Corn in chum

chiliandochiliando Posts: 609 Officer
Caught a bunch of yellowtails on saturday and as we started cleaning them we found corn in them. My buddy said that chumming with corn was illegal cause the fish can't digest it.

Is it my buddy right?

Thanks.............

Replies

• ThefourseasThefourseas Posts: 320 Deckhand
    Neither can we...
  • ReelhootReelhoot Posts: 251 Officer
    But, a deer can!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p341728

FOR RENT: Beautiful 2 bed 2 bath condo in Hunter Springs, Crystal River
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,349 Officer
    I caught some yellowtails that were full of corn of Boynton a while back and was told it was ileagle also. The fish cant digest it and whoever is chumming with corn will kill every fish on the reef that was in the chum slick. FWC officers should stop and check the chum bags for corn when they are out in the fishing grounds, cause this kills way to many fish. Dont know how long the corn was in the fish but it looked like it had just come out of the bag, no sign of digestion at all, and it was still hard.
  • blogsblogs Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    yes, maybe.g.gif
    Reelhoot wrote: »
    But, a deer can!!!!!!!!!
    Deer can because they rechew there food like a cow, this grinds up the corn into a fine mash that is digestible, people can digest corn, we just dont chew the kernals good enough. This is evident by the whole kernels in the toilet. But the stuf covered in butter, salt and pepper is [EMAIL="d@m"]d@m[/EMAIL]n good.
  • G8trbaitG8trbait Posts: 126 Deckhand
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    Deer can because they rechew there food like a cow, this grinds up the corn into a fine mash that is digestible, people can digest corn, we just dont chew the kernals good enough. This is evident by the whole kernels in the toilet. But the stuf covered in butter, salt and pepper is [EMAIL="d@m"]d@m[/EMAIL]n good.

cows have anaerobic bacteria the digest the cellulose in grass corn etc. Without it they couldn't digest it either like humans. Luckily for us the by product of such a process is methane.............a crap load of it :rotflmao
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,015 Captain
    Reelhoot wrote: »
    But, a deer can!!!!!!!!!
    031b7b7a.jpg
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • Bite N HoldBite N Hold Posts: 1,328 Officer
    LOL!!!!! You see your honor, look at the sign I put next to the feeder. I wasn't baiting the deer.
    FOR SALE-Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."
  • king 1king 1 Posts: 257 Deckhand
    :funnypost:funnypostOTE=Slug-O;577977]031b7b7a.jpg[/QUOTE]
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,852 Captain
    Why would the corn kill the fish? That makes no sense, they would just pass it through their digestive system like anything else they eat that is not digestible. Can someone show me the regulations that say chumming for fish with corn is illegal. I have never done it but it sounds like it works.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • breambream Posts: 74 Greenhorn
    It's not in the regulations. Someone said someone heard it was illegal, then nobody checked the regs.

BTW, I asked an FWC officer who does saltwater work, and he looked at me like I was dumb for even asking this.
    surfman wrote: »
    Why would the corn kill the fish? That makes no sense, they would just pass it through their digestive system like anything else they eat that is not digestible. Can someone show me the regulations that say chumming for fish with corn is illegal. I have never done it but it sounds like it works.

The fish I caught was full of corn and nothing else and the corn kernals looked like they were to large to pass through its orfice, unless it can stretch a lot. Larger fish should be able to pass it with no problem, but the undersized fish I dont think could.
  • Nat1976Nat1976 Posts: 497 Officer
    Oh they can stretch alot :wink
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,852 Captain
    I am sorry i just can't see corn killing a fish. I am sure the fish can poop it out okay. May have to strain a little but, I've been there too.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    I wrote to ask fwc and ask them, this is the response I got back.

FWC has no regulations with regard to the use of corn as a chum ingredient. I am a bit surprised to hear that the snapper actually consumed the corn as this would certainly not be a part of their normal diet. Did this happen on April 1st? It seems like a lot of strange things happen on that day for some reason. Please give me a call if I can be of any further assistance. Thanks, Alan Peirce (850-617-9647

So go ahead and put corn in your chum, it really seems to work.
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 940 Officer
    Cracked corn has been used for yellowtailing for years but it has lost favor here in the Keys and bait shops have stopped selling it. I too haver heard that the fish cannot digest it. Use horse feed (rolled oats, oat grits) pasta or rice instead.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Bream, specifically bluegills will eat it.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
  • capttimcapttim Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    Psst......couscous
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 940 Officer
    Cytranic wrote: »
    pssst....SAnd...

Again...sand balling (a mixture of sand, oats, thawed chum) is very old school and it works very well...You make a ball and put your hooked bait inside. But this makes a big mess of you and your boat. It is felt by many here in the Keys that it is not healthy for the coral reef to have lots of sand dumped upon it. Some of the party boats would carry out 55 gallon barrels of the stuff years ago.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 806 Officer
    It scares me that a FWC member would be clueless to the use of corn. He questioned why a fish would eat corn, they eat just about anything, especially when it has been soaking in a chum solution. Hell, why do fish eat hot pink lures and skirts? I fished with a KW captain who refused to use corn and made the same comment. He has been fishing for 30 plus years, I am going with him before I listen to any one from the SAFM or FWC at this point.
  • chumbags1976chumbags1976 Posts: 100 Officer
    It is illegal up north for trout fishing because of digusting.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 749 Officer
    It is illegal up north for trout fishing because of digusting.

only in certain areas.......if it killed trout,you would see them floating 2 days after a stocking..
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 630 Officer
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    The fish I caught was full of corn and nothing else and the corn kernals looked like they were to large to pass through its orfice, unless it can stretch a lot. Larger fish should be able to pass it with no problem, but the undersized fish I dont think could.

Would image corn would pass. Have caught several reds over the years in the process of passing hooks and jig heads.
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Officer
    Though not a "farm boy"....

At one time I was a hunter and would shoot geese every now and then.

A farmer that I knew who had a few hundred dairy cows had spread out his cows poo on a field the day before and now there were hundreds of geese in it...

I asked him why and he said that he needed to adjust the wheels on his "corn smasher" (I use smasher cause I can't remember what he called it)

Puzzled...I asked what that had to do with the geese. He gave me a lesson on corn.

He told me that no animal...other than ones with gizzards.... can break the outer "skin" of corn.....no animal.....they can digest the insides, but only if the outside is busted up or torn off. If the rollers on his corn masher are too far apart much of the corn will slip through unscathed and be whole in the poo.....it too tight then it get's powdered and jammed up.

We walked out into the field and there was much whole corn in the poo.

Someone said that it was illegal to fish for trout with it cause it would kill them...which simply can't be found anywhere.

I did find this info from Pennsylvania F&G who actually did studies on it....

"Commission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet.
    During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet."

Some say that "rice" is ok to chum with and corn is not.

We even have those who have tearfully said that rice thrown at weddings kills birds...which is another urban legend.

Even the Audubon Society has said that they know of no bird ever dying from eating rice...
    On Wednesday, 1/25/2017...Florida Sportsman "Big Kahunna"......"Triple Threat 33T" gave his "official word"...and greasy thumb print...by saying....."Here's your written rules Schmidty, No Politics in OT. You're welcome."

...and with that history was made...:)
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,432 Captain
    A yellowtail is one of the nastiest fish in the sea. We called them **** wrasslers. They will eat anything including feces.
    If you use rice, it is best to cook it first so it has already absorbed water. Uncooked rice could swell up and expand in the digestive track once wet and kill the fish. I don't think that birds ingest enough water to have this problem.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    That's not true.

Science experiment for you.... Bring home a bucket of seawater and throw in some rice watch how long it takes to expand without adding heat... I bet you'll be surprised.
    The only way to get rice to expand is boiling water....

Rice that is first boiled....allowed to cool and evaporate most of the moisture and then soaked in bunker oil is "da bomb"..
    On Wednesday, 1/25/2017...Florida Sportsman "Big Kahunna"......"Triple Threat 33T" gave his "official word"...and greasy thumb print...by saying....."Here's your written rules Schmidty, No Politics in OT. You're welcome."

• tennmiketennmike Posts: 400 Deckhand
    Schmidty wrote: »
    Though not a "farm boy"....

At one time I was a hunter and would shoot geese every now and then.

A farmer that I knew who had a few hundred dairy cows had spread out his cows poo on a field the day before and now there were hundreds of geese in it...

I asked him why and he said that he needed to adjust the wheels on his "corn smasher" (I use smasher cause I can't remember what he called it)

Corn crusher or feed mill; depends on which one he had. Corn crusher cracks dried corn into chunks for cows to digest. Feed mill shreds EVERYTHING fed into it. From description sounds like he had a worn out corn crusher.

Puzzled...I asked what that had to do with the geese. He gave me a lesson on corn.

Geese, ducks, crows, seagulls, most any bird will pick the corn kernels out of cow poop. So will raccoons, squirrels, and possums.

Someone said that it was illegal to fish for trout with it cause it would kill them...which simply can't be found anywhere.

I did find this info from Pennsylvania F&G who actually did studies on it....

"Commission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet.
    During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet."

Assuming you're talking about freshwater trout, here's the skinny on that. Green Giant Niblets corn is THE bait for newly released hatchery trout. They're hungry and haven't learned to forage for themselves yet, the corn looks sorta like food, and they eat it. The kernels have the sharp end cut off, the corn is already precooked and soft, and they can digest it just fine. Three or four kernels of corn on a short shank hook, and a little chumming with the corn, will get you your limit pretty quick. As to the trout fed only corn, I can see that they would grow slower than the trout fed pellets containing all the protein and nutrients/trace minerals they need. Any old country boy could have told them what would happen.

As to cows, just a FYI. They need a lot of grass or hay to go with any corn, silage, or other 'not grass' feed. Cows regurgitate and chew a cud to prepare the food for the next stomach in line to be digested. They can't regurgitate corn, other grains, or silage as a cud, so if they don't have the grass/hay to entrain the other stuff, the corn/grain just passes on out without being digested. You can starve a cow to death feeding it only corn, sweet feed, and feed pellets.
    Cool stuff Mike..:)

Like I said...I really ain't no farm boy...

• fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,246 Officer
    There's so much BS and ignorance in this post I know it didn't come from eating corn! Yellowtails, one of the nastiest fish in the sea? They eat something because they can get nutrients from it; same as any snapper, grouper, flounder, redfish, or any species of fish. Uncooked rice does not expand in the digestive system of fish, people, bears, dogs, intergalactic aliens or anything else. Eat a spoonful and check your t**ds 24 hours later; you could clean the rice up and reuse it!! And, if a yellowtail can pass a 1/4oz freshwater worm sinker (I finished pulling it out) then a mere kernel of corn is headed right on through.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file