Near Shore Diawa Product Test/Shoot for Goliaths-Jewfish

I met up with award winning photographer Doug Stamm to get into a few goliaths and do some product testing with Diawa. Great guy with a great attitude. http://www.stammphoto.com/about.cfm

We went out a few miles off bonita beach. I used a "heavy duty" saltist rod with a Saltiga Reel with 150lb power pro. I've never been a huge fan with Diawa. I broke their rod on the first fish.. Go figure.. The Saltiga reel however was legite. Incredible drag pressure. The reel was a Saltist LD30 2 speed. I don't know if I would personally spend that much on a 30 but it is strong.

Bait was thick. Threads and Pilchards were getting mauled by 18inch spanish macs. Dropped a few live Spanish down and you know the rest. Also, messing around with a white jig produced a 30lb cobia follow. No commitment on that fish. After we caught a few goliaths I played around with the cudas on my 4000 size reel which never gets old.

Daiwa1.jpg
Daiwabreak.jpg
Goliath3.jpg
Goliath8x10-2.jpg

Replies

• bonitabobbonitabob Posts: 675 Officer
    Wow, nice fish! Doug sure does take some pretty pictures!
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,787 Captain
    Nice goliaths. What were the specs on that rod?
  • Shore Catch FishingShore Catch Fishing Posts: 127 Officer
    binder077 wrote: »
    Nice goliaths. What were the specs on that rod?

I think it was an 80 lb class rod. Ill try to find out for you.
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 408 Deckhand
    Nice , I fished with Doug a couple of weeks ago , great guy . ???? Is that a 2 pcs or did you break the rod ???
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,350 Admiral
    I know they have that foam grip way up the rod handle, but I think that contributes to rod breakage when you are grabing the rod almost to the first guide. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    Not enough leverage any furthur down on the grip. It may cause stress but it snapped mid tip not in the power portion at the base of the rod.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,350 Admiral
    There is the reason a lot of us just let others go chasing those big pigs. Damaged gear. and damaged bodies!
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Diawa Rods are trying to keep up, I looked at ther jigging rods and was quite dissapointed. They tried mimicking Shimano which I am not fan of either. I actyally bought a New Penn jigging rod, 6'0" fast action tip can handle jigs up to 8 OZ's for $129

I had a bunch of Saltist reels, 30, 40 and 50 H 6.3:1 gear ratio, for the price they are pretty good, great for grouper. But I did some horse trading and got Saltiga 40 and a Saltiga 35 2 speed, high gear 6.3:1, low gear 3:1 and they are pure beast and smooth.

Have the 2 speed on Calstar H800 , 7"10" I use in the Keys, having a second one made in 7 Ft, still have some friends that spin rods.
    Capt Bill
    Not enough leverage any furthur down on the grip. It may cause stress but it snapped mid tip not in the power portion at the base of the rod.
    I have a 80 to 100 lb Gator Glass blank on my rack if you want to put something together for pulling monsters off the bottom , I bought it a couple of years ago on a deal for another customer in naples , it is a beefstick
    JSTickum wrote: »
    I have a 80 to 100 lb Gator Glass blank on my rack if you want to put something together for pulling monsters off the bottom , I bought it a couple of years ago on a deal for another customer in naples , it is a beefstick

How long is the rod? I already have an international all roller 130lb class rod for the Goliaths as well as a 100lb tallus. However, I might be intested for a new rod for sharking if long enough. Could you pm me pics?
    Looking at that picture again of pulling the fish I have to agree. That forgrip is way to long.

Diawa seems to have the reels somewhat dialed in, but there rods need some work.
    Capt Bill
  • gitnerdungitnerdun Posts: 34 Deckhand
    First off, looks to me like the angler is holding the rod wayy too high (highsticking).

What does the length of foregrip have to do with a rod breaking? When you have a rod spooled up with 150lb line and the drag pegged with a goliath on the end there are a ton of forces at play instantly. Your rod, with the guides on top, wants to roll over when it is under a load. The tip end starts to twist around, you hold on and keep the butt/reel end from twisting. The result is what you have there, a broken rod.

I have a spiral wrap rod to prevent your issue. Look into one or convert your own into one.

I have a buddy who broke 2 shimano conventional jigging rods as a result of the tip twisting. The third one we converted to a spiral type and no more breakage.

You can get away with a smaller/lighter rod if it's a spiral
    Goliaths are rod breakers ...

Length of forgrip? better yet why did they make it that long.

My rods have 14 inch forgrips and way a way from the first guide

Seen spiral wraps 10 years ago...wasn't crazy about them.
    Capt Bill
    Hawkboat wrote: »

Just seeing one doesn't work you gotta try one to appreciate it. I have a 8 foot 30/50 that I made spooled with 100 momoi, catch goliaths too often, and let me tell you, it is a lot easier to control the rod without it trying to roll over on you. The long forgrip is nice when the rod is laid on the gunnel. My first guide is about 14 inches form the reel, to keep the line from touching the rod when loaded. The spiral is especially noticable when you are fishing for large fish under heavy drag. I made my spiral, it's no too hard to convert on and try it out.
    Here it is in action, not the best pic, but you can see I'm reeling and not fighting the rod.
    How long is the rod? I already have an international all roller 130lb class rod for the Goliaths as well as a 100lb tallus. However, I might be intested for a new rod for sharking if long enough. Could you pm me pics?
    it is 6 ' , with Alum reel seat and butt 7' 6" , I can send you a pic butt not much to see , it is a blank , I can also make it stronger by wraping it with dbl A thread and epoxy , I can make it any color and I also use anti fog and U V epoxy , been building them for 20 years , let me know
    Hawkboat wrote: »

I agree , those V W's will break most rods . In my catalogs those grips are listed as stand up Tuna and Billfish grips , it is a Cali thing
    Cali is big on Lamiglass..yea I know what the hell isthat? :grin

I just sold my last Lami, didn't fit to well down here but they where made out of E-Glass...got 15 guys together and ordered the 1143 honey colored blank..then off to the builders.

Just thinking maybe this belongs in the General forum since we derailed the original post...sorry guy, I owe ya one:wink

Love tackle talk.
    Capt Bill
    Ok started one in the General section, all welcome, inshore, offshore, beaches and piers.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?54573-Tackle-You-Use-Rods-Reels-Line-Etc&p=663106#post663106
    Capt Bill
  • GamekillaGamekilla Posts: 461 Officer
    Nice. I fished with Doug a few weeks ago....nice guy. Hope I didnt get the shirt too dirty for ya...
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,449 Officer
    Awesome report! Informative replies!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file