5-5 to 5-11 to and from Cat Island

privateer19privateer19 Posts: 322 Deckhand
Well after several weather holdups we finally got the green light for our extended Bahamas trip. The day started with some motor drama but after changing a couple of filters we were, at last, on our way! First stop was West End to clear then on to Chub. Fished the pocket for the last hour of the day and hit it bright and early the next morning. Trolling was a little slow but managed three dolphin and raised a White briefly but nothing else. The tuna this trip avoided us like the plague. Shallow water proved good as we got a nice yellow edge grouper, some tails and a nice hogfish Leon and Paul tag teamed on.
Next stop was Nassau for fuel and then on to Eleuthra. Along the way we snorkled around Beacon Cay and found some great shallow water wrecks with snapper and grouper but they were a bit stingy and gave us nothing. Fishing on the way was slow as well but beautiful non the less. Dinner that night was Chef Ramsay's surf and turf, steak and conch! After overnighting in a secluded and uninhabited little cove we got a good start and headed to the bridge. We spot a frigate, lines go in dolphin on. You can repeat that for the next two days. We caught so many dolphin it was embarassing. Consevatively we released 30 fish over 20 pounds and 20 over 30. In and amongst them there were a couple over 40 pounds, one that Leon caught on spinning tackle. Again raised a Marlin but could not get him to commit. Next we explored the coral heads at Half Moon bay and got some nice grouper. Water there and the structure are just awesome. A quick lunch of the grouper and we were on our way. We made the call to head to Cat and fish the Tartar Bank. So we fired up the Greykey and headed down. We had a great run found awesome weed lines and of course the bank was just alive with fish. More dolphin, some sharks and more snubbing by the tuna. We ended the day in the pool at Hawks Nest with a cold Kalik. The channel coming into Hawks Nest is a true wonder. It literally looks like you are flying over the bottom the water is so clear.
Next morning it was back to the bridge and a pinnacle to the North. More of the same with the dolphin. Decided to run and gun for tuna and headed to Spanish Wells for the night. Wind was blowing good all night and the next morning as we left. We went to fish Hole in the Wall and again came to a huge flock of birds with some Frigates mixed in but only small Skippies and of course more dolphin. Buttoned up and motored to West End. Spent the night in Blue Marlin Cove and left the next morning ahead of the weather. Fished a little on the way and again some small tune and you guessed it another dolphin! An easy ride to Palm Beach Inlet and then home.
I am struggling to capture the true essence of all we saw. I was amazed at the miles of and miles of beaches. The natural beauty of that area is unsurpassed by anything else i have seen anywhere in the Bahamas. I know it will be a while but I can't wait to go back.

Replies

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,473 Admiral
    nice report
    thanks
  • Yellowfin39Yellowfin39 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Nice report. Was your entire trip on the CC?
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Nice report - thanks for posting.
  • ReelBReelB Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Good report.
    Do you know the total miles and consumption? Would like to get an idea of the cost hit.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,052 AG
    Excellent report and awesome photos! Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us......

What is "Greykey"?
  • Guys, I did this trip from Jacksonville 3 years ago over 19 days. It is by far the best experience I have ever had on the water. Take some time, get your kids /friends/ signifigant other and do it! Thanks for the report!
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 322 Deckhand
    Nice report. Was your entire trip on the CC?

Yes, we either stayed in hoteld where we could or stayed on the boat.
    ReelB wrote: »
    Good report.
    Do you know the total miles and consumption? Would like to get an idea of the cost hit.
    Not sure but I can get it for you. Roughly it cost five guys $1200.00 each and that includes everything food, fuel, lodging for the most part, bait and booze. Ithink it was about 325 to Cat plus the running we did. One day in tough weathe 6 - 8's and the rest was a pleasure.
    Gary M wrote: »
    Excellent report and awesome photos! Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us......

What is "Greykey"?

She's a McKee Craft 28 Freedom best boat under 30' I have ever been on.
    Guys, I did this trip from Jacksonville 3 years ago over 19 days. It is by far the best experience I have ever had on the water. Take some time, get your kids /friends/ signifigant other and do it! Thanks for the report!
    Already in the planning stages!
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,658 Captain
    great report. thanks.

***THE GUY IN MY AVATAR IS BLAIR WICKSTROM***

• saltygator11saltygator11 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Great report, what were majority of the fish caught with?
  • Already in the planning stages!

The only advise I will offer, even though you did not ask lol, is try and avoid a schedule. You may find fish in a location and want to stay a day, a special hotel/ pub etc... and if you have a schedule you will have to cut and run.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,347 Admiral
    Wow, that's quite a trip in that boat, congrats!!
  • Flyers UpFlyers Up Posts: 655 Officer
    Great report, thats a trip i want to do or island hop from walkers all the way to Rum Cay.
    Great report, what were majority of the fish caught with?

They hit everything from big marling lures to cedar plugs. Mostly it was the Modcrafts with ballys behind them.
    The only advise I will offer, even though you did not ask lol, is try and avoid a schedule. You may find fish in a location and want to stay a day, a special hotel/ pub etc... and if you have a schedule you will have to cut and run.

I agree just let the fish and the weather determine where you go.
    Thanks to all for the kind words.
  • Bite N HoldBite N Hold Posts: 1,328 Officer
    Good stuff! I just talked to Leon about the trip! I can't beleive the fins you guys got into!!!! Can't wait till June when Leon and his tribe and me and my zoo head to Guana!!!!!
    FOR SALE-Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,074 Admin
    Great trip and report!
    The Bridge is truly one of the great places to fish.
    We've done this run a few times (staying in Davis Harbour on Eleuthera to fish the Bridge), and have usually had good luck with small YFT on the way down Exuma sound to Hawk's Nest. Our return took us through the Exumas, and we've also crossed the Bank to Andros from there.
    Unfortunately the price of fuel has made it difficult (we get 1/2 mile/gal.).
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    Good stuff! I just talked to Leon about the trip! I can't beleive the fins you guys got into!!!! Can't wait till June when Leon and his tribe and me and my zoo head to Guana!!!!!
    I'm sure it will be a blast. He keeps telling me about all the great fish he gets right from the shore. Makes me want to give that a try! Good luck to you.
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    Great trip and report!
    The Bridge is truly one of the great places to fish.
    We've done this run a few times (staying in Davis Harbour on Eleuthera to fish the Bridge), and have usually had good luck with small YFT on the way down Exuma sound to Hawk's Nest. Our return took us through the Exumas, and we've also crossed the Bank to Andros from there.
    Unfortunately the price of fuel has made it difficult (we get 1/2 mile/gal.).
    You are a brave man. The bugs at Davis Harbor at 5:00 pm no less, were among the worst I've seen over there. Just relentless. It was dubbed the House of Pain and rightfully so. But it's all worth it to fish the Bridge!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file