best terminal knot for 60# mono...

Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,799 Moderator
Without getting into details of why... I need to know what you guys think THE best knot (in terms of breaking strength) is for tying a hook / swivel / lure to 60# mono.

Bimini and then an offhsore knot to someting is not an option. Needs to be one relatively low profile terminal knot.

Whatcha got?
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• BareHookBareHook Posts: 42 Deckhand
    The following link will show you how its tied,

http://www.netknots.com/html/san_diego_jam_knot.html

San Diego Jam Knot
    Not particularly well known outside of the sport fishing capital of San Diego this knot is an excellent choice for all line types: mono, fluorocarbon and braided. Originated as a quick and reliable way to tie the heavy “iron” jigs by the fishermen chasing tuna on the long range boats venturing into Mexican waters, it is fast and easy to tie. Make sure the knot is fully set by hooking the lure or jig to a fixed object and pulling hard. Just let the lure hang down while making the wraps. Then hook the lure to the rail of the boat (skippers hate this!) and pull it tight.

It is also now being used with braided lines and has become popular with fishermen going after Peacock Bass in South America with 30-50 pound test braids. Can be tied with confidence in braided line, monofilament and fluorocarbon line.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,522 Admiral
    X2 on the San Diego Jam Knot
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,799 Moderator
    Cool.

I typically have heavier than needed braid and mono and then just tie the two together using different knots... none of which are 100%, hence the need to step each up a notch.

Recently I spooled two reels with hollow core and spliced end loops for 60# wind-on leaders. With that connection now being both low profile and 100%, I was able to get by with 60 mono... but now it is imperative that I get every last bit of breaking strength out of the knot that I use to tie that wind-on to something. Much like the guys out west tying their wind-ons to heavy casting irons.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,799 Moderator
    A pretty convincing nod for the SD Knot. Of course this article does not discuss different line weights.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/bass/where-fish/2009/02/strongest-fishing-knots
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,522 Admiral
    I use it on all my connections to all my terminal tackle in all size lines and have for over 40 years.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• MiamipescadorMiamipescador Posts: 696 Officer
    Uni/double uni works for me.
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    3 turn uni if bulkness of it is a factor, if not, 4 turn uni
  • Frank JigFrank Jig Posts: 58 Deckhand
    Uni/double uni works for me.

same here...no problem with heavier lb leader either...
  • fishstickerfishsticker Posts: 500 Deckhand
    San Diego knot. I've been using that knot for 15 years and didn't know it's name. I use it on everything from grouper rigs to bream hooks. Mono, braid, and flouro. It works!
    "Those that give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither."
    Benjamin Franklin
  • NauticalWheelerNauticalWheeler Posts: 440 Officer
    A pretty convincing nod for the SD Knot. Of course this article does not discuss different line weights.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/bass/where-fish/2009/02/strongest-fishing-knots

x4 on the SD Jam Knot. I use it in up to 80 lb fluoro with no problems...just drop down to 4 turns. It's also a good knot for tying line to a spool (mono or braid).
  • snake birdsnake bird Posts: 1,023 Officer
    the 6 turn reverse black widow is all i tie
  • GatoRellaGatoRella Posts: 518 Officer
    Split Shot wrote: »

This it the one I use on mono 20lb and up, never failed me and very fast to tie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • El PescadorEl Pescador Posts: 186 Officer
    polymar.
    El Pescador formerly known as "El-Pescador"
    Original FS member since before Al Gore invented the internet.
    Previous post count 14,125,253
    Oh and "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
    Doug Larson"
    fspicbanner-1-1.jpg
  • HydroHydro Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Another vote for the San Diego Jam knot, if low profile is not an issue I use a double San Diego which is just the same knot tied with a doubled line.
  • FlagtailsFlagtails Posts: 573 Officer
    If you ever watch "Knot Wars" on TV, the San Diego knot beat the Palomar knot for strength. The Palomar can be tough to tie when using heavier mono such as 60lb. It just doesn't set correctly. I think I will be switching to the San Diego knot going forward.

Juan
  • MahiMahi Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    The san diego Jam knot is a very strong knot and i like it alot, for most local fishing i use a standard uni knot
    I can tie it fast and properly in a hot bite situation.
    Another fav from the SD LR boats is the trilene knot, do a youtube or google search and you will see this is
    also a very good knot and pretty easy to tie.
    A good friend and one of the skippers of a Long range boat in SD likes this as his personal Fav, we did some testing on it against others while on the boat with some down time one day and the results were pretty conclusive.
    The times this knot comes into it's own is when after large fish and you need to really hammer down the drags as with
    grouper and AJ's around wrecks, on the trilene the line passes twice through the eye of the hook before wrapping onto itself and cinching down
    What this does is takes pressure off the regular singe pass usually used in most knots at the eye and gives more insurance by distributing the load

Yeah maybe getting a little technical but wanted to give you another consideration for knots we will use for lock down fighting situations.
    it certainly helps to learn knots like that which if tied correctly will pass the test against brutes like 200+ yellowfin.
    Also the uni becomes a doubled uni (doubling the leader before tying) when tying knots instead of crimping for large tuna rigs.
    Most the local FL fish will be fine with the single pass style knots,(if tied correctly).
    I'll use a uni for the majority of local fishing but when i go long range to fish of over 100+ pounds i like the trilene
    and i also use the trilene when fishing butterfly jigs and dropping live baits for grouper.

remember when tying uni, sd jam, or trilene to make sure none of the wraps bunch over or cross the others, if this happens you may get away with it on light drag but hook a decent tuna, AJ or fish that requires higher drags and the line twisted wraps will snip the others off under that pressure.
  • NauticalWheelerNauticalWheeler Posts: 440 Officer
    I used to use the Trilene knot all the time (and still do if connecting braid to swivels), but have also found that it can be mis-tied pretty easily....I don't like it when the loops cross each other, and don't like that it relies on friction between the line and the eye of the hook.

I fish for bluefin tuna on occasion, and have a friend that fishes for them a lot more than I do, and we've both settled on the SD jam knot. (He used to use the Uni or palomar). My largest fish so far was a 208 lb bigeye tuna, using drag of 22-25 lb, in an epic battle that lasted around 1.5 hours. He just caught a 211 lb bluefin about a week ago. Anyway I am completely sold on the SD jam knot... it does not slip at all, it's easy to tie correctly, and on the rare times when I tie it incorrectly it's easy to see that something is wrong. I also like that it doesn't waste much line.
  • RCarbonRCarbon Posts: 256 Officer
    Snelled if you do not need the action of a loop knot.. Loop Knot, try the Homer Rhodes loop knot. Small and tracks straight.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,095 Admiral
    I mostly use a loop knot, especially with live bait.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file