Looking for a new bottom reel

001001 Posts: 4,292 Officer
I currently use a Penn Torque 300 and a Pro Gear for bottom fishing. Looking to get another reel. What do yall use and recommend? Anyone use a Diawa Saltist Black Gold 40?

Replies

• a-salt-weapona-salt-weapon Posts: 202 Deckhand
    Whats up Ben?
    Go get yourself an accurate. Expensive but well worth it for heavy braid. :fishing
  • PhishingPhanaticPhishingPhanatic Posts: 449 Deckhand
    For bottom fishing in the Tortugas, I use Accurates, if you don't want to shell out that kind of money, I would reccomend the Daiwa Saltist, it is a lot of reel for the money.
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Officer
    Whats up Ben?
    Go get yourself an accurate. Expensive but well worth it for heavy braid. :fishing

Garrett,

Just got back from the Bahamas again and ready to setup another bottom rig. It was funny watching my cowboy friend almost get pulled in by a big AJ. I have a Star Delux broomstick just sitting around and it needs a mate. What model Accurate would be good? One of the captains did not like some of the Accurates for trolling. I'm sure it wouldn't be the same model.
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    Take a look at Avets. I've got an SX and an LX and love em! Small and light but they've got a heck of a lot of power for their size!

Good luck,
    Alex
  • LoganLogan Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Avet LX, I have three of them and would not buy another lever drag. Holds about 650 yds of 65 braid. Avet's costomer service is second to none.
  • FlagtailsFlagtails Posts: 573 Officer
    001 wrote: »
    I currently use a Penn Torque 300 and a Pro Gear for bottom fishing. Looking to get another reel. What do yall use and recommend? Anyone use a Diawa Saltist Black Gold 40?

I have and have liked both the Accurate's and the Saltiga Star drag reels. I use them in the Bahamas and the Tortuga's since their debute. I like both of these BUT if I were to buy a new reel it would be the Okuma Makaira. You really owe it to yourself to look at this reel. It carries a 5 year warrantee which is unheard of in the industry. Go online a view the tutorials at alantani.com or the reviews on bloodydecks.com. You will not be able to appreciate it's construction until you hold one in your hands. Crook and Crook in Miami has them. Really go and take a look before you fork over the $$$ on any reel.

Juan
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,297 Captain
    BUT if I were to buy a new reel it would be the Okuma Makaira. You really owe it to yourself to look at this reel. It carries a 5 year warrantee which is unheard of in the industry. Go online a view the tutorials at alantani.com or the reviews on bloodydecks.com. You will not be able to appreciate it's construction until you hold one in your hands. Crook and Crook in Miami has them. Really go and take a look before you fork over the $$$ on any reel.

Juan[/QUOTE]

X2 And the double dogs are much more reliable than the anti-reverse bearing found in the Accurate "B" series.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• FlagtailsFlagtails Posts: 573 Officer
    If these reels catch on here on the East Coast like their are catching on out on the West Coast, the other manufacturers will have to step it up. If anyone goes online and looks on the forums like bloodydecks.com or 360tuna.com you will see how many people are selling the Accurates and Daiwa's or just not buying them any more to switch to the Makaira. I wasn't convinced until I held one in my hand. They really are a sweet reel.

Juan
  • rookiemistakerookiemistake Posts: 1,143 Officer
    penn baja special if money is tight.shimano torsa, accurate,alutecnos gorilla....Are you using braid or mono?what size fish?
  • Prop BlastProp Blast Posts: 375 Officer
    It really doesn't get any better than a Penn 113HN Baja Special for bottom fishing. For the $$$ ($249) it just beats the snot out of anything else.

PB
    penn baja special if money is tight.shimano torsa, accurate,alutecnos gorilla....Are you using braid or mono?what size fish?

80 Braid
  • eddiejoeeddiejoe Posts: 586 Officer

I have both a Daiwa Satist 30 and a 40. They both are good, but I tend to use the 30 more because it is lighter. Personally, I like a star drag reel like the Saltist for bottom fishing, and a lever drag for trolling or live baiting offshore. While a lever drag reel of quality has the guts to hold a big fish, I find a lever drag annoying for drop and stop bottom fishing. So, yes, the Saltist is recommended by me. Choose your size based on line capacity and application. I rarely fish deeper than 75', so the smaller reels (Saltist 30) work fine for bottom fishing, and they have plenty of drag capacity.

But it is personal preference. I find myself going lighter and lighter as I age and the bag limits get smaller and smaller. I want to have the most fun with the few fish I am allowed to keep. I don't remember losing a fish because my tackle was too light when I used the Saltist 30 in the depths I fish, other than when I hook a goliath now and then, by mistake.

Luck,

EJ
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,376 Admiral
    Trinidad.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,580 Admiral
    johnD wrote: »
    Torium is a good reel.

It is a good reel once you do the drag and antireverse upgrade and install the spring loaded dogs for A R backup.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

I meant Trinidad, but yeah the Torium is a good reel also.
    johnD wrote: »
    I meant Trinidad, but yeah the Torium is a good reel also.

The upgrade I just mentioned makes a Torium pretty close to a trini for alot less money.

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Spineyman wrote: »
    The upgrade I just mentioned makes a Torium pretty close to a trini for alot less money.

Where are you getting the upgrades, Alan Tani ?
    Yep... I wouldn't bottom fish for grouper without it...

I have a Torium and the AR quit working on it. It happened while I was fishing in the Bahamas last year. I wasn't happy about it. I took it to a shop to get repaired and they couldn't fix it. It has slack in the crank shaft. If you push the handle in (toward the reel) the AR will work fine. If the reel handle is pulled away from the reel, then the AR will not work. The reel repair guy said I would have to send it back to Shimano. Will the upgraded parts fix my reel?
    Contact Bantam 1 on here in the manufacture section and see if he will take care of the problem for you. Then get with alantani and get extra parts and do the upgrade yourself.

• FritzFritz Posts: 253 Officer

You didn't say which Pro Gear you're using, if it's the Albacore Special line then your already fishing two really nice star drag reels. The old Penn Torques are being discontinued and can be bought at great prices if you shop around and the new Penn Torques look awesome, not sure how they perform but I'd guess they are pretty good.

I get the impression your like star drag over lever, if that's the case then Avet and Accurate are out, saddly. You want a really cool lever drag reel though, hunt down a Tiburon Smart Shift, it's an automatic two speed, kind of pricey but very well built and capable.
    Fritz wrote: »
    You didn't say which Pro Gear you're using, if it's the Albacore Special line then your already fishing two really nice star drag reels. The old Penn Torques are being discontinued and can be bought at great prices if you shop around and the new Penn Torques look awesome, not sure how they perform but I'd guess they are pretty good.

I get the impression your like star drag over lever, if that's the case then Avet and Accurate are out, saddly. You want a really cool lever drag reel though, hunt down a Tiburon Smart Shift, it's an automatic two speed, kind of pricey but very well built and capable.

Pro Gear Wahoo Special

I'm not the fan of lever drags for bottom reels. I usually don't do the fishing on my boat. I work the drift and let friends drop. A star drag makes it easier for them which makes it easier for me.

Drive boat, bait hooks, untangle lines, unhook fish, hold boat over spot.......you get the point. With 3-4 lines down on a drift and big fish biting, it can get hectic quick. The easier it is for me the better.
  • Reeltight79Reeltight79 Posts: 70 Deckhand
    Avet

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file