Yamaha 150 four stroke owners take notice

gatormarkgatormark Posts: 2,240 Officer
there is a major failure issue with the harmonic balancer on these in line four strokes. My buddies shop has done well over a hundred but yamaha is not making it a recall issue, dont know why. If you own one get it to your dealer and tell them you noticed a high pitch whine in the motor, the nylon gears are failing. My motor is a 2005 with only 81 hrs but they failed to warranty it, they know there is an issue so I think I will contact the rep with my complaint.

Replies

• IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    My guess is that no engine manufacturer will honor or warranty a problem on a 7 year old engine. It will be interesting to see . . . . . . . . . . .
  • gatormarkgatormark Posts: 2,240 Officer
    The problem goes back to motors built before that time, yammie has an ISSUE with this balancer and they know it. They also know there are more of these out there than any other model 150 so its been hush hush. I was in the outboard repair business for 17 plus yrs certified by merc,omc and yammie. There are warranties called policie where the customer eats the labor and the man eats the parts. OMC was very good about it if I assured them the unit was well maintained and a loyal customer.
  • maxim1010maxim1010 Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    I gotta agree with idle, you expect a nearly 8 year motor to still be under warranty??? Also what the name of your buddies shop that has done "over 100"? Seems like a reach...

I owned a F150 and it was BULLETPROOF, without a doubt the most trouble free motor in ever! There's a reason it's the world's #1 selling motor. It's my understanding it outsells #2 motor by twice!
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    Shop here has a stack of 20 or so waiting for the next one. I asked him why so many... You guessed it.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
    tater, what kind of motor(s) you own by chance?

CaptTater wrote: »
    Shop here has a stack of 20 or so waiting for the next one. I asked him why so many... You guessed it.
    Uhhhhhhhhhh, not making this up, there is a issue here dont care how many 150,s you have owned. And regardless of years old, the hrs are waht really matters now right. Ever hear of 10 yrs or a 150000miles? Anyway do what ya want with this info, ya keep running it you may find yourself 50 miles from the ramp broke down.
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,851 Captain
    Well now that I know this I am afraid to use my boat again. Anyone got an old Mercury 150 or maybe a carbed Johnson they want to trade straight up for my Yamaha F150 with 200 hours?
    Got pictures of the failed part but why post them, you can let me know when ya break down 30 miles from the ramp .
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 788 Officer
    I had the same thing. 500 hrs on a 2005 F150. $500 repair. San Carlos Marine. No big deal. Had I taken it in several years ago when I first heard the "whine" it would have been warrantied. Live and learn. Supposedly after 2005, the balancers are an alloy not plastic. SCM has only had one with a catastrophic failure. All 2004 and 2005 motors (F150) will need them replaced.
    Uhhhhhhhhh, later models also have the issue,as new as 2010 hello. Just spoke to theyre rep, they requested a copy of the work order. Like I said, its an issue.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,699 Captain
    gatormark wrote: »
    My motor is a 2005 with only 81 hrs

Maybe the problem is exacerbated by lack of use? :wink

Seriously, this is a good tip for what's apparently a real problem. Warranty issues aside, if I had a F150 I'd be grateful you posted.
    Uhhhhhhhhh, later models also have the issue,as new as 2010 hello. Just spoke to theyre rep, they requested a copy of the work order. Like I said, its an issue.

Then get it fixed. If a 2010 has the issue, it's under warranty.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 Officer
    What does it cost to fix if you are out of warranty ?
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
    As I said before, 30 miles offshore and it breaks, who cares if its warranteed at this point in time? YOU ARE SCREWED. I sometimes wonder why people have dropped from the forum, now i know. A guy with 17 plus yrs in outboard repair makes a post trying to help folks out and you get smarta$$ replies from wise a$$es. Have at it kids, good boating.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,699 Captain
    Hey! I said something nice along WITH my wise a$$ remark. You ain't mad at me too are ya hoss?
    Hey! I said something nice along WITH my wise a$$ remark. You ain't mad at me too are ya hoss?

Not at all trep, Im just trying to save folks a few bucks and a bad day offshore or 10 miles south of lostmans if ya know what I mean. And the 81 hrs on the kicker? when I got the boat from my freind it had 23 hrs on it at 4 yrs old. His ole Daddy lost the battle to cancer and he had a hard time parting with the boat. Its stayed in thyre fab shop under a cover for two years. I made him a fair offer on it and he parted with the boat, its a cream puff, 70 % fresh water before I got it. I told him your Daddy would kick you in the butt if he knew you let the boat set so I got it. Anywho.....just trying to help folks out, I was in the biz foir awhile and just like to help out. Later.
    You got smart *** remarks cause your post deserved it. EVERY motor can and will break down, you take a minor issue YOU had and claim major problems on every F150, etc,etc. Thats the great thing about the internet if someone has a problem anyone can blow it completely outta proportion! If you don't like the motor, fix it and sell it. The demand for this motor is incredible. I hear FICHTs are pretty good motors...lol
    As I said before, 30 miles offshore and it breaks, who cares if its warranteed at this point in time? YOU ARE SCREWED. I sometimes wonder why people have dropped from the forum, now i know. A guy with 17 plus yrs in outboard repair makes a post trying to help folks out and you get smarta$$ replies from wise a$$es. Have at it kids, good boating.

Wow, lol.
    What does it cost to fix if you are out of warranty ?

Mine was $529.
    The problem goes back to motors built before that time, yammie has an ISSUE with this balancer and they know it. They also know there are more of these out there than any other model 150 so its been hush hush. I was in the outboard repair business for 17 plus yrs certified by merc,omc and yammie. There are warranties called policie where the customer eats the labor and the man eats the parts. OMC was very good about it if I assured them the unit was well maintained and a loyal customer.
    Hmm not sure why it matters but:
    2x300hpdis that have been all but flawless despite going under water. Just lost a lower unit as my first real repair.
    Tracked down and now have a contract on a World Cat 330 with 2x300hpdis since the others did so well for me.
    I would rather have verados but I've never seen either regs or WCs with them Suzuki's and Hondas seem like a service nightmare.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
    CaptTater wrote: »
    Hmm not sure why it matters but:
    2x300hpdis that have been all but flawless despite going under water. Just lost a lower unit as my first real repair.
    Tracked down and now have a contract on a World Cat 330 with 2x300hpdis since the others did so well for me.
    I would rather have verados but I've never seen either regs or WCs with them Suzuki's and Hondas seem like a service nightmare.

Wow, Tater, you've really come around on the Yamaha's, lol! I'm shocked.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,324 Moderator
    GatorMark Thanks for the information. Not sure why your getting any flak for your posting. You even had a guy say the same thing happened to him. No Brand is perfect especially when you move through entire lineups like you get in a shop enviroment. Some have such blind brand loyalty that they feel insulted if you tread on what they feel is sancrosanc(sacred). Its obviously something to check on if you actually own one.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
    gruntking wrote: »
    Wow, Tater, you've really come around on the Yamaha's, lol! I'm shocked.

I wouldn't go that far but these have been good. I still hate the company charging $500 for a Mitsubishi starter or $100 for a **** filter and limited 3rd party parts like Arco. I would likely never choose new yamahas by choice.
    You are welcome cat, the reason I have caught flak is the children on this forum dont appreciate help when its handed to them. As I said, I have 17 plus years as a certified outboard tech in OMC,Merrc and Yamaha. I also know how issues are swept under the rug by ALL of the manufactures so I was trying to save a few folks a bad day on the water. Has this issue caused major damage? yep. Being that its yammies best selling kicker do they want to recall it? nope. Imagine that. Your right though, some yuppies feel like you are calling them a **** because they run that brand along with wearing the gear with the logos which cracks me up.There is one thing about internet forums, its mostly youngsters who use them and some of these youngsters have little manners, a failure in theyre upbringing common in todays generation.

Catmandew wrote: »
    GatorMark Thanks for the information. Not sure why your getting any flak for your posting. You even had a guy say the same thing happened to him. No Brand is perfect especially when you move through entire lineups like you get in a shop enviroment. Some have such blind brand loyalty that they feel insulted if you tread on what they feel is sancrosanc(sacred). Its obviously something to check on if you actually own one.

CMD
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,851 Captain
    Hey Mark, do you have any experience in the outboard repair industry? You may have already posted it half a dozen times but I probably missed it....
  • Southern StyleSouthern Style Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    I'm with Gator on this one. I had twin 2007 F150's with about 300 hrs when the port engine started to generate a slight vibration. It wasn't terrible but was noticable when compairing to the starboard engine. They were due for a service so ask the tech to check it out...bad balancer. Was replaced under warranty, two months later same story with starboard engine. Would I buy another F150... without hesitation. Yamaha honored the warranty and all was well. At the least, it's worth being aware of the symptoms to address any issues before a failure.
  • yamdog250yamdog250 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    My last motor was the 150 and I had the exact same issues being discussed by the OP. Very frustrating. I changed rides just to be done with it. The 250 has been flawless, but it's an HPDI, not the four stroke.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,647 Captain
    Yea I know two people with them one is the older one and he had to have his HB replaced, caught it just in time. The other buddy has a brand new 150 and had to take it into the shop with 17 hours on it, oil leaking out the lower end.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • BluebirdBluebird Posts: 126 Officer
    i too had the balancer go out on my whip after about 800 hrs. But when it went so did the whole engine. Luckily Yamaha and i came to an agreement where they provided parts and i paid the service. 9k in parts later i have a new motor :banana bill to me was about 2k.
    Sonny, I forgot more about outboards and boats than you will ever,ever know. Which by the way aint much. Hows the livin in Gadsen County by the way?
    JKP wrote: »
    Hey Mark, do you have any experience in the outboard repair industry? You may have already posted it half a dozen times but I probably missed it....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file