"Beautiful Day To Chase Cobia" Homosassa 3/29/2012

Seas were flat, wind was perfect, water temps. are on the rise, it was one nice day to chase the brown bombers. We had decided to go out and fish a wreck in 25 ft. but on the way we would hit some good structure spots . First stop Mrs. Ruff One hooks up, and after a few runs, gets off. Next I connect and of all things, the brand new circle hook breaks in half, fish gone! Finally Gail boats one and it's 1/4 in. short! Oh well, we move on and head out to our final destination. Set up, chum bag out and the current is perfect. The grouper started hammering out baits, and they are rocking us up big time.(When grouper season gets here they are in trouble). We can't lock our reels down, because the cobia will break us off, so we suffer. Then the big one shows up, and Gail has him hooked up. He fighting it out in back of the boat, and Gail's trying to keep him off the wreck, but he finally gets there and he's gone. There's a smaller one with Gail's, and I pitch my 8 In. Hammer Head Jig and he hits it. In the boat he goes, but he's short also. It was one nice day to chase cobia, and we had a ball. The big one's out there, and we'll be back!!
Gail's trying to stretch him out!!
100_3536.jpg
HammerHead special nailed this one.
100_3549.jpg
Release shot.
100_3552.jpg
Enjoy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Great report R1. Even the small cobia are a blast. Hope I find that big one this weekend.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Oh you guys are living right :thumbsup looks like some smooth water out that way RO :Rockon
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Nice job Tom and Gail. It was a beautiful day indeed. You are on those ling for sure!
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • NickCRNickCR Posts: 50 Deckhand
    Looks like a blast!!! Hopefully the big boys will start cooperating better for you soon.
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Ruff, you and Gail are the cobia king and queen! Very nice. If I ever get one this year, I'll be calling asking for a good recipe. :)
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • RyanStahl_RRTRyanStahl_RRT Posts: 105 Officer
    Thanks the report and pics, man those are some flats sea's, it's about time we are getting a break from the wind
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,694 Captain
    Looks like Ya had the weather :thumbsup
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • flatitudeflatitude Posts: 42 Deckhand
    That water looks beautiful. Nice job on the cobes.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,510 Captain
    It's great to see some flat water in the backgroung....
    Yea, when Grouper season opens up the water will have warmed up and the Grouper will be in deeper water...I think the feds planned that to keep Jimmy off the fish...:grin
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,768 Captain
    By putting the season in the middle of the summer, it puts me out of the game. Right now I would run plugs over those areas and those grouper would be out of the rock up game. And, there are some major size grouper shallow right now!!!! Oh, well. Thanks NOAA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ReelhootReelhoot Posts: 251 Officer
    RO, have you ever given thought to "tagging" cobes to aid in some research?If so, I can get you hooked up (pun intended) with the right person!
    Last year I got a call from a guy in Ocala,Bud Sager, telling me that he caught 2 cobia at the same spot that I had tagged them a year and a week earlier. They were now keepers and went home as tablefare.

Anyway, if interested-get in touch!
    Reelhoot
    http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p341728

FOR RENT: Beautiful 2 bed 2 bath condo in Hunter Springs, Crystal River
  • HighPlainsDrifterHighPlainsDrifter Posts: 270 Officer
    Right on bud! I was out there Monday with no luck. Im gonna get after'em this weekend though, leave me some.
    "I live in a free country. I've got all the licenses, registrations, and permits to prove it!" :huh
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Posts: 1,690 Captain
    Way to go Ruff Ones! What a day!! I can feel for Ya w/ those shorties, earlier this week my only cobe was about 2" short!> GRRRRR! Good thing Louie was in the boat to catch the keeper! My #2 Son may come this weekend and is dying to catch a Bigun so I may be out there w/ the weekend crowds!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Ruff, looks like you made the FS Home Page with this one. Good job!
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,035 Officer
    that's some nice weather you guys had out there, and sounds like a lot of action was had. Just a matter of time and you will have that 50lb fish in the box.
  • andy5757andy5757 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    I lost an almost keeper then a big one came round......28 lbs. on 15 lb. braid.......lovely tussle! Out of Horseshoe.......
    Now that you've got a post up, tell us the story about the tussle!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • andy5757andy5757 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Well...........fishing solo, saw fish swim by and tossed lighter rod w/ live shrimp at him/her, no hit, preped larger rod with pinfish to toss and while not paying attention shrimp bobber under, near channel marker, anchored, fish takes off fortunately offshore missing a cut-off with marker, untie anchor rope with float and toss over, chase fish, chase fish some more, then it circles boat for what seemed like 50 times as I debate gaff or net, one handed of course, made right decision on gaff and hoisted in waiting large igloo. Yes!! All by 11:00 am! A good day defined!!
    Half the cobia my wife has caught have been on shrimp. She's always looking thru the live well after the biggest one in there. Good job on getting him to and in the boat!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file