Corn in chum

2»

Replies

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 534 Officer
    Chum, sand, and oats = Fried Yellowtail
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 991 Officer
    I add corn to the chum I make along with cat food, bunker oil, steamed fish and glitter. But I run the corn through a blender first.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,815 Moderator
    surfman wrote: »
    I am sorry i just can't see corn killing a fish. I am sure the fish can poop it out okay. May have to strain a little but, I've been there too.

Yeah, me too.

EDIT:
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    I wrote to ask fwc and ask them, this is the response I got back.

FWC has no regulations with regard to the use of corn as a chum ingredient. I am a bit surprised to hear that the snapper actually consumed the corn as this would certainly not be a part of their normal diet. Did this happen on April 1st? It seems like a lot of strange things happen on that day for some reason. Please give me a call if I can be of any further assistance. Thanks, Alan Peirce (850-617-9647

So go ahead and put corn in your chum, it really seems to work.

Solves that. Although, "I'm a bit surprised to hear" that the FWC fella had a hard time understanding why a snapper would eat a kernel of corn.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • ncdeadncdead Posts: 536 Officer
    Good cheap chum....a bag of dry cat food, add menhaden oil and salt water in milk jug. Let it sit for a while and cat food will absorb the oil and water and swell up. Cut a few holes in it, add some lead weighs to hold it under water ..tie it off and drop it the drink.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,857 Captain
    ncdead wrote: »
    Good cheap chum....a bag of dry cat food, add menhaden oil and salt water in milk jug. Let it sit for a while and cat food will absorb the oil and water and swell up. Cut a few holes in it, add some lead weighs to hold it under water ..tie it off and drop it the drink.

Yea if you want to catch cat fish. :)
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • seaguy 10seaguy 10 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    My uncle has used popcorn for ever soaks in in Manhadden oil and water, works real good. I prefer to stick with oatmeal
  • BobSBobS Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I know this is an old post but I gotta tell you, that's funny, I don't care what anyone says....
  • BobSBobS Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    He was right
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Some years ago went out fishing from Boca Raton.A relative brought down 100lbs.of cracked corn
    I guess to feed the birds.So we brought along some of this corn and decided to see if it was
    any good for chum.
    So whenever we caught a yellowtail,they came up spitting out corn.Kind of a mess
    all over the boat,but it does work for chum.
  • Lake-LinkerLake-Linker Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    edited April 21 #41
    fish_stix said:
    There's so much BS and ignorance in this post I know it didn't come from eating corn! Yellowtails, one of the nastiest fish in the sea? They eat something because they can get nutrients from it; same as any snapper, grouper, flounder, redfish, or any species of fish. Uncooked rice does not expand in the digestive system of fish, people, bears, dogs, intergalactic aliens or anything else. Eat a spoonful and check your t**ds 24 hours later; you could clean the rice up and reuse it!! And, if a yellowtail can pass a 1/4oz freshwater worm sinker (I finished pulling it out) then a mere kernel of corn is headed right on through.

So uncooked rice fed to seagulls doesn't make them explode? Awww. I've heard that story several times over the years.

I think it was Crystal River SP where I stopped at "the mullet hole" because - when out riding my motorsicle - I stop at every unfamilar shorefishing spot and boat launch for a look-see. There I saw a ton of old geezers fishing for mullet using big bags of generic oats tossed by the handful as chum,and small balls of "oatmeal" on hooks for bait.

I'd think the oats would be available (and inexpensive) where-ever horse feed is sold...And I think it'd make a great chum for other species as well....But what to I know - I'm only in FL for 6 weeks per year,I'd rather catch mullet with a cast net - for bait - and there's plenty of other fish I'd rather eat.

But if it keeps Grampa busy and out of Gramma's hair for a few hours every day...
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 534 Officer
    I've been chumming Yellowtails for over 40 years and never felt the need to use corn. As for the sand conundrum, if you're fishing over sand bottom (where I fish most of the time) what difference does it make. I can say that using sandballs in deepwater is the most productive way of catching Yellowtails there is. I enjoy chumming the fish to the surface, but sometimes they are not going to come out of their comfort zone and you have to go with the sand. Oats, sand, and chum will get the job done. I feel that the Yellowtails will pass the corn, but why bother?
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    When I lived in Delaware, we would chum for winter flounder with corn.  Just about the tastiest fish in the sea.  Why they like corn, I do not know.  But surely worked.  By the way, winter flounder would show up in October, and leave by May.
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,032 Admiral
    I imagine even if they couldn't pass it, they would spit it up like bass do with crayfish shells or salt fish do with crab shells.

That being said, is cream corn ok?  :)

Captain Todd Approves

• NitzeyNitzey Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    Well, when I cleaned winter flounder, they often had lots of corn in their intestines.  So, no, they did not spit the corn out.  As I said, I do not know why corn worked, but frankly my guess is it looks like fish eggs.  

However, maybe we should try other vegetables.  How about peas, or carrots or broccoli?  
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 105 Deckhand
    The funniest thing about this post is the fact that most people didn't get the absolutely funny, sarcastic, and troll-like FWC response - finally someone in government with a sense of humor - LOL.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 161 Deckhand
    Q: How do hockey players stay cool?
    A: By sitting next to the fans.
    http://www.floridasportsman.com/2018/04/30/poor-mans-paella/
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file