Locks at Queens harbor??

Looking at google earth, it looks like there are a pair of locks at the entrance to the water way to Queens harbor yacht club area water....whats the deal with that? Are you able to go in there at any tide or is dead low to shallow??
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Nitro Performance Bass Boats

Replies

• catfishincatfishin Posts: 976 Officer
    Any tide, residents only. Houses past the lock are on a fresh water lagoon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nitroskiffnitroskiff Posts: 1,618 Captain
    that sucks
  • willybigboywillybigboy Posts: 205 Deckhand
    evil 1% ers
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    nitroskiff wrote: »
    that sucks

Why?

Wouldn't you rather keep your boat in freshwater if you lived there?
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,015 Captain
    It's freshwater in there and a great way to keep their boats.
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • BigchocolatelabBigchocolatelab Posts: 129 Officer
    Hey guys, you are right you do need to live in Queens Harbor in order to fish in there. Their are some big fish in there though. As you can see Blaine Gabbert figured out the red bite.
    gabbert.jpg
    gabbert2.jpg

If he could get it together on the field he will be a fan favorite if he keeps pulling in those slob reds along with some wins.
    yep/.....you know that place is full of land locked reds and snook.......oh well, just another area of limits to the average angler......
  • mikeg32225mikeg32225 Posts: 543 Officer
    I know someone who lives there. I can get you in to fish. All catch and release.

willybigboy

evil 1% ers

William your funny.

Mike
    Bigchocalatelab.......looks like you do pretty good in there also by your fishing reports :)

Mikeg32225....I have no problem with catch and release....:)
  • catfishincatfishin Posts: 976 Officer
    Hey Mike, who do you know that lives in there ? LOL, W.

(know anyone that knows how to operate that lock ?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    haha yeah I need to start photo cropping my pics in my reports. In reality that place does have some good fish though. Seen big poons and black drum in there at times. Security can be a bia though.
  • WildLinesWildLines Posts: 547 Officer
    My 3yr old and I have gotten on some wild and crazy wide open Pinfish bites of my dads dock in QH :)

the reds are thicker down by the lock where the salty water is....don't start thinking it is some amazing red fishing in the QH lake....it is not like you would rather fish QH over a rake in sister. It is fun to see a schoold of mangrove snapper inside the lock chase and devour the shrimp caught in there.

QH is a great boaters community with a great lake and marina, but like all things it has its pluses and minuses.
  • Captain BrianCaptain Brian Posts: 336 Officer
    What? No comment from Tone-Loc yet? Bet he's got some secrets to tell about QH.
  • UnderslotUnderslot Posts: 370 Officer
    actually some cheap houses in there... if you could just sell the one you have.
  • Huntress lives there. We have trout, croaker, drum, reds, mangroves up to 10lbs and pinfish. It is catch and release. I catch my pinfish the day before and release them in 125 feet!! LOL!
  • Chosen1Chosen1 Posts: 135 Officer
    10lb mangos in the lake where do I sign up
  • Chosen1 wrote: »
    10lb mangos in the lake where do I sign up

They show up every spring and maul pogies just inside the lagoon next to the lock doors. I usually have a top water lure ready when we do Fort George and get one on the way out and one on the way back unless I have been wrapped up in the doors. They are smart and big. The lagoon is loaded depending on the time of year. As far as cheap houses, they are 40 percent down from the peak. I would find it interesting to learn what underslot defines as cheap. Tight lines.
  • Captain BrianCaptain Brian Posts: 336 Officer
    I couldn't afford the association fees! :rotflmao
  • I couldn't afford the association fees! :rotflmao

They stink!!
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    They stink!!

What are they currently running at?
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • Chosen1Chosen1 Posts: 135 Officer
    Todd you think those fish are in there all the time and just grew that big in the lake or do you think they are ocean fish that come in every year
  • Chosen1 wrote: »
    Todd you think those fish are in there all the time and just grew that big in the lake or do you think they are ocean fish that come in every year

I have been trying to figure that out. They seem to vanish in the fall and winter and come spring there are hundreds of them. As the water drops in the lock they go nuts feeding. Last year we had a big shrimp run through the lock and the mangroves where especially thick. There are some pinfish that push a pound and I can usually load the livewell in a couple of hours. It is good father son time. The fees run 250/month for water front owners. I justify it by what it would cost me for a slip or dry storage. Still hate the quarterly bill!
    I would find it interesting to learn what underslot defines as cheap. Tight lines.

Some **** nice houses in there for under 500k... Given these are 1mil houses I call that cheap. Sorry, I'm just pissed because I can't sell the two I have and the are some sick deals out there for waterfront property. Nothing worse than having the desire and funds to buy your dream house but being stuck in what you have. In the 90s, when I got into the real estate game and before the bubble you could ALWAYS get out of your house at break even or just loosing your closing costs... Miss those days.
  • QH is not a friendly community to fisherman. The "old" regime looks down on us and has tried to manipulate the rules and regs to limit our ability to use the facilities. They have been unsuccessful but I would not recommend the community and would move if values where there. One upside, I have only painted the bottom of Huntress once in 6 years.
    Is that what those fish were in the locks ........huge mangroves? I thought they were big tilapia.....haha. Everytime I'd pitch baits at them, they would spook. I knew they were something crazy. I'd love to live in there man. Those houses are sick. All those gated communities look down on inshore fishermen it seems like. O well just motivation to try and become that 1%er.
  • WildLinesWildLines Posts: 547 Officer
    I am not saying it doesn't exist, but I was not aware of any wanterfront houses in ther for under 500k.
    bro they're ALL over jax and St. Auggie... if you can make it happen now's the time!
  • WildLines wrote: »
    I am not saying it doesn't exist, but I was not aware of any wanterfront houses in ther for under 500k.

I think you would have to get close to 700K to be on the water other than buying one that has to be gutted which would put you right back in the 700 range.
  • reefdonkeyreefdonkey Posts: 85 Greenhorn
    i can definately vouch for the HUGE mangroves. i was in the lock waiting to get out one day and saw them terrorrizing the mullet inside the lock as the water went down. i saw one stud eat a 10 inch mullet like it was a grass shrimp. the lock master didnt even bat an eye at them as if they are there everyday. i dont go in and out of there very much but i was pretty impressed by their snapper population. it reminded me of the huge mangroves you see at the fuel docks in the bahamas.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file