! You say easterns, but a couple of those birds sure do look like merriams.
    Congrats on a great hunt!

Really, "Hybrids". You need to get way west for "pure" Merriams.
  • FLTXhunterFLTXhunter Posts: 516 Officer
    HOLY.....smokes! Nice birds and heck of a trip. I hunted public in IL this last weekend but didnt have that kind of success. Infact, we neve shot (or shot at) a bird. We found 3 but never had a good ethical shot so we passed. It's all in the hunt........right?
    Nice birds!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file