Full Moon Mango Madness with a side of Gag, ARS, and Red Grouper

Showed up at Mango's house and loaded the boat. Heading out to challange the GOM beasts would be Mango, Kokosing Lover, Manny (Mango's friend) and myself. Got the boat in the water sometime between 12:30 and 1 PM. Headed out of Blind Pass and started looking for the bait. Got a few cigars and runners and then headed out to about 100'. Started to drift over form fishy looking hard bottom and I get hooked up by a big fish only to have my knot to the swivel come undone. Not a good sign for me. A few more drifts with some small RGs and Kokosing sends down a live runner and gets hit hard. Brings up a nice 8-10 pound RG and looky there, my hook and leader hanging out of it's mouth. After a few more drifts and not much worth keeping, we push out further and end up in about 130-140'.
We commence to getting slammed by large gags, ARS, and even some monster runners. But the story on this stop was the resident Goliath/s who slammed everyone at least once. Ok, Mango's wasn't a Goliath, but really a 60 pound "Carbo". After deciding to move we tried another spot in the same area and got pounded with very large ARS. Fun for a bit, but sad to see such beautiful fish get released. We came for Mangos and with his reputation on the line, Jeff has to make the hard call to leave the fish in the deep water and get in shallower in search of the Goozers! After a 26 mile run we start to drift an area that Jeff claims is a Mango hot spot.
As if on cue, we start banging out the Mangos and not just everyday, party boat Mangos. Beastly, Ginormous Mangos. Top 5 fish all over 5 pounds. Ended up with 20 Mangos, 1 RG and 1 Scamp. Had a great time and learned not to send down a Goliath bait while locking down your drag and leaving your rod in the holder. Thanks Manny for that lesson.

Replies

• jj lynnjj lynn Posts: 632 Officer
    :thumbsup
    Nice fish guys
    When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work, because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous
    by letting the American Government
    take care of him;
    better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford
  • High VoltageHigh Voltage Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Nice report and catch! How do you rig for the mangroves? I have yet to catch any while grouper fishing...

Team High Voltage
    Bluewater 2850
    Team High Voltage
    Bluewater 2850
  • shouldabeenworkinshouldabeenworkin Posts: 60 Deckhand
    jj lyn, your permant post has it just right, I make real good money, I've worked my **** off to get here, I still go home every day with dirty fingernails and BO that could gag a maggot and I am just about ready to to check out or the "recordable" economy. When people like me who make good money but can't hide it because we need it to risk again on expansion give up this country is done.
  • flatsrunnaflatsrunna Posts: 524 Officer
    good looking fish gents !!!
    Captain Anthony Leverett of Kingdom Business Charter's.
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    Its easy when being Captained by a highly trained professional
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • Navy_FishingNavy_Fishing Posts: 812 Officer
    Its easy when being Captained by a highly trained professional
    My lord, what does he have on you?
  • LilcthefishslayerLilcthefishslayer Posts: 607 Officer
    Nice catch guys!!! Fishing is going off right now. Can't wait to get out.
  • flatsrunnaflatsrunna Posts: 524 Officer
    Hes got the goods on esd?

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2ikypv
  • sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    Sounds like an awesome trip. Those are some really nice snapper. Thanks for the report.
  • jj lynnjj lynn Posts: 632 Officer
    My lord, what does he have on you?

:rotflmao
    When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work, because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous
    by letting the American Government
    take care of him;
    better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,382 AG
    Good job guys.
    I like the Mr. E driveway shots:thumbsup
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
    Holy crap! 6.6lbs!! How long is that fish, my biggest was 21" caught in the port of tampa, how much do you think that would weigh?
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/
  • jewfish7jewfish7 Posts: 517 Officer
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,001 AG
    Nice report and catch! How do you rig for the mangroves? I have yet to catch any while grouper fishing...

Team High Voltage
    Bluewater 2850
    Lighten your tackle up. We were knockin' and Will (Kokosing) & William (Navy Fishing) were killing em.
    Good job guys.
    I like the Mr. E driveway shots:thumbsup
    That thought came to my mind too Jerry. Kinda a miss the Old Salt.
    Holy crap! 6.6lbs!! How long is that fish, my biggest was 21" caught in the port of tampa, how much do you think that would weigh?
    3-4 lbs, depending...Some of the Mango's were real Goozers and some really nice fish became unbuttoned.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Look Out BelowLook Out Below Posts: 3,776 Captain
    Nice I want some!
    smilie_dance.gif
    I just wanted to add this. I got down cleaning the 10 snapper I brought home and had 22 pounds of filets. I would also be remiss if I didn't thank Mango Man for having me out on his boat and not banning me from bringing my "snapper" rig. I can only hope to be invited back out.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 359 Deckhand
    It was a great trip with pretty constant action. In spite of a few nuisance fish, the end result of the trip was a very respectable box full of outsized mangrove snapper. Only one keeper red grouper caught, but part of him got cooked up tonight and the end result was mighty fine. Jeff, the end result was almost "tuna" good if you catch my drift :wink. On the negative side, my kitchen looks like a disaster area after prepping a seven course meal. I figure if I leave it as it is, I might be able to get me a FEMA check from the government though. I only took a couple of pictures from the trip because I was too busy catching fish, especially once we got onto the mangrove bite. Oh, and that big mangrove was 24" long and THICK.

Here is one of the ridiculous shows in the deeper stuff.

060.jpg

Don't I look happy to be catching this fish?

061.jpg
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,696 Admin
    Nice Catching.......I'm missing the left coast more and more these days. Way to go guys.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 301 Deckhand
    Super Mango!
    I just wanted to add this. I got down cleaning the 10 snapper I brought home and had 22 pounds of filets. I would also be remiss if I didn't thank Mango Man for having me out on his boat and not banning me from bringing my "snapper" rig. I can only hope to be invited back out.

Any time William, you are always welcome. ;)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • groupernuggetgroupernugget Posts: 54 Deckhand
    good work! I see some vermillions too. We were all over those lil' guys too. Tasty morsels...
  • Deadeye07Deadeye07 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    great job guys... I hate I wasn't able to follow you out... A big group trip would have been fun
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,883 Moderator
    Outstanding Capt. Jeff and crew, the furuno show is incredible, way to put'em on the fish. Some goozers in the box for sure.:fishing
    Will, I didn't catch that the first time around, glad it turned out "Tuna good" for you. :wink

Abraham Lincoln
  • TiderunnerTiderunner Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Not a bad day for a rookie Capt :blowkiss Just wish I could get the Bluewater out:banghead
    Bluewater 2550, 300 Suzuki
  • Go SkinnyGo Skinny Posts: 116 Officer
    Well done capt
    Fishing is not just a hobby but a lifestyle
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Officer
    Nice catchin'! :beer

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
    Got TA Go wrote: »
    Nice catchin'! :beer

Rob

I hope we can hook up while I am down in KW. Would love an assist with some Muttons.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file