Penn Squall 30LD Line and Rod Recommendation

HighpocketsHighpockets Posts: 30 Deckhand
I am going to be moving to Cape Coral within the next year. I recently picked up a Penn Squall 30LD to bring down there. It will be my only conventional reel for a while until I can figure out what I will be fishing for etc. I expect to fish inshore. I would appreciate any Rod recommendations you might offer. Something up to the $100 to $150 range would be preferrred.

Equally important to me is the line choice. I'm thinking 30 lb, but am open to local knowledge/expertise. Even more useful would be a braid vs. mono recommendation. This thing will hold 775 yds of 30 lb braid, or 260 yds of 30 lb mono. Should I spend the $150 or so to put braid on it? Will I ever need that much line and the the abrasion resistance etc of braid?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• MiamipescadorMiamipescador Posts: 696 Officer
    Mono has better abrasion resistance than braid, i would spool 20-30 lb mono on that reel.
    Momoi High Catch is all i use for 20 lb and up mono, and suffix siege is very good in the lower lb classes
  • HighpocketsHighpockets Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Thanks Miamipescador. Does everyone else agree?
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Officer
    Well I wouldnt do 30# braid on that, if I was going to do braid id do 50# or 65#. Id also wanna know what kinda fishing you are going to be doing with it?
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,376 Admiral
    hard to recommend a line when you don't know what species you're going after.people who use braid tend to use mono backing they don't slap a 1/2 miles worth of braid on it..if your trolling you don't want braid.
    I guess my fantasy is to use the reel to catch big Tarpon and maybe Snook.
    mono backing with 300 yards of #50 braid will be more than enough.
    Good point JohnD. I wasn't even thinking about using mono backing if I went with braid. Thanks for that thought.
    Talavera 20-50 is a decent rod.

KhegF.jpg
  • MiamipescadorMiamipescador Posts: 696 Officer
    I would still do straight mono. Why do people use braid for tarpon?
    If you want more line capacity do BRAID BACKING and Mono Topshot
    to drive that hook home , unless you're in the boca rodeo ,crossing lines and what not.
    Thanks guys. Much appreciated insight.
  • joshuajoshua Posts: 206 Officer
    wrote:
    Should I spend the $150 or so to put braid on it? Will I ever need that much line and the the abrasion resistance etc of braid?

just some more insight....I line these things all day long your looking at about 100$ in braid (.14 a yard power pro) mono would be around .04 a yard(momi brand)
  • FlagtailsFlagtails Posts: 573 Officer
    I would still do straight mono. Why do people use braid for tarpon?
    If you want more line capacity do BRAID BACKING and Mono Topshot

I agree.

Juan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file